• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lone Star Comics (MyComicShop.com) is robbing me! Need advice!
2 2

223 posts in this topic

:applause:

I'm glad it worked out for you!

My only experience with thm was bad too.... (this is what I was thinking about while writing about Shocker.....go figure) they overgraded a FN book as NM. I didn't fuss because it was $7 plus shipping, so I just blew it off and remembered never to business with them again.

Still not a happy ending, but not an ending where I am totally shafted...

That's about the best you could hope for. (thumbs u

Agreed. Who are you going to buy all those books from now, though??? :baiting:

Hey gang!

I have run into a major problem with Lone Star Comics. Because of a dispute over a misgraded item I had returned (a book was supposed to be NM, but it had a 2" color-breaking crease, a 1-1.5" color scrape, and many other minor defects, and Lone Star insisted this was okay for a NM book), they told me they no longer wanted to do business with me because I was too critical in my grading.

I had been doing business with them for several years, and when this happened, had about $200 in trade credit with them. Well, Buddy Saunders, the owner who told me not to do business there anymore, said he was going to "convert" my trade credit to a cash payout by paying me $.50 on the $1 for the credit I had on my account. He said that he would not sell me anymore books, and that he would only pay me HALF of what I was owed and my account is closed.

I consider this to be theft and I want to pursue action against them, more out of principle that out of the $100 they plan to steal from me.

Are there any lawyers in the house who can advise me? Should I file a police report in their home town? I definately plan on contacting the Texas Attorney General? If Lone Star makes me go as far as to take this to small claims court, would I need to file in Texas, KY, or both?

And let this be a warning to anyone else here who trades with Lone Star. They think it is perfectly in their right to cash out your trade credit for $.50 on the $1, whenever they decide it benefits them. You can be the judge if you want to take that kind of risk. I had been doing business with them (hundreds, if not thousands, of $$'s in trades per year) for 4 years and then they just screwed me over out of the blue!

There's a lot going on here.

Two points:

It's lame they decided your $200 is worth $100.

Totally bogus.

On the other side:

I returned two books in 2007, out of hundreds (at least 400 I would say).

That's pretty good.

99.5% of the books you bought were OK?

Most people here would call that a dream dealer.

I trade books( :gossip: junk) to Lone Star frequently, and these are some facts:

You can select trade or cash and cash is usually 50% of the trade value.

The grading is usually pretty bad. If not really bad.

Buddy will ban you for returning books. I don't think this is always a problem. I get the feeling it is only if Buddy is involved, I don't think he likes being told that he can't grade.

I think it was SilverandBronze that posted a couple of years ago about some Archies he returned and was consequently banned. He would have to varify that though as I'm going by memory about who it was.

I wish people would quit saying "It's only $100 dollars" To some people that is a hell of a lot of money, and it is about the GD principle anyway. The buyer should be allowed to fullfill the trade value in trade since that is what the original agreement was. If Buddy wants out of the agreement, he should buy out at 100% cash.

Yep, it was me.

If I remember correctly, it was my first or second order with them, and I returned probably about 15% of the books I ordered. I don't think I was being too strict--I ordred NM's, and was content with anything VF, since the price was right. I returned stained and torn books. They agreed with some of my returns, didn't with others, and politely invited me to not be a customer anymore.

It's really too bad. In the following 3 years, I probably would have bought 100's of books from them (there are probably 100 on the site right now I'd like a shot at), and even if I returned a similar percentage, I'd say everyone would have come out ahead--I'd have some nice books, and they'd have a few thousand of my dollars. Oh well.

Edited by silverandbronze

I know I have traded several thousand dollars worth of books to them. I have purchased one $800 book, two $350 books, at least a half dozen $250 books and a couple dozen $50-$150 books, all using trade credit.

I was supplying them with a minimum of 100 books a month from their want list. Why they would shaft me like that over less than $25 in returned books, and about $7.50 in total return shipping credits is beyond me! They aren't out the $25. Basically, the decided to terminate business with me over the $7.50 in return shipping credit, when I have made them thousands of dollars over the years.

