• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show your Strange Adventures
2 2

511 posts in this topic

I agree! They should gave been featured instead of I Spy, or perhaps in place of those dreadful Strange Sports Stories in Brave & the Bold!

(thumbs u

The Atomic Knights were one of the most unique of the many non-superhero teams at DC. It’s one of the very few places where DC mentions the Cold War in the Silver Age.

DC was not inclined to mention the Soviets or any of its satellites as antagonists in the SA DC Universe. Only in the Atomic Knight stories is this hinted at (#117) -- in issue #144, its discovered that a race of Mole People actually set off the atomic war and all the other countries retaliated thinking the other guy struck first -- making the Western countries just as "guilty" as the Soviets.

It was an unwritten policy at DC not to show the Soviets or Communists in general as the antagonists of a story. One could speculate that some of the top editors at DC (Jack Schiff) were sympathizers with the left and chose not to show Communists in a bad light -- unlike Marvel, where there was never any question that the Commies were bad guys.

This could be the reason why the Knights were never given their own title and why they were dropped from the book just prior to Schiff taking over Strange Adventures as the editor.

Fun Fact: All the Communist villians of the Blackhawks disapeared from the series after they came over to DC from Quality. Who was the editor of the Hawks? Jack Schiff!

Edited by AtlasFan

Two other details regarding Jack Schiff:

1. He was the editor in charge of the one page public sevice announcements that ran in DC comics until the mid-sixties.

2. As an editor he left a lot to be desired. I don't believe that he had any of the better selling comics within the DC line. And under his tutelage the Batman titles were almost run into the ground.

rantrant

Interesting point about the PSAs...if you read them individually, they are quaint little tips on how young people should behave. However, if you read some of the social commentary PSA consecutively, there is definitely a pattern of thought that leans a bit to the left.

Here is a great list of all DC PSAs:

http://www.dcindexes.com/psa/index.php

On a positive note, if it was not for Schiff's lawsuit with Jack Kirby over some contractual obligations for the syndicated comic strip SKY MASTERS, Jack may not have left DC to join Marvel. Thats something to think about!

Ive been in an (Adam) Strange mood lately...

ST217.jpg

#217: One of my favorite covers... if I can get a high end copy it'll be slabbed for posterity sake.

ST218.jpg

#218: great condition copy 8.5-9.0 range love the colors.

ST242.jpg

#242 Another favorite cover from the end of the run.

Very nice book! :applause:

I remember way back during the early 1980's, as a kid, when my older brother was into collecting the Deadman run in Strange Adventures, especially those issues containing Neal Adams art.

If you've ever seen last year's release of the DC documentary film "Secret Origins. The Story of DC Comics", it's mentioned that Deadman was the only DC comic book/character that Marvel creators were reading/paying attention to during the late 1960's. Pretty much the rest of DC's output at that time were considered too campy or unhip. :gossip:

Interesting point about the PSAs...if you read them individually, they are quaint little tips on how young people should behave. However, if you read some of the social commentary PSA consecutively, there is definitely a pattern of thought that leans a bit to the left.

Here is a great list of all DC PSAs:

http://www.dcindexes.com/psa/index.php

When I started collecting back issues of DC in the 70's the PSAs were very influential on me. But I think they just crystalized service philosophies that both DC and Marvel showed throughout their stories. Let's face it, one of the enduring qualities of almost all comics in the code days was a deep sense of morality and helping your fellow man.

The last 10 cent Strange Adventure, November 1961. :cry: Cover art by Murphy Anderson. :cloud9:

STA_134.jpg

Love the cover. Strange Adventures was my favoirte Scyfy book back in the day. I used to sit at Cherokee Books in Hollywood, CAlif. and read whole piles of them. My dad (RIP ol' man) would give me two bucks and I'd buy twenty of them. It was the only comic book title he ever read. Scyfy was one of hs favorite genres and Ray Bradbury's "The Martian Chronicles" his favorite book. If you ever want to sell that book, LMK. Or I'll just have to find a copy some day.

SLR

The last 10 cent Strange Adventure, November 1961. :cry: Cover art by Murphy Anderson. :cloud9:

STA_134.jpg

Love the cover. Strange Adventures was my favoirte Scyfy book back in the day. I used to sit at Cherokee Books in Hollywood, CAlif. and read whole piles of them. My dad (RIP ol' man) would give me two bucks and I'd buy twenty of them. It was the only comic book title he ever read. Scyfy was one of hs favorite genres and Ray Bradbury's "The Martian Chronicles" his favorite book. If you ever want to sell that book, LMK. Or I'll just have to find a copy some day.

SLR

Thanks Steve, I will keep you in mind should I ever decide to sell. No plans to right now, but you never know.

Great memory on your dad giving you two dollars to buy comics. :grin:

I recall getting around 50 cents a week allowance when I was 10 to 12, and cannot remember ever buying more than

3 or 4 comics at a time. :flamed:

Won this on comiclink tonight. I am trying to complete the deadman run I have a couple raw I'll scan and post at some point.

strangeadventures206.jpg

Nice copy. I remember buying the issues at World Book and News on Hollywood Blvd. I'd buy my old ten-centers from the fifties and even the forties at Cheorkee Books and then I'd walk on over the Newsstand and buy the new books. Ah, those were the days.

SLR

Edited by Stevenrams