• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,349 posts in this topic

I'm with you on the Seven Seas!

sevenseas.jpg

I was offered the original art to that cover recently.

Guy was asking $50K. I thought it was a little on the high side even for such a terrific cover.

Of all the "All-Picture All-True" St. John rebound giants, that Police Cases (#2) might be the hardest to find. Besides your copy, I've only ever seen one other. All-Picture All-True Love Story #2 is probably just as scarce, I only know of three copies (including your's, John).

That Seven Seas #4 is awe inspiring. That book is now very high on my own want list. But at least I did find a lower grade All Top #16 this year.

Did Baker do anything for Fox other than Phantom Lady stories?

He contributed to the jungle titles (Zoot, Jo-Jo, Rulah, etc.). Some of his covers and interior work is easily identified, but he often collaborated with other Fox artists (like Jack Kamen), and in many instances there is some debate as to what he contributed. Sometimes he did just layouts, or just certain figures and faces.

He contributed to the jungle titles (Zoot, Jo-Jo, Rulah, etc.). Some of his covers and interior work is easily identified, but he often collaborated with other Fox artists (like Jack Kamen), and in many instances there is some debate as to what he contributed. Sometimes he did just layouts, or just certain figures and faces.

Thanks. I can see the difficulty in attribution, as a lot of the "Kamenish" art in the Fox books is similar to Baker's style as well. Is any Fox "crime" stuff attributed to him? Obviously he did a fair amount for St. John ( though I've never read any of it) ..

For that matter are their any crime interiors for St. John by Baker that are considered exceptional work? For me, while the Crime Reporter covers are great, I have to admit that the APC covers he did for the most part aren't that dynamic. It seems Romance was really his forte.

Thanks. I can see the difficulty in attribution, as a lot of the "Kamenish" art in the Fox books is similar to Baker's style as well. Is any Fox "crime" stuff attributed to him? Obviously he did a fair amount for St. John ( though I've never read any of it) ..

For that matter are their any crime interiors for St. John by Baker that are considered exceptional work? For me, while the Crime Reporter covers are great, I have to admit that the APC covers he did for the most part aren't that dynamic. It seems Romance was really his forte.

Without consulting the reference material, I'm not sure if Baker worked on any Fox crime. I don't think so. But he did quite a few crime stories with St. John in Authentic Police Cases. I'm not sure about "exceptional", but many of those stories are every bit as good as his best efforts in the romance titles.

I'm with you on the Seven Seas!

sevenseas.jpg

I was offered the original art to that cover recently.

Guy was asking $50K. I thought it was a little on the high side even for such a terrific cover.

I was offered the same piece for the same price more than 5 years ago. Obviously the market is not ready to pay that much. That, and who has $50K sitting around?

Mitigating factor- if it was the cover to #4 I'd take out a loan.

Edited by comixnoir

It's not Baker Romance... but it's Atomic Baker! :cloud9:

Atomic4cgc96.jpg

I totally love this cover! I've always love that Atomic logo, and I'm baffeled by WTF that machine is doing! Awesome pickup!

I was thinking the same thing. Apparently it's atomic! :D