• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

I think the avg collector realizes that cr/ow is a great pq on a book... and, I sold a 5.0 for 12K not too long ago, that looked only marginally better than that copy (of course, also sold a nice 5.0 for 10k, that probably looked better too, so who is to say!)

Somebody goat-rope this alligator and put 'em back in the swamp! :slapfight:

the tide is turning...more and more folks are realizing that pq designation is somewhat overated... but, to each his own :baiting:

I think the avg collector realizes that cr/ow is a great pq on a book... and, I sold a 5.0 for 12K not too long ago, that looked only marginally better than that copy (of course, also sold a nice 5.0 for 10k, that probably looked better too, so who is to say!)

the tide is turning...more and more folks are realizing that pq designation is somewhat overated... but, to each his own :baiting:

Yeah, but more C-OW for them = more WPers for me !! :golfclap:

(worship) So long as the words "tan," "brown," or "brittle" aren't involved, who cares? (And depending on the book.... eh. ;) )

In the summer of 2009; I bought a nice looking 5.0 OW From GAtor, that some would consider to look better than the above 5.0 (thumbs u

Super seller (thumbs u

For AF15 OW or better would be great, but i can live with Cream-OW if the book presents well

Definitely any copies that present well and no chips at the right price with crm/ow will be a good buy for collection or flip. For me, if I bought one to stay in my collection for years...I will be very picky, and Brannon former copy was it.

For AF15 OW or better would be great, but i can live with Cream-OW if the book presents well

But for the same money, why would you NOT want a higher PQ ?? (shrug)

My avatar to the left shows an AF15 with WPs. See how white and crisp the insides are?

That has to make any AF15 nut's liver quivver... :banana:

My avatar to the left shows an AF15 with WPs. See how white and crisp the insides are?

depends on eye appeal...I would take an af15 cgc 5.0 with NO marvel chipping and cr/ow pages at 20% MORE than I would take a cgc 5.0 with white pages and chipping on the edge... everyone has their own personal preferences :baiting:

and I have seen many many examples of cr/ow PQ that looks every bit as visually appealing and is every bit as supple and crisp, as a white pager PQ designation...so, that is a minimal consideration for me

the visual diff between cr/ow and ow/w is so minimal to the majority of comic collectors that I don't understand why it matters (though I respect those that do), but the visual diff between a chipped up copy and a non chipped copy is huge to anyone with 20/40 vision or better, imo

No arguments there. But per one of Gator's previous posts...

Everyone has their preference and some of us are just PQ geeks. :grin:

The issue at hand here is that most collectors I've met or heard from that are focused on Page Quality are collecting at an entirely different price-point than the average collector (generally speaking here). So, I think the notion of PQ really is just one of those defining factors of a competitive / high end collector in the same vein as modern 9.8 collectors as opposed to the mass of people who are fine with most anything better than Tan.

I'm a low grade collector (when it comes to pricey keys) so I fully appreciate having a *unique* collecting approach. (thumbs u

For the same money I'll take the higher page quality all day long

No arguments there. But per one of Gator's previous posts...

Everyone has their preference and some of us are just PQ geeks. :grin:

The issue at hand here is that most collectors I've met or heard from that are focused on Page Quality are collecting at an entirely different price-point than the average collector (generally speaking here). So, I think the notion of PQ really is just one of those defining factors of a competitive / high end collector in the same vein as modern 9.8 collectors as opposed to the mass of people who are fine with most anything better than Tan.

I'm a low grade collector (when it comes to pricey keys) so I fully appreciate having a *unique* collecting approach. (thumbs u

I can tell you have a eye for low grade. I have to say your AF15 is probably one of the best 1.0 out there. I do notice SA low grades keys in 1.0-2.5 with great eye appeal and structure has the greatest liquidity.

+1 :banana:

so, you would take a marvel chipped white page af 15 over the same grade of a non chipped cr/ow pager (just trying to clarify)..

obviously, "all" other things being the same (with "all" the pertinent word) then I agree, an identically visual book with high PQ would be preferable at same price...

but what about my scenario of an ugly looking chipped up white pager vs a beautiful (by comparision) non chipped up cw/ow (where the pq is probably 99% the same, that is how close cr/ow can be to straight white, given the right book),...that is the defining question (thumbs u

so, you would take a marvel chipped white page af 15 over the same grade of a non chipped cr/ow pager (just trying to clarify)..

obviously, "all" other things being the same (with "all" the pertinent word) then I agree, an identically visual book with high PQ would be preferable at same price...

but what about my scenario of an ugly looking chipped up white pager vs a beautiful (by comparision) non chipped up cw/ow (where the pq is probably 99% the same, that is how close cr/ow can be to straight white, given the right book),...that is the defining question (thumbs u

To expand on GAtor's comments, a chipped book is not even on my radar screen. There's a gorgeous S1 on ebay (6.0, WP, w MC). I'll pass on it 6 days a week and twice on Sunday. NEVER buy a chipped book IMO. Not eye appealing and a terrible investment. I've always said MC is "PART" of the book missing (and in the worst place...the front cover!). Doesn't matter if a dull blade did it or someone hacked it with the 'ole Uncle Henry. And it will still be missing when you wake up in the morn. I purchased one in 1986 it still haunts me today. Learn from my mistake.

And PQ is a preference. Some care some don't. That's what makes the hobby so fascinating. (thumbs u