• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show your Strange Adventures
2 2

511 posts in this topic

2 of my favorite SA covers!

SA_050.jpg

Love it!

The cover story was penciled and inked by Infantino and is superb. One of my favorite sci-fi stories by him.

It's not credited in the book (that I saw), but it sure looks similar to Infantino's pencil/ink work on the Elongated Man a decade later (even though his style changed pretty drastically in that time)

Julie Schwartz hated his inking (he preferred Anderson's clean line to Carmine's creative scratching) and wouldn't let him ink his own work on major characters and, never, so far as I can recall, on a cover. Elongated Man was pencils and inks by Infantino.

Sweet cover by Kane!

Gil signed this cover (you can see a GK to the left of the pilot's chair) which is a sign that he inked the piece himself. Both for productivity reasons and the taste of Julie Schwartz he was only allowed to do that on an infrequent basis.

One of the giveaways for his inking is that he made an extensive use of pen for drawing lines rather than a brush. He used the brush for folds/shadows and filling in large areas with black.

To date my earliest Strange Adventure. There were many great "earth" covers in the late 50's in this title along with Mystery in Space.

STA_103.jpg