• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My comics

474 posts in this topic

its funny. me too on the ducks! I try to ignore them, but i can't seem to. I really enjoy them. I guess my collection will consist of horrific pre code horor comcis side by side with innocent ducks! Sort of like bonds' last post thumbsup2.gif

I think you can make an argument for Carl Barks as one of the top 3 or 4 storytellers in the history of comic books. He invented a wide range of characters, he infused them with more personality than probably any other 'funny animals' (with the possible exception of Pogo and some of his pals), and he cooked up hundreds of very clever yarns in which those characters could shine.

When it comes to pure collecting, Barks' duck books are very high on my list. Unlike other parts of my collection, I truly don't care if the duck books provide a return on my "investment" - they bring back memories, and have created new memories that I can share with my daughter. I wish I'd had a chance to thank Carl Barks personally before he passed away - he was undoubtedly one of the greats of the comic book medium.

I'd not seen the 217 cover either...although DD is one of my top 3 favorites in the SA category, my cut-off point is issue 200. That doesn't look much like B.W. Smith art... who did the inking, Klaus Jansson?

It's definitely Smith art - very distinctive. Here's a copy that was on Ebay (they have another copy up now too):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2204206165&category=32753

Ya BWS stuff especially in the 80s and early 90s had a very distinctive stype lots of detail that when classically inked and I think at 217 it would be Janson no? I mean you can just pick them out in this period he and Sienkiewicz (can never spell it right) are two of my favs. They would come in every once in a while on a run and do a few issues (I immediately think of the Sienk New Mutants Issues) and then poof they were gone confused.gif

Someone 893censored-thumb.gif lighthouse, er I think he hate Bernie 893whatthe.gif But ya man #7 awesome there are alot in that run that are just cool stuff cloud9.gif

Thanks again Bonds smile.gif

This raises an interesting question...

Whatever happened to "He Hate Me?"