• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just saw the new Batman movie

214 posts in this topic

As for Braveheart? Urgh!!

Bah, all you limey's hate it!

I've found that there are two movies that Brits can get violently angry after watching - Braveheart and In the Name of the Father.

I thoroughly enjoyed In The Name Of The Father - decent, economic direction, good -script, and a tremendously energetic performance from Daniel Day-Lewis. It was an authentic bit of work about a miscarriage of justice that needed to be told.

Yep, Brit-bashing does rile us, but when it's coupled with a cynical disregard for history, an OTT grandstanding turn by the lead and an anachronistic, thick-ear action-movie -script, that's when hackles are raised. I honestly think Gibson was jumping on the Celtic bandwagon with that film. I still can't believe it got Best Picture Oscar.

Braveheart is one of my favorite movies of all time :cloud9:

Just came back from it...some if of the scenes were a bit incomplete or "didn't fit", but Ledger nailed the Joker and then some. He went out guns blazing! It definitely wasn't a "kiddie" movie because it was very dark and violent. The moral overtones and messages in the movie were great (as with all tragedies). 3.5 out of 4 stars from me. My wife enjoyed it as well (and she is the anti-christ of comics).

Did anyone else notice how the Joker changed his "origin of his scars"? I didn't notice it but the wife brought it to my attention.

For some reason our theatre had the volume turned low on the voices as it sounded a bit muffled...

Just came back from it...some if of the scenes were a bit incomplete or "didn't fit", but Ledger nailed the Joker and then some. He went out guns blazing! It definitely wasn't a "kiddie" movie because it was very dark and violent. The moral overtones and messages in the movie were great (as with all tragedies). 3.5 out of 4 stars from me. My wife enjoyed it as well (and she is the anti-christ of comics).

Did anyone else notice how the Joker changed his "origin of his scars"? I didn't notice it but the wife brought it to my attention.

For some reason our theatre had the volume turned low on the voices as it sounded a bit muffled...

Yes it has been said that even with his origin in the Killing Joke "other than being the Red Hood, that his true origin of who he is and how he became the Hood is in question due to his psychotic nature. This quote is from KJ ,"Sometimes I remember it one way, sometimes another... if I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!" I think this I probably why they let his origin change around in this film plus to pick one of the 2 would take away some of the characters mystique.

To simply say his father was an abusive drunk and that's why he's so up would take away from the character.

MY REVIEW WITH SPOILERS

I'll start by saying that it was the first mind blowing cinematic experience I have had since I walked out of Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring about 7 years ago.

I'd call it a monumental and amazing film. Everyone is praising Ledger's performance, and I back it up 100%. Whether he was alive or not, he deserves an award for it. I really do love Nicholson's Joker, but Ledger just brought Joker to a whole new level. The -script was great, and Ledger executed the -script perfectly.

The movie was VERY philosophical, which I like. The writing behind Joker was completely spot on, as it showed him as a very deep and reasoning criminal (even if his reasoning was insane). We all know the criminals who do what they do for money or physical power, but from what I can see the drive behind Joker was neither. To him, the power was playing with people's mind. He is a crazed killer like any crazed mainiac, but he has the mental prowess of villians like Thanos.

Ledgers amazing performance aside, the rest of the movie was great. Bale did a fine job as Batman/Bruce Wayne. The only thing I would liked to have seen was Batman actually kill a criminal. I wanted that to lead into a third movie. I wanted to see Batman fighting not only criminals, but fighting his own desire to kill them. Either way, good job. The guy that played Harvey Dent/Twoface was also great. Out of all of the minor problems I had with the movie, I'd say that one of them was with his character though. He was in a crazed rage against Gordon for "letting" Rachel die. Well, sure, in the mind of someone enrage, he could be viewed as someone who did not to their duty. But even so, why did he not go on a mad, crazed search for Joker first? He knows that Joker was the one behind it. I wanted to see another storyline ready for a third movie, and that is a gang war between Two Face and Joker.

The girl that played Rachel was good enough I guess. She seemed a bit aged for the part. Nowhere near as good looking as Katie Holmes either. Although her voice sounded almost the same as Holmes. The storyline was very complex as well. I was confused numerous times as to what was going on, and who was on who's side and why they were doing certain things. I actually like it though. I'd rather have this than a flat, standard, boring storyline. There were a lot of players, and a lot of agendas going around. I'll need to see it again to completely understand it. A lot of cuts to different scenes was one of the most confusing things.

There were a couple of times where I thought it wasn't perfect, but no movie is truly flawless. Really, the only negatives are with the technical aspects and not the performace of any of the actors. The cst was good overall, butLedger went above and beyond. Even with the problems there were, they were so minor and few that it doesn't really bother me. The positives in this movie are enough so that I'd want to give it a 5/5. It is now right above X2 for favorite comic movie, and right neck and neck with LOTR for my favorite movie of all time.

MY REVIEW WITH SPOILERS

Ledgers amazing performance aside, the rest of the movie was great. Bale did a fine job as Batman/Bruce Wayne. The only thing I would liked to have seen was Batman actually kill a criminal. I wanted that to lead into a third movie. I wanted to see Batman fighting not only criminals, but fighting his own desire to kill them. Either way, good job. The guy that played Harvey Dent/Twoface was also great. Out of all of the minor problems I had with the movie, I'd say that one of them was with his character though. He was in a crazed rage against Gordon for "letting" Rachel die. Well, sure, in the mind of someone enrage, he could be viewed as someone who did not to their duty. But even so, why did he not go on a mad, crazed search for Joker first? He knows that Joker was the one behind it. I wanted to see another storyline ready for a third movie, and that is a gang war between Two Face and Joker.

