• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Could this be a CGC 8.0?

95 posts in this topic

I'm pretty secure in the belief that the image isn't doctored, but rather, the label is. Perhaps a high-quality colour copy of an altered original? The cracking and tearing at the top of the label makes me think it wasn't just stuck in there once by CGC

Another possibility?

Book was removed from holder, sub par copy slipped into CGC case, thus no inner well. Seller then subs the original copy where he/she gets a VF copy back?

Dude just ended the auction. hm

Response from seller;

Thank you, we had no idea. We will pursue this further. Until we figure out what's going on we will pull this auction. Again thank you very much for bringing this to our attention.

I don't doubt for a minute this seller got rooked by whomever they bought the book from.

At any rate, kudos to J_C for bringing it to light

I just went through his other books and I can't make out inner wells on any of those either.

Maybe it's a problem at CGC's QC department. :jokealert:

Yup, he sure did...Good catch, JC... (thumbs u

and is there really anyone else to suspect here except the seller who has perfect feedback and has lots of comics up for sale?? i could maybe understand getting duped yourself, except the absence of an inner well should stand out to even a small dealer/seller.......and it appears as though he acted immediately upon being contacted regarding our suspicions... hm

I don't doubt for a minute this seller got rooked by whomever they bought the book from.

Very possible. (thumbs u

Book was removed from holder, sub par copy slipped into CGC case, thus no inner well. Seller then subs the original copy where he/she gets a VF copy back?

But with a well-known scam like that you don't need to screw around with the label - you just use the same one CGC sent you.

Hi everyone,

My name is Dan and I am the owner of the ebay store and comic this thread is about. I want to personaly thank you all for bringing this to our attention. We will investigate further and take any and all action possible against the previous owner from which we acquired this book. Unfortunately it was quite a while ago so we have no idea what we can do. (any help from you guys would greatly be appreciated). We are new to ebay and care EXTREMELY for our customers. Therefore once one of the posters brought this to our attention we immediately took action. We are very happy that we took the hit and did not sell it to a customer who later could have found this error and feel ill will towards us. Again thank you all very much, and please give us a clue as to any information you can pass on to us about action we can take.

Yup, he sure did...Good catch, JC... (thumbs u

and is there really anyone else to suspect here except the seller who has perfect feedback and has lots of comics up for sale?? i could maybe understand getting duped yourself, except the absence of an inner well should stand out to even a small dealer/seller.......and it appears as though he acted immediately upon being contacted regarding our suspicions... hm

Well, we do know of several other high feedback eSellers who continue to perpetrate scans, so the feedback in itself is not necessarily and indicator :think:

Hi everyone,

My name is Dan and I am the owner of the ebay store and comic this thread is about. I want to personaly thank you all for bringing this to our attention. We will investigate further and take any and all action possible against the previous owner from which we acquired this book. Unfortunately it was quite a while ago so we have no idea what we can do. (any help from you guys would greatly be appreciated). We are new to ebay and care EXTREMELY for our customers. Therefore once one of the posters brought this to our attention we immediately took action. We are very happy that we took the hit and did not sell it to a customer who later could have found this error and feel ill will towards us. Again thank you all very much, and please give us a clue as to any information you can pass on to us about action we can take.

Apparently NOT a shill for lonestar :roflmao:

Good thinking though. Presenting yourself here is a good idea. Also trial by fire.

Glad to see you removed the book.

Hi everyone,

Hope you don't take too big a hit here Dan.

Also, if you can determine from whom you bought these slabs, please let us know.