• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lone Star Comics (MyComicShop.com) is robbing me! Need advice!
2 2

223 posts in this topic

for all those saying $200 = not a lot ... holds out hands... please donate to my comic collection please :D

fact is its not a lot until its "YOU'RE" $200!

Edited by synch

for all those saying $200 = not a lot ... holds out hands... please donate to my comic collection please :D

I was busting shadrochs chops for forgetting to make the $, instead he just typed 4.

Believe me, I havent had $200.00 to spend on books for myself in about a year.

No one is saying its not a lot. I'll ask you the same question.

$100 cash to spend on any books you want or $200 but you have to buy from a list that you are complaining is overpriced? Is that question really that difficult?

No one is saying its not a lot. I'll ask you the same question.

$100 cash to spend on any books you want or $200 but you have to buy from a list that you are complaining is overpriced? Is that question really that difficult?

lots of people are saying its not a lot actually :D

Anyways I'm not the one complaining about it personally I Think he did the right thing going with the cgced books my self

I think another part of the problem is that Lone Star hired an Internet Sales Manager that can't grade comics!

With the previous manager, I could send a scan of the misgraded item, say, see the giant color breaking crease on this book that is supposed to be NM.

Then he would say, "well, that book was just $1.60, and with that crease it would just go in the quarter bin if it came back. Not worth the $2-$3 to send it back. I'll just credit your account for the purchase price, don't worry about sending that rag back, and you can order another copy on the next order. Sorry for the mix up."

Then he left and Buddy hired Beth to take over. She can't grade and requires that every return, even if the book was a $1, to be sent back so senior graders can examine it and determine if it was misgraded. So it ends up costing them $2.76 in return shipping to get back a $1 misgraded item worth $.25.

I can understand sending back a $50 NM book, that if it is really a fine, might still be worth $20. But when it is a $1.50 NM, that if it is really a fine is worth $.25, why bother?

Just speculation,but it wouldn't surprise me if a few people caught on to the fact that they were so liberal on accepting buyers complaints about overgraded books. Telling the buyer just keep the book and we'll credit you is a policy ripe for exploitation.I'm not surprised the guy is no longer in his job.While it might sound foolish to spend $2.76 for a 50 cent item,1) it doesn't really since they are crediting it towards overpriced books,and 2) it cuts down on fraud.

You never did answer my question,so I'll ask you again- Couldn't you have done much better with $100 cash to spend at any convention than with $200 in credit towards over-priced books?

I doubt I could have done better with $100. First, the nearest location to me that has conventions is $100 in gas away (rountrip), so that right there means I would have got nothing with the $100.

But if you overlook that aspect of it, I got a Brave and the Bold 57 (CGC 8.0) for $119, and the GPA average on that book is about $100. I also got a Justice League of America #37 (CGC 8.5) for $76, and I think the GPA on that is about $85-$90. I also got three modern CGC 9.8's, one a WWT variant, with the remaining credit plus $6-$8 more.

I don't think you will find a dealer at a convention willing to sell the two Silver Age CGC's for $100, at least I have never run into such a dealer. I think both those books would easily run you $165-$175 at any convention (which I did overpay a little, at $195). With $100, I could have purchased one book, but not both. Then I got the three 9.8's to boot. I doubt I could have found the two SIlver Age books raw for $100.

Now, I will say that some of their books are WAY overpriced, and you might do better at a convention. For example, they have an All-FLash #16 or 17 (I forget) in CGC 6.0 and they want like $289 for it. I have seen that same book about a year ago, in the same 6.0 CGC slab, with a $175 asking price at a con. Still if I had $300 in trade credit or $175 in cash, it would mean I get the same book either way around. Their Golden Age books are way overpriced, and I would say you could do the same at a con with cash, as you could at their store with credit. However, I did GPA this book, and it had recently (I think in March), sold for $265-$270, so maybe the market is catching up to the inflated price at LS. Moderns and Silver Age are a different story.

I also don't really agree with your point about people taking advantage of a liberal return policy. I don't think alot of people would go through the trouble of scanning books and pointing out the misgrades, just to get a misgraded $1.50 book for free. They weren't telling me to keep $25 misgraded items. It was for $1-$3 misgraded items, when I provided a scan showing the defects. And it wasn't like I did it every order. It was a couple times a year.

Edited by Broken Shakespear

Dude...stop your whining. Nowhere that I've ever shopped has trade-in value equaled monetary value. 50% cash of the trade value is about the standard rate.

Hell...with the way you're crying it's no wonder Lonestar wants you to go away...

Jim

I think it all has to do with the graders as well. I have gotten some less than par stuff from them but it was for customers and they were glad to have just found it.

