• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Phantom Lady What's Your Take?

24 posts in this topic

I've been thinking about purchasing a Phantom Lady. Can anyone tell me what they think is the most collectable in the Fox series? I'm thinking about 16? Any input appreciated.

Depends what you mean by "collectable." (shrug) PL 17 is widely acknowledged as the greatest GGA cover of all time, so I would pick that one. But, they're all pretty cool books (thumbs u

Depends what you mean by "collectable." (shrug) PL 17 is widely acknowledged as the greatest GGA cover of all time, so I would pick that one. But, they're all pretty cool books (thumbs u

I think I'd like one with the most "Baker" art. Were all the interiors penciled by Baker?

And a lot of early Police Comics.

For a character with such incredible covers, it surprises me how seldom she was utilized on the covers of the books where she was not the primary hero.

For a character with such incredible covers, it surprises me how seldom she was utilized on the covers of the books where she was not the primary hero.

Is the Quality Police version the same character? I always thought just the name was the same - but I've never seen any of the Quality stories. (shrug)

Is the Quality Police version the same character? I always thought just the name was the same - but I've never seen any of the Quality stories. (shrug)

Yep, same character - she kind of got around. She came out of the Eisner-Iger Studio that created Blackhawk and Doll Man for Quality as well. She started off a lot more tame, but Police Comics #1 is her first appearance. Her early look is below.

phantomlady2.jpg

Thanks for the info - Is that her blackout camera getting shot out of her hand?

Does anyone know how Quality lost control of the character? It would have been nice to see Bill Ward's inerpretation of the skimpy outfit version :cloud9:

2606634757_2c76054126.jpg

Police 21 had a crossover story between characters in Feature and Police. Phantom Lady was a little too athletic in those days. Baker softened her up a little and rounded out the character. I liked the covers for 17, 18 and 23. I think PL 16 would be less desirable since PL was not featured on the cover. The inside front cover of issue 16 would have made a great cover. And would have looked better in color.

bb

2348200707_0ffd0ccd79_b.jpg