I'm totally baffled and never saw it coming. But my final order is placed for 5 CGC books. Two from my want list and the other three to finish off about $50 in credit I didn't know how to use.

That's about the best you could hope for. (thumbs u

Agreed. Who are you going to buy all those books from now, though??? :baiting:

I mainly used them to unload books. Basically, I buy collections. Is sell off the keys and other high demand issues. Usually that puts me close to even quickly, and then I slowly peddle the rest. Once I hit about 20% profit, I'm willing to unload the rest for just about anything.

So I unloaded them to Lone Star, would build up a $1000 in credit or so over 5-6 months, and then would purchase a couple of expensive books to fill holes in my personal collection. Or buy entire runs of cheaper books to fill holes.

Now it will just take me longer to unload them, or I will sell the complete series runs and bulk lots of bronze and silver on E-Bay. I'll take that money and buy my books off Comic Link, where they typically sell for 30% less than Lone Star anyway.

The only real benefit to Lone Star is that it was easy to get rid of a small box or two worth of books each month, so my storage didn't back up. i'll just have to manage it a little better and do more bulk sales on E-Bay.

Sorry to hear about your problems with Lonestar Comics. I had the same kind of problem with them a while back (although a much lesser amount of money was involved) -- link.

I was also told that I could no longer order from them when I wanted to get a refund. They really know how to run a business (i.e., "The customer is always wrong.")

Edited by Engr62

Hey gang!

I have run into a major problem with Lone Star Comics. Because of a dispute over a misgraded item I had returned (a book was supposed to be NM, but it had a 2" color-breaking crease, a 1-1.5" color scrape, and many other minor defects, and Lone Star insisted this was okay for a NM book), they told me they no longer wanted to do business with me because I was too critical in my grading.

I had been doing business with them for several years, and when this happened, had about $200 in trade credit with them. Well, Buddy Saunders, the owner who told me not to do business there anymore, said he was going to "convert" my trade credit to a cash payout by paying me $.50 on the $1 for the credit I had on my account. He said that he would not sell me anymore books, and that he would only pay me HALF of what I was owed and my account is closed.

I consider this to be theft and I want to pursue action against them, more out of principle that out of the $100 they plan to steal from me.

Are there any lawyers in the house who can advise me? Should I file a police report in their home town? I definately plan on contacting the Texas Attorney General? If Lone Star makes me go as far as to take this to small claims court, would I need to file in Texas, KY, or both?

And let this be a warning to anyone else here who trades with Lone Star. They think it is perfectly in their right to cash out your trade credit for $.50 on the $1, whenever they decide it benefits them. You can be the judge if you want to take that kind of risk. I had been doing business with them (hundreds, if not thousands, of $$'s in trades per year) for 4 years and then they just screwed me over out of the blue!

These "blown-out-of-proportion-I'm-going-to-sue" diatribes make me ill.

It's only $200 in credit and you're getting a hundred bucks. Suck it up and move on.

Hey gang!

It's only $200 in credit and you're getting a hundred bucks. Suck it up and move on.

Hi there can I sell you $100 worth of books & then not send them to you? lol

Hey gang!

:eek:

Usually a credit is not valued at that $$ cash . It should be in their contract . If it is written in their contract , it will be favorable to them . If it is not , it doesnt matter .

Sour grapes !! ...too bad , and I'm sorry , but move on . It's not worth letting revenge occupy your thoughts and attorney fees for several years , and you'll still get nothing .....

I'm totally baffled and never saw it coming. But my final order is placed for 5 CGC books. Two from my want list and the other three to finish off about $50 in credit I didn't know how to use.

You have a right to return books in line with their policy and if you get banned for it, then it is no loss to you as there are other dealers out there with better customer service. I have virtually given up on buying raw books and my list of dealers that I would recommend have diminished greatly over the last several years.

