• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the most money you can imagine yourself spending on a single comic?

133 posts in this topic

i hope your happy with your choice. i could never sell my whole collection just for a comic. to me that is what saving money up is for.

I would be stoked ! Own AF 15 and Batman 1 ! That would make my day ! 2 books for 2 reasons. AF 15 is investment, Batman 1 is a book I REALLY want (1st JOKER !).

All of my other books are easy to replace IMO.

If only two comics would make you happy, more power to you. I think having a collection of comics I adore, within reason, is much more enjoyable than having a couple highly priced comics. There's much more treasure there than just monetary valued or significant (which really means desired by others) comics and a collection makes up for these perceived shortfalls in spades...

Jim

In my original post I said I was selling 90-95% plus. Alot of the stuff I have I just dont care about anymore. I read it, enjoyed it, and would like to get the chance to own a few comics I couldnt normally afford. For my collection, I would like to just collect keys, and specific storylines. I was making my statement more in line with the thread of how much I would spend, just happened to include my means to achievement.

And I have a rather large show stock which I sell, and will ultimately add my collection to. The books I keep will be favorite storylines, keys etc.. But the 2 books I mentioned would be highest amount paid for 1 book. I have no intention of collecting solely for monetary value, but more for the hunt. Not destroying my income is also part of that. I dont make $50k a year , so what money I have is reserved for my wedding, children, a house. So this is pretty much a second job (that I love !), as well as means to finally obtain books I have wanted (many for over 15 + years). When you look at statements for face value, it is misleading.

Also I have completed alot of my original goals and have moved on, but the long boxes are still there. And while AF 15 and Bats 1 were mentioned, there is a massive list of other books I want, that can be obtained for $100- $2k. Those examples were the most expensive. My personal Grail is also All-Star Comics #12 , V for Victory cover with the JSA. That book holds no REAL value, but is a piece of the comic culture and American Patriotism intertwined. And for that reason I hold that book EXTREMELY high in regards to a "classic" cover.

I will stop for now, as I could probably write a 3 page report on my reasons for comic collecting. Number 1 reason is still simple. I like to read them.

i hope your happy with your choice. i could never sell my whole collection just for a comic. to me that is what saving money up is for.

Lots of people wittle down their entire collection to own a few big books.

R.

R.

I thought my explanation made sense (shrug)

I think my spending threshold is $10,000 and that's for a low grade Batman #1 (popular book that on this thread) :

this just in, Metropolis just raised all Batman #1s in their inventory by 20%. :insane:

A couple years ago, I started a thread "What is the most you have ever spent on a single comic?".......My question now is "What is the most money you can imagine yourself spending on a single comic?"....

The most I have ever spent on a single comic is $600.....

I can imagine myself spending up to $10K for a BB 28 in CGC 9.0 or a nice JLA #1 in CGC 9.0....but I won't (and can't :whistle: ....mrs.spookley) go beyond that mark.....

so my ceiling is $10K...

I have a vivid imagination and I can IMAGINE myself spending whatever it takes to buy the complete run of Action Comics, Detective Comics, Marvel Comics...etc all in 9.6+ with white pages for whatever it takes $5,000,000,000.00? who knows, 'cause I can IMAGINE myself rich enough to afford this like so much left pocket change. lol

R.

This is actually on my mind these days as well.

I've been collecting for 25+ years and I think I'm ready to whittle down to about 20% of my current collection (8000 books approx.) to make "space" for a key book.

Esquire's AF 15 at $4000 REALLY interested me regarding the above project...

I've spent a grand on a book, and I have bid up to 4 Gs ... more than that I'd have to really have a tough time. I had the same feeling as davidpg about the AF15 a few days back...I also had an AF15 in my hands a few weeks back but just couldn't pull the trigger...I know I'll regret as some point.

Excellent post! :applause:

In my original post I said I was selling 90-95% plus. Alot of the stuff I have I just dont care about anymore. I read it, enjoyed it, and would like to get the chance to own a few comics I couldnt normally afford. For my collection, I would like to just collect keys, and specific storylines. I was making my statement more in line with the thread of how much I would spend, just happened to include my means to achievement.

And I have a rather large show stock which I sell, and will ultimately add my collection to. The books I keep will be favorite storylines, keys etc.. But the 2 books I mentioned would be highest amount paid for 1 book. I have no intention of collecting solely for monetary value, but more for the hunt. Not destroying my income is also part of that. I dont make $50k a year , so what money I have is reserved for my wedding, children, a house. So this is pretty much a second job (that I love !), as well as means to finally obtain books I have wanted (many for over 15 + years). When you look at statements for face value, it is misleading.

Also I have completed alot of my original goals and have moved on, but the long boxes are still there. And while AF 15 and Bats 1 were mentioned, there is a massive list of other books I want, that can be obtained for $100- $2k. Those examples were the most expensive. My personal Grail is also All-Star Comics #12 , V for Victory cover with the JSA. That book holds no REAL value, but is a piece of the comic culture and American Patriotism intertwined. And for that reason I hold that book EXTREMELY high in regards to a "classic" cover.

I will stop for now, as I could probably write a 3 page report on my reasons for comic collecting. Number 1 reason is still simple. I like to read them.

Thank you :grin:

Thank you :grin:

:golfclap: