• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Happening (Vague review)

54 posts in this topic

I wanted to like this movie, but it just wasn't happening. meh

The performances are stilted. Characters are underdeveloped. Several scenes are contrived. The plot seems a bit disjointed. The explanation for the "Happening" should probably have remained a mystery.

That said, the film does at times capture an eeriness, but that simply isn't enough.

After The Village and Lady in the Water, there is pretty much nothing that could make me go see one of this guys' movies again.

After The Village and Lady in the Water, there is pretty much nothing that could make me go see one of this guys' movies again.
The director did these movies too? Sounds like a couple of "scarefests" that I avoided accidentally but for apparent good reason.

BTW, I saw "The Strangers" and thought I would sleep through it. The contrived nature of the movie, the slow plodding, the bad acting, and "because you were home" is all that needs to be said about that POS. At least some folks in SC got jobs (that's where it was filmed).

No love for "The Village"? I really enjoyed that movie. I only saw the beginning of "Lady in the Water" so I can't comment on that.

I have some free movie passes and don't like anything better, so I will probably go see "The Happening" in the next few days.

I've liked most of M. Knight's stuff, but nothing is as good as the Sixth and nothings been as bad as Lady. But since Sixth was his first and Lady was his last, I can only hope this one's going in the opposite direction. Looks like it might not and he might hit a new low...

See....this is what happens when you try to make the same movie over and over again. The Director's caught in quicksand now, the more he struggles and tries to recapture the" Sixth Sense", the deeper he sinks. Still, I wouldn't mind having his carreer.

He sure knows how to make some inviting commercials, though.

Every commercial looks like it's going to rule... then

lady in the water

village

signs

Heard all I needed to know....

DVD here I come.

You guys had to have liked unbreakable at least.

He sure knows how to make some inviting commercials, though.

Every commercial looks like it's going to rule... then

lady in the water

village

signs

Heard all I needed to know....

DVD here I come.

You guys had to have liked unbreakable at least.

Unbreakable is a masterpiece. Willis was perfect. Watchmen can only hope to be as good.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080612/REVIEWS/545929629

I respect Ebert's opinion, so I still may see this film.

I know I have. For some time the thought has been gathering at the back of my mind that we are in the final act. We have finally insulted the planet so much that it can no longer sustain us. It is exhausted. It never occurred to me that vegetation might exterminate us. In fact, the form of the planet's revenge remains undefined in my thoughts, although I have read of rising sea levels and the ends of species.

:roflmao:

I will have to see this one for myself,because I had given up hope on Shamalayan(after Unbreakable of course!) until Lady in the Water.Turned out to be a well-made masterpiece with great characters and a perfect storyline.Everyone said it sucked.....oh well,each his own,I really enjoyed it. :headbang:

I'm going to catch "The Happening" on cable. The Village was boring and "Lady in the Water was ok, but not worth spending money at a movie theatre IMHYWO.

Plants unleashing a weird hormone to make people go crazy? meh. The trailer showed folks floating thru the air, so I expected something supernatural. Anything else is a cop-out (but what do you expect from MNS).