• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Looking for employment advice

46 posts in this topic

Hey James! :hi:

You have a couple options to consider, and only you can decide which is the right road to take:

1. Stay in the job that you are doing well and is making you decent money. Think of it as just a job, a way to make money that allows you do do things you enjoy doing when you're NOT at work. Consider it the means to an end. Find fulfillment outside your job, and put your energy into that.

2. Do the soul-searching to find a job you love doing, regardless of the money. If you are fortunate, you will find both fulfillment and financial security, but these things do not always come hand-in-hand. At least you will enjoy going to work every day.

That said, if your discontent with the current job is because it's no longer challenging or it's a drag, then consider finding a way to move into a different position that will challenge you or provide you with new opprotunities. Are there sales management positions that could open up soon, and would you be considered for them if they do? Would that be of interest? I say this because it sounds like you have a stable job and given the current economy, bailing out on a job where you're secure and making decent money might not be the best thing to do.

On the other hand, if you wake up every morning and dread going to work, if you are miserable doing what you do every day, if you just can't stand the thought of going in to work and it's affecting your outlook, then get out. Life is too short to be miserable.

Me? I'd go with the option that would allow me to buy the most funny books. :grin:

I actually found something I am passionate about and start fight training in August at an MMA club/gym. Now don't misunderstand me, I am not going to do this professionally. :insane: But I have been thinking about getting into the health field, such as going to night school to become a nutritionist, and then possibly branching out to be a dietician for fighters. Just a thought.

I hope this doesn't turn out like a co-worker of mine who tried his hand at professional poker.

No pun intended.

Sometimes it's not the job but the activities you do on the job that create the dissatisfaction. Figure out what you enjoy doing.

Go Here

Sign up with an email and get a link to watch the five videos it's like a mini career seminar

It's the concept of strength based careers. If most of the day is spent doing activities that you enjoy and are good at you will feel more rewarded.

I love what I do and jump out of bed to do it.

As most of you know I work as a salesman for an office supply company. Currently things are going well with my job, careerwise and monetarily, but I feel unfullfilled with what I do. Have any of you ever been in this position?

What can those of you who have been in my situation recommend that I do? This is just a starting point for me and I haven't had much time to think things through, but there has to be more than just this.

Any suggestions would be helpful. :)

Whoa sweet you work for Dunder Mifflin?

How many people can really say they are happy with what they're doing? Seriously? Not many... What does it come down to? The money. As long as the money is fine then you should be okay as long as you arent being treated unfairly or are in a uncomfortable working environment. I'm not super thrilled with what I do, but I make decent money so I'm not going anywhere unless I find a job willing to pay me more. If money was out of the question I would be working in comics or I would have a baseball related job. That's not the case though...

2c

I am impressed with that post.

He is right. Every job has problem and the grass is always greener somewhere else. Then you get to that greener grass and then you realize that it's the same old sh*t that's making that grass green in the first place. :P

How many people can really say they are happy with what they're doing? Seriously? Not many... What does it come down to? The money. As long as the money is fine then you should be okay as long as you arent being treated unfairly or are in a uncomfortable working environment. I'm not super thrilled with what I do, but I make decent money so I'm not going anywhere unless I find a job willing to pay me more. If money was out of the question I would be working in comics or I would have a baseball related job. That's not the case though...

2c

Dagnabit, what happened to you? Smarty pants!

Danny is right. I went through a tough period in the 90's when I changed jobs MANY times in a few short years and I learned a valueable lesson that I live by today...the best job is not necessarily the one with the most money or the one you enjoy the most...it's the one you are at peace at. I have a job that I drive 60 miles to get to but I do it because the people are amazing and after working in a cut throat business for almost 20 years I now have a handful of co-workers who are friends 1st and will always have my back. There is nothing better than a peaceful work place if you are looking to settle somewhere...

...then again I'm getting old and maybe the mess I would put up with is no longer tolerable.

:eek:

I can't pass for 26 any more with my greys, can I Doc?

R.

2c

amen, baseball front office position.

R.

Sure, why not? I'm only 25. :whistle:

:roflmao: to both of your posts

And you couldn't pass for sober if you spent the nite in Jail. Fekker.

As most of you know I work as a salesman for an office supply company. Currently things are going well with my job, careerwise and monetarily, but I feel unfullfilled with what I do. Have any of you ever been in this position?

What can those of you who have been in my situation recommend that I do? This is just a starting point for me and I haven't had much time to think things through, but there has to be more than just this.

Any suggestions would be helpful. :)

My guess is that this job doesn't stretch you or push you to your limit - mentally or physically. Which is not totally a bad thing as it shows thay you have excess ability and leaves you with "margin" to accomplish other things in life which can be even more fulfilling. Toss the job? No way! Especially if you semi enjoy the work, the company treats you decently and you like the people that you work with and for, while making a decent wage.

Solution? You need to be stretched to the limits of your abilities. Either do this within your job by moving into a role with more responsibility, which is much easier said than done, or find something that stretches you outside of work. Pursue your interest that you mentioned earlier. Whatever it takes - push yourself into some endeavor that will stretch you. I believe once you do that, the job will magically become a lot more fulfilling as it will assume its real role as provider of the needs and luxuries of life.

I hope that helps - it did for me.

2c

Very interesting 2chm

I'm happy to say I'm really with what I'm doing and I'm not making a lot of money. Sure more money would be fine, but not if I would have to change jobs. I've been doing my job (first part-time, not full time) for 15 years and I don't think I've had more than 10 bad days in all. But I do realize not everyone is in the same boat and money can really help you tolerate a sucky job (thumbs u

2c

Dagnabit, what happened to you? Smarty pants!

Danny is right. I went through a tough period in the 90's when I changed jobs MANY times in a few short years and I learned a valueable lesson that I live by today...the best job is not necessarily the one with the most money or the one you enjoy the most...it's the one you are at peace at. I have a job that I drive 60 miles to get to but I do it because the people are amazing and after working in a cut throat business for almost 20 years I now have a handful of co-workers who are friends 1st and will always have my back. There is nothing better than a peaceful work place if you are looking to settle somewhere...

...then again I'm getting old and maybe the mess I would put up with is no longer tolerable.

:eek:

R.

The other thing I could add is get out of the big city if you can. People are miserable there, and full of stress. I see it whenever we travel. It is easier to find "community" in a smaller place.