I have sent them some trade and they have graded it pretty harshly I thought. Other times it has been pretty lenient so I am guessing its who you get to grade your sent in order and then luck of the draw if you get something less than you thought.

I have gotten stuff from them that was undergraded as well. About like buying from any online place where you can't see the books up front or have the satisfaction of knowing the grader beforehand.

Dude...stop your whining. Nowhere that I've ever shopped has trade-in value equaled monetary value. 50% cash of the trade value is about the standard rate.

Hell...with the way you're crying it's no wonder Lonestar wants you to go away...

Jim

That's not the point. I'm not saying 50% cash vs. trade is wrong. My problem is that I only sent them the books because they agreed to the trade credit. I would not have sent them at all at the cash price. Then after they received the books and even sold some of them, THEY decided to just pay me cash at 50% the value of trade, regardless of how I felt about it.

Again, do you think this scenario is fair. You send a dealer a ASM #1 and he is supposed to trade you $5000 worth of his books for it. But then once he receives it, he changes his mind and just mails you a check for $2500 and tells you to go away. Are you honestly sitting here arguing that is a fair business tactic?

Jim

That's not the point. I'm not saying 50% cash vs. trade is wrong. My problem is that I only sent them the books because they agreed to the trade credit. I would not have sent them at all at the cash price. Then after they received the books and even sold some of them, THEY decided to just pay me cash at 50% the value of trade, regardless of how I felt about it.

Again, do you think this scenario is fair. You send a dealer a ASM #1 and he is supposed to trade you $5000 worth of his books for it. But then once he receives it, he changes his mind and just mails you a check for $2500 and tells you to go away. Are you honestly sitting here arguing that is a fair business tactic?

You're the one you complained about their service despite repeated examples you weren't satisfied with their product...yet you continued doing business, and trading, with them...

No one forced that on you...

So yeah...it's fair once they decided you were too much of a pain in the azz..

Jim

But Jim, the point is that Lonestar was the one to halt any future business transactions, and essentially halve the amount of "comic money" he was owed. No matter how you feel about the OP, what happened is dead wrong and highly unethical.

I doubt you would side with Lonestar if you had traded in some CGC books worth $1K+ GPA, and then Buddy immediately booted you and offered a "my way or the highway" $500 cash offer for the books (which they'd already sold for $1500).

If not, then send all your HG CGC picture frames over here and I'll pay you half-price for them. :wishluck:

If it helps... I understand what you're saying. :hi:

But Jim, the point is that Lonestar was the one to halt any future business transactions, and essentially halve the amount of "comic money" he was owed.

I doubt you would feel the same way if you had traded in some CGC books worth $1K+ GPA, and then Lonestar immediately booted you and offered a "my way or the highway" $500 cash offer for the books (which they'd already sold for $1500).

If not, then send all your HG CGC picture frames over here and I'll pay you half-price for them. :wishluck:

I understand Vince...but according to this guy he has had to return comics multiple times...so he knew what he was getting into when he continued doing business with them...

And I've never heard trade credit translate 100% to cash...it's routine that it's 50%...

Jim

And I've never heard trade credit translate 100% to cash...it's routine that it's 50%...

If that's what you agree to, but if I traded $500 CGC books with you, then upon receipt of your book, told you I had already sold my book (and yours), and stated I would only pay $250 for yours, would that be fair?

If that's what you agree to, but if I traded $500 CGC books with you, then upon receipt of your book, told you I had already sold my book (and yours), and stated I would only pay $250 for yours, would that be fair?

Of course not...but this isn't an isolated incident. The guy has repeatedly sent comics back...and sent comics for trade credit AFTER that.

There a breaking point for any dealer and apparently Spear has broken that...and since they were trade items, it's 50%...

Of course, if Spear can prove he sent a high value key/collectible to LS, I might be more sympathtic...

Jim

But Jim, the point is that Lonestar was the one to halt any future business transactions, and essentially halve the amount of "comic money" he was owed.

I doubt you would feel the same way if you had traded in some CGC books worth $1K+ GPA, and then Lonestar immediately booted you and offered a "my way or the highway" $500 cash offer for the books (which they'd already sold for $1500).

I understand Vince...but according to this guy he has had to return comics multiple times...so he knew what he was getting into when he continued doing business with them...

Jim

And you aren't reading what I am writing. I averaged a return of a couple of comics, out of hundreds, per year. And never any hassle with returns.

The problems I am speaking of now, all happened with orders placed and received in the month of May. One month, not repeated problems like you are trying to make it sound. I had a problem with one order, returned the comic to have it resolved. While that book was in transit, I placed another order, which was then received with about 15% being misgraded.

Again, it was 4 years of minimal to no problems, and then one month of problems. I didn't continue to do business depite repeated problems, like you are making out. If you bothered to read the thread, you would see I made this clear twice before...