As far as the "its only $100" I'm not saying he can't be pissed and air his grievence, but to take the time from his job and go to court over it or hire a lawyer is a bit much over $100 in the end. Its also a bit much that LS comics would do this over $100.

It goes both ways.

If you look at the bigger picture that was his business relationship with this company that turned on him it was thousands of dollars.

Even as a business you have to look at the whole monetary relationship every now and then and make a reassessment. In this case mycomicshop.com made a one and we need to make it known to them , by email, if they are too stupid to come to this forum.

Hey gang!

You’re missing the bigger picture. How many will read this and avoid doing business with Lone Star???

Me for one. :eek:

As far as the "its only $100" I'm not saying he can't be pissed and air his grievence, but to take the time from his job and go to court over it or hire a lawyer is a bit much over $100 in the end. Its also a bit much that LS comics would do this over $100.

It goes both ways.

If you look at the bigger picture that was his business relationship with this company that turned on him it was thousands of dollars.

Even as a business you have to look at the whole monetary relationship every now and then and make a reassessment. In this case mycomicshop.com made a one and we need to make it known to them , by email, if they are too stupid to come to this forum.

Yeah, I can't begin to fathom how he built a business as big as Lone Star, with this kind of business sense.

I know that if I had someone who was selling me $1200 of books a year for credit (no money out of my pocket). And then I was selling those books for a 30% profit (and covering the 10-20% overhead) ($360 profit), and then he in turn, was buying another $1200 in product from me with the credit. Thus yielding me another $360 in profit on those sales.

So I have now made $720 because of this customer. Even if they return a batch of books every month for misgrade, and I have to eat $5 a month in return shipping, I would gladly still have them as a customer because I would still be making $660 in profit from them, ALL WITH NO MONEY OUT OF MY POCKET!

I was a cash cow for them. I didn't really t rack how much I traded very well, but I think it would be safe to say it was $1200-$2000 per year in trade credit.

Again, it just blows my mind that he can have a succesful business with this approach. Maybe if you were a customer who placed one order a year for $3, and every time returned your item and wanted a $3 shipping credit. Maybe if a customer is doing this chronically and you are losing money. Maybe then you ask them to go elsewhere. But not when they are a cash cow...

Update:

I just got an e-mail from Buddy. He has agreed to allow me a one time purchase for the remaining amount of credit, on CGC books only, and to issue credit to cover the outstanding books they have not credited me for, for the return shipping credits owed me, and for the books I have not mailed them back yet, with the understanding I do return them.

He agreed to this because I would not be able to question grading any further, as they are CGC graded. I'm supposed to thank whoever proposed the idea.

:applause: Congrats on the successful resolution. May not be exactly want you wanted, however a resolution none the less. (thumbs u I really wish that LSC would have responded through one of the board members, my experiences with them a few years back ordering trades, supplies, and comics were flawless experiences. There are so few in our community that we do not help the industry flaming each other on boards, when we may be able to work out our issues by understanding that we do not know what is happening in the "offender's" day to day to affect their attitude. A little understanding will go a long way. Of course this is the perfect forum to air grievances after all lesser means for amicable resolution have failed or cannot be reasonably employed.

My take aways from this thread are:

1. Take a deep breath

2. Never buy anything from Shocker Toys

drama.gif:foryou: Chris

Like I said, I ordered probably 400 books in 2007 and sent back 2 for misgrades. I wouldn't say that means I dislike their grading.

Even the recent return of 13 books was out of an order of 70-80 books, and that was the last order I had placed with them, since I was banned.

I also want to add that I have bought (via trade) about 1000-2000 books from Lonestar in my life. I have returned roughly 10-20 in a 5 year period and they threatened to ban me. I know that Lonestar has awful grading standards and I usually just accept them. These returns were usually for other reasons (wrong book, 2nd printing instead of a 1st, etc.) and they still told me we couldn't do business anymore. I called Buddy directly and told him how awful that policy was and he didn't end up banning me. I just want to add that I only take the books because of the good deals I get trading with them. You have to take the good with the bad and just roll with the punches.