He didn't have too. The Joker freed him, he didn't need to go look for him. Dent listened to Joker and let Chaos rule his life as instructed. He let a coin decide the Joker's life and it landed clean side up, so The Joker lived.

i dunno if im just forgetting this, but did rachel know bruce was batman in the 1st movie? or when she found out in dk i just wasent paying attention...

yea she knew in the end!

My wife and I just got back from it and she actually liked it more than I did and I liked it a lot. I also liked the first Batman movie with Michael Keaton a lot. Apples and Oranges. I liked Heath Ledger and Jack Nicholson. Two different styles and approaches executed well. The film was extremely dark and not for kids. I think acting behind a mask of white face and eyeshadow benefited Ledger. I have no desire to see this film again. I saw the Michael Keaton film several times for whatever that's worth. Maybe it's the time period.. I grew up reading Batman in the fifties and early sixties.

I kind of agree with you Vince; my wife and I saw it tonight on the IMAX and I really don't care to watch it again either. Ledger was great but since he died just 6 months ago I kept thinking about what a shame that was a bit too much during the movie.

We got a babysitter and went to the 7:00 showing. The line was almost completely wrapped inside the theater almost as long as the theater itself. We bought the tickets early this afternoon and arrive around 6:40, so by the time everyone was sat my wife and I were in the 2nd row. So it was fatiguing on our eyes sitting that closely to the screen.

I want to watch it again when it comes out on Blu-Ray. Great action scenes; especially when the car turns into a motorcycle and he turns around on the wall.

i dunno if im just forgetting this, but did rachel know bruce was batman in the 1st movie? or when she found out in dk i just wasent paying attention...

She knew by the end of the first movie.

In Batman Begins, she knows by the end of the movie because he repeats something to her as Batman that she told to Bruce. She figures it out.

"It's not who you are underneath...

...it's what you do that defines you."

Did anyone else think the begining was great and sucked you in.

The only thing that could have been improved was having the 1st 4 minutes shot in black and white. The intro added sound slowly to the Joker team's bank robbery. Shades of blue or Joker-red should have been added until we see the 1st on screen appearance of Heath Ledger in full color!

I was shocked that this movie was better than Batman vs Ra's Al Ghul. :sumo:

Truly transcends the genre. Engrossing and one of the few films I would pay full price to see twice on the big screen.

Maggie Gyllenhall was a little underused as she is a real sex pot in her lingerie ads that were shot 7 months after giving birth.

My fave movies of ALL time:

1. Godfather 2

2. Batman: Dark Knight

3. Blade Runner

4. Aliens 2

5. SW: Return of the Jedi

Yes, I am a geek and darn proud of it! :headbang:

For Christopher Nolan's 3rd Batman franchise film, I guess they will introduce another female lead: Catwoman or Talia (daughter of the Demon Ra's Al Ghul). :wishluck:

For Christopher Nolan's 3rd Batman franchise film, I guess they will introduce another female lead: Catwoman or Talia (daughter of the Demon Ra's Al Ghul). :wishluck:

Wrong, they will introduce Batman's greatest enemy...Robin.

(thumbs u (thumbs u

The movie was well done. I liked the casting with the exception of Maggie Gylenhall. Am I the only one who thinks that by Hollywood standards she is unattractive?

Both Christian Bale and Maggie G arose out of independent films. By Hollywood standards, Bale is not as attractive as the Italian mayor of Gotham City. Google Maggie G's lingerie ads for a company that sounds like Agent Provocateur (sp?) for her hotness.

The only thing that could have been improved was having the 1st 4 minutes shot in black and white. The intro added sound slowly to the Joker team's bank robbery. Shades of blue or Joker-red should have been added until we see the 1st on screen appearance of Heath Ledger in full color!

I was shocked that this movie was better than Batman vs Ra's Al Ghul. :sumo:

Truly transcends the genre. Engrossing and one of the few films I would pay full price to see twice on the big screen.

Maggie Gyllenhall was a little underused as she is a real sex pot in her lingerie ads that were shot 7 months after giving birth.

My fave movies of ALL time:

1. Godfather 2

2. Batman: Dark Knight

3. Blade Runner

4. Aliens 2

5. SW: Return of the Jedi

Yes, I am a geek and darn proud of it! :headbang:

We are all geeks my friend and like you I am also proud of it! :hi:

I am going to though Dark Knight withdraw right now so I just put in Batman (1989) on DVD right now!

Both Christian Bale and Maggie G arose out of independent films. By Hollywood standards, Bale is not as attractive as the Italian mayor of Gotham City. Google Maggie G's lingerie ads for a company that sounds like Agent Provocateur (sp?) for her hotness.

I checked out the ads and just don't see it. In terms of acting, I think her brother has much more range...oh well...to each his own.

Just saw it, I really liked it. At first I wasn't sure it was SO f'ing dark that I was rattled by it. It took about a half an hour to get over that & start reflecting on how good it was. There are of course tiny flaws, but overall, a stunning movie. My girlfriend was pretty emotionally hit by Harvey & Gordon's scene in the Hospital. I won't go on about Heath, but yup, Brilliant.

My wife and I just got back from the movie and her words were "My god, that was an awesome movie!". She is up for seeing it again (IMAX next time :wishluck: - it was sold out tonight) so 'nuff said. It really sucks that Heath is dead - I don't think anyone can reprise his role as the Joker.

I hope they introduce Talia in the next flick as a way to have Ra's Al Ghul return. Looking at Batman's villains, the Riddler might be cool but someone like the Penguin would kind of suck. Setting up Ra's for a return in a 4th or 5th movie would be fine with me.