• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$66mm dark knight BO

166 posts in this topic

Anyone want to take a guess (or make a poll) on what the opening weekend take for Dark Knight is going to be?

My guess is $162 Million.

close...

new record of $166! :o topping Spidey 3. But that could be due to tcket pric increase. i still think the stats say that Spidey sold more tix though...

Anyone want to take a guess (or make a poll) on what the opening weekend take for Dark Knight is going to be?

close...

new record of $166! :o topping Spidey 3. But that could be due to tcket pric increase. i still think the stats say that Spidey sold more tix though...

Correct. (And I read that checking the news on my Wii) :)

close...

Where did you see that number?

there might have ben some fuzzy math this weekend... like Speed Racer.

Why do people even care? The fuzziest math in the world would've only turned it from a hugely massive bomb to just a massive bomb. lol

heres a more recent update on what I was referring to earlier:

'Dark Knight' Playing To $40+M Sunday; Will Crush Weekend Box Office Record

SUNDAY 8PM UPDATE: I've just been told by unofficial sources that Warner Bros' The Dark Knight is playing to packed Sunday performances for over $40M and maybe as high as $43M. That would mean a 9th record since Spider-Man 3's Sunday take in 2007 was a best ever $39.9M. It's also now abundantly clear that the Warner Bros caped crusader will crush the old 3-day weekend non-holiday record set by Spidey 3 last year. So rival studios were wrong to question whether Warner Bros' Sunday numbers were too aggressive! See my previous, 'Dark Knight' Breaks Eight Film Records.

Posted by Nikki Finke on Sunday, Jul 20th, 2008 at 08:07PM | Permalink | Comments (4)

and here are the records set this weekend:

Media By Numbers' OFFICIAL DARK KNIGHT RECORDS SO FAR (in order of occurrence):

1 - LARGEST NUMBER OF OPENING THEATRES WITH 4,366 (MORE THAN THE 4,362 DEBUT THEATRES OF PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: AT WORLD'S END IN 2007).

2 - BIGGEST MIDNIGHT PREVIEW GROSS WITH $18.489 MILLION IN 3,040 THEATRES (BEATS STAR WARS EPISODE III: REVENGE OF THE SITH AND ITS $16.9 MILLION IN 2,915 THEATRES IN 2005).

3 - BIGGEST IMAX MIDNIGHT PREVIEWS SET AN NEW RECORD WITH $640,000 (INCLUDED IN THE $18.489 MILLION PREVIEW NUMBER).

4 - BIGGEST SINGLE-DAY GROSS IN BOX-OFFICE HISTORY WITH $67.850 MILLION (BESTS THE $59,841,919 SET BY SPIDER-MAN 3 IN 2007).

5 - BIGGEST OPENING WEEKEND GROSS IN BOX OFFICE HISTORY WITH $155.340 MILLION (BESTS THE $151,116 MILLION SET BY SPIDER-MAN 3 IN 2007).

6 - BIGGEST OPENING WEEKEND GROSS FOR AN IMAX RELEASE IN BOX OFFICE HISTORY WITH $6,214,061 MILLION IN 94 THEATRES WITH $66,107 PER THEATRE. (BESTS THE $4.7 MILLION SET BY SPIDER-MAN 3 IN 2007.) IMAX SHOWING AT FULL CAPACITY $1.9 MILLION ON SATURDAY ALONE.

7 - BIGGEST OPENING WEEKEND OF 2008 WITH $151.340 (BEATS INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL'S $101.137 MILLION FROM MAY 23-25, 2008)

8 - BIGGEST JULY OPENING EVER (BEATS PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MAN'S CHEST'S $135,634,554 ON JULY 7, 2006).

See the Batman franchise numbers here.

...and other studios are questioning the totals.... but not causing a fuss. just putting it out there that there might have ben some fuzzy math this weekend... like Speed Racer.

All I know is that on Friday night in Chicago there was not a single ticket to Dark Knight to be found. I checked online and called and nothing. I went to see Hellboy at a 10:30PM show and there were staging lines with hundreds of people inside and outside the theatre for the DK showings and large "sold out" signs on all the showings, and this was a theatre running it 24 hours straight.

I have not seen a scene like this at a theatre in a long time, the weekend BO number is entirely possible.

C

Driving home on Saturday night, I saw the lines wrapped around the block at Union Square (New York City) for the film around 10pm or so. Saw the film at 11:40am on Sunday at the same theater and it was packed out. When I left, there were mega-lines queuing up for the next couple of performances (showing on multiple screens, in some cases very close together in timing). I saw on Fandango that the early afternoon shows were already sold out in the morning. The box office numbers didn't surprise me one bit.

I actually found it kind of odd that the 20+ screen multi-plex that my wife and I went to Friday night actually had tickets for all the showings and werent selling out up until about an hour before showtime. I bought tickets online for a 10:00pm showing at about 6:30pm thinking it was going to be hard to get tickets but it wasn't.

I'm thinking that because it was playing on so many screen at just even this one theater (they were running it every 30 minutes) that there probably were not many people turned away to see something else.