• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does Anyone Here NOT Own A CGC Graded Book?

36 posts in this topic

Besides me, of course! hi.gif

Ive been collecting for 20 years, and have almost 15000 books, and not one of them is CGC graded. Actually, I have never even touched a CGC holder and have only seen 2 graded books with my own two eyes.

Now, keep in mind that I live in a really big city.

Can anyone else match my "virginity"? grin.gif

Re: Does Anyone Here NOT Own A CGC Graded Book?

Not anymore. insane.gif

Cracked the slabs of the 3 or 4 Golden Age books I bought CGC-graded. All lower-grade, and none were purchased with what I'd consider a premium for being CGC graded. But I did appreciate knowing I'd not have to send the book back to the seller due to hidden defects.

I own one. It was an impulse buy. Batman 427 in 9.4. I may buy a few more in different grades just to see what the different standards are. Overall, I prefer my books raw.

I just received my first ever CGC slabbed book from the last

Heritage Auction(please see attachment if you dare). It is

the LOWEST grade in the census for a FF #27 "universal

grade". My winning bid to get it was only 2 bucks but with

postage and buyer's premium it totaled 14 bucks but I bid on

it anyway to get the free Overstreet download.

I was suprised how nice and heavy the slab feels. The book seems

very stable in the holder- I always wondered how much a book might move

around in the holder. The copyright notice by CGC on the back

label says 1999 so maybe this is one of the earliest graded slabs?

I don't know why someone would pay to have this low grade baby

slabbed in the first place? But then, it is a FANTASTIC FOUR!

307835-FF27.jpg.be480dc907a7cd18e3222840af88a635.jpg

Copyright notices offer list the date of original copyright, so the 1999 may not indicate its exact provenance.

Technically, I own 0 CGCed comics. I have 'part interest' in a few slabbed books for flipping purposes, but they'll never officially enter my collection...and if one did happen to make its way into my personal collection (qty. ~5000), I'd crack that slab like a cherrystone clam the minute I gots me hands on it... thumbsup2.gif

Besides me, of course! hi.gif

Ive been collecting for 20 years, and have almost 15000 books, and not one of them is CGC graded. Actually, I have never even touched a CGC holder and have only seen 2 graded books with my own two eyes.

Now, keep in mind that I live in a really big city.

Can anyone else match my "virginity"? grin.gif

Well I don't have any CGC graded books. And I haven't even seen them in my own eyes ooo.gif

(I have about 80 GA/Silver age US comics + 500 moderns +5 bronze age books tongue.gif)

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Hmm... I wonder is there any CGC graded books in Finland? There definitely are some in Sweden, but they are a few hundred miles away from me shocked.gif

don't have any CGC books right now since I don't currently have any high grade keys for sale. I might try to get a few slabbed if I thought my HG bronze issues could bring a nice profit, none of my silver are better than vf/nm. I am thinking of sending in a Brave & Bold #99 with a double cover. I figure the double cover is my best chance of getting something better than 9.4.

however, I have seen a small number of slabbed books at a local comic store for sale at 5-10X guide. Of course it's funny because their raw books are for sell at nm prices even though the conditions ranges from nm to f-.

Two other local shops refuse to carry slabbed books. They claim that it is too hard to gamble on which books submitted for slabbing would return a profit(I guess their cash flow is too tight). And they sell raw vf & vf/nm as nm.

Hello all-

Just joined the boards today, after reading some great discussions on various threads here. I don't have any CGC books myself, either. I just got back into the hobby recently, and have actually just learned in the last couple of months that CGC even existed. I haven't really been tempted to slab any of my books yet, but I guess if I had some major high-grade keys, it would help to sell them. I guess I still like having the freedom of being able to take my books out if I want to carefully, of course!), smelling the paper, and remembering where I was when I first held the book in my hands.

BTW, my two local comic shops don't even sell slabbed books. One guy has some real good stuff too, like Avengers #2, Silver Surfer #1, etc., and doesn't even have the books in Mylars, but in the regular poly bags!

Does anyone's local comic shop sell a lot of slabbed books?

I haven't ventured into the realm of slabbed books...yet. It's been about 5 years that I stopped buying books, and I've only just started reading about collecting again. I like the idea of somewhat knowing what to expect when buying books unseen. I've been burned in the past with some CBG dealers advertising VFNM only to get restored books - heck, one book had been completey torn down the spine and glued back together. That wouldn't have happened with a CGC grade.

I have a few books that I'd like to send in for a grade. A beautiful 1947 Eerie #1 that I think would grade the best in the CGC Census. Also a spectacular Strange Tales 169 (Dr Strange) - this puppy is sooo stunning: glossy, sharp courners, no stress lines or creases, and surprisingly NO Marvel chips!

I'm am going to the post office to mail the last CGC book I have that just sold on eBay last Sunday.

Not to worry...

I'm getting my next bunch together to send in, so in 3-4 weeks I'll have some more.

thumbsup2.gif

None here ,although my brother has a few and being that we have a joint collection I guess I can't plead innocent entirely.

I can say that I have never purchased a slabbed book and have never sent one in to be slabbed (although Ive got a few sharp GA books I'd like to slab ... Action 41, Whiz 19-21,Human torch 33 etc....) Its a matter of time and I'll be over the cliff with the rest of the lemmings.

BTW, my two local comic shops don't even sell slabbed books. One guy has some real good stuff too, like Avengers #2, Silver Surfer #1, etc., and doesn't even have the books in Mylars, but in the regular poly bags!

In my area I have been to about 12 local comics book stores. Out of all them 0% slabbed books. There isn't a single store that carries them. I would say out of those dozen about 7 don't carry back issues. Of the remaining 5, 3 of them don't carry back issues past roughly 1985. Fairly pathetic. sorry.gif

Oh and I have many slabbed books, just to answer my side. thumbsup2.gif

I do not own any and I have only seen 1 in real life inside a dealers case.

I doubt I would ever buy a graded book, but I would submit some books for grading if I ever get my hands on some that I think are worth it. Currently, the most I own is modern stuff and I fear the few Silver Age items I have would be in too poor of condition.

In my area I have been to about 12 local comics book stores. Out of all them 0% slabbed books. There isn't a single store that carries them. I would say out of those dozen about 7 don't carry back issues. Of the remaining 5, 3 of them don't carry back issues past roughly 1985. Fairly pathetic. sorry.gif

Oh and I have many slabbed books, just to answer my side. thumbsup2.gif

Both of the LCS I go to have a lot of good old books, but just no slabbed ones. I don't know if they feel the books won't bring a high enough premium to justify slabbing them, or they choose just not to be bothered with the whole submission deal, and figure they're just better off selling them raw, and letting buyers get them slabbed if they feel like it.

I think I'm going to ask these guys about this issue when I visit each of them next time.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif