• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

No respect for CGC! What's up with that?

168 posts in this topic

I respect the comic, not the slab. I would say that modern age don't count, but since there are people who enjoy them, I won't disrespect them.

What's all this about "respecting" comics? One can respect the art form while completely disrespecting certain examples. Or are we supposed to believe that all comic books are sacrosanct and to be shown some sort of reverance?

While I respect certain books because of their artistic and/or entertainment merit, there are some not worthy of wiping my butt.

What's so complicated about this?

I can certainly understand that some people are just ticked because the video shows disrepect to CGC -- which is the work product of people they like and respect.

But getting your panties in an uproar over "disrespecting the book" seems a bit overboard.

Agreed. I didn't once hear "your momma" or other phrases that would incur wrath from the crowd.

It was a silly video. Nothing more.

It's not like someone was handed the Koran using the left hand.

I respect the comic, not the slab. I would say that modern age don't count, but since there are people who enjoy them, I won't disrespect them.

What's all this about "respecting" comics? One can respect the art form while completely disrespecting certain examples. Or are we supposed to believe that all comic books are sacrosanct and to be shown some sort of reverance?

While I respect certain books because of their artistic and/or entertainment merit, there are some not worthy of wiping my butt.

What's so complicated about this?

I can certainly understand that some people are just ticked because the video shows disrepect to CGC -- which is the work product of people they like and respect.

But getting your panties in an uproar over "disrespecting the book" seems a bit overboard.

There's a lot of panties that get in an uproar in comics general on a daily basis.

It's like the brown nosers, apologists, and sycophants are coming out of the woodwork.

Or maybe it's just Tuesday. hm

the thing is i can see how a collector of raw comics can hate cgc, but i could never see why a collector of cgc'd books would ever hate collecting raw comics........

this of course is why you only hear this stuff from raw collectors

the thing is i can see how a collector of raw comics can hate cgc, but i could never see why a collector of cgc'd books would ever hate collecting raw comics........

That is what I don't get. Why would a raw collector harbor such resentment against a CGC collector? I don't get it. (shrug)

It's like the brown nosers, apologists, and sycophants are coming out of the woodwork.

The message board trifecta. :cloud9:

What about the naysayers, conspiracy theorists and agenda pushers?

And the gypsies, tramps, and thieves.

That would make quite a cage match if you set up those two groups. :applause:

You want another pressing thread already?

You want another pressing thread already?

No, I'd like to see some MMA ground and pound action. :D

And the gypsies, tramps, and thieves.

Nothing wrong with a gypsy. :sumo:

Andy

That is what I don't get. Why would a raw collector harbor such resentment against a CGC collector? I don't get it. (shrug)

i don't think it's the collector so much as cgc.

but in no way does a collector of raw comics affect the hobby for cgc collectors. right?

but cgc collecting has definitely affected the raw comic collector. no?

i don't think it's the collector so much as cgc.

but in no way does a collector of raw comics affect the hobby for cgc collectors. right?

but cgc collecting has definitely affected the raw comic collector. no?

How so? I only ask because I don't collect raw.

Any number of reasons. Chip on their shoulder ("Waah, none of my raw books are good enough to be graded!" or "They never grade my book as highly as *I* think it is..."), pure envy, close mindedness, a colossal failure to understand the benefits of professional grading and thinking it is "cool to hate" on anything they don't do.

Any number of reasons. Chip on their shoulder ("Waah, none of my raw books are good enough to be graded!" or "They never grade my book as highly as *I* think it is..."), pure envy, close mindedness, a colossal failure to understand the benefits of professional grading and thinking it is "cool to hate" on anything they don't do.

I think there is a little more to it than that. There might be a belief that the advent of CGC (for a number of reasons) has driven prices way up, therefore, making it more difficult for someone who actually reads the things to acquire a collection...., to, uh....., you know...., read.

:o And yes, there are HG collectors out there who actually read their HG comics. :acclaim:

I think there is a little more to it than that. There might be a belief that the advent of CGC (for a number of reasons) has driven prices way up, therefore, making it more difficult for someone who actually reads the things to acquire a collection...., to, uh....., you know...., read.

:o And yes, there are HG collectors out there who actually read their HG comics. :acclaim:

You can *read* the damn books any time you want to, from a variety of different formats for most DC, and Marvel books, whether it's a reprint, or a beater.

99.9% of the books out there can beobtained very easily.

CGC'ing a book has nothing to with reading a particular book, it's about preserving a book, and establishing a benchmarked grade to that book.

Reading is not part of the equation of whether to CGC.

People need to stop dragging that one out like it's their lucky catch against CGC'ing. doh! doh!

why would you want to read or collect reprints when you can collect and read the real thing? :doh: :doh:

why would you want to read or collect reprints when you can collect and read the real thing? :doh: :doh:

It's not a lucite brick. You realize you CAN open the slab, right?

:eek: