• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Comic Book Prices Rise 14.2%

63 posts in this topic

Hi Gang,

It's been a long while since the last update. I hope this was worth waiting for. Please have a look and let me know what you think.

CycleGirl

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Silver Age Comic Book Price Index 18-Month Performance

scpi-18-month-july-08-724407.png

The values of key Silver Age comic books have steadily risen since the beginning of the decade. I've created the SCPI (Silver Age Comic Price Index) to give serious collectors a more accurate view of the state of the market.

From January 2007 through July 2008, the SCPI has risen from 1410 to 1611. This represents a 14.2% increase over 18 months.

By design, the starting value of the SCPI in 2002 was exactly 1000. Therefore, the July 2008 value of 1611 represents a total increase of 61% in key Silver Age comic book values over the last six and a half years.

Returning again to the graph of the last 18 month period. The SCPI rose 12.6% from January through December 2007 and has only risen about 1.5% during the first half of 2008. While 2007 was a very strong year for the SCPI, 2008 is sluggish so far. This is may be due to the weak economy. It may also be due to a lack of movies for the "Big 3" Marvel titles in 2008.

For the complete article please see comicpriceindex

That's it, I'm dumping my 401K and going for short-term Silver-Age futures... :whatev:

* Well, then again... maybe I'll just go for GM and XOM stock instead. hm

I always worry that people will think that I'm endorsing comic books as an investment. That's not at all what I'm trying to do.

As collectors, we're all either buyers or sellers (and usually both) and I believe that the general trend of the market is of interest.

Anyway, I know that you're joking Solitaire, but I thought that I would respond anyway.

CycleGirl

I always worry that people will think that I'm endorsing comic books as an investment. That's not at all what I'm trying to do.

No, I certainly would not think that you were... nor would I choose to be a Bronze-Age, "throwaway title" collector if I viewed comic books as a sound investment either. I simply collect what I love! :grin:

As collectors, we're all either buyers or sellers (and usually both) and I believe that the general trend of the market is of interest.

Most deffinately -- especially during potentially trying times, such as these. Marketplace metrics are an invaluable tool, no matter what "market" you're into! Thanks for the data, CycleGirl! (worship)

Is there any breakdown by grades and slabbed vs. raw?

Yes, there are 32 books included in the index. The books were selected to cover a broad range of values and grades.

scpi-list-of-issues-729116.png

I've only used CGC graded books in the index because these are the only books for which a consistent grade/price relationship can be established.

For more information see the SCPI FAQ and What comics are included in the Comic Price Index?

Hope this helps.

CycleGirl

It's interesting which books have been included... hm

Every single one is a key or semi-key. As has been seen over the years, the differentials between keys and their sickly non-key cousins have widened. That can only happen because the keys rise at a greater rate (percentage) than the non-keys.

Any chance in retrospectively going back and picking a whole bunch of fairly irrelevant issues to include, and then tracking them across the past few years? (shrug)

Because as things stand, the results show how keys have risen, but not necessarily the Silver Age market. (thumbs u

But that is how any index is formed. The Dow Jones Industrials are hardly industrials anymore and are picked to represent a slice of the market. I think the picks are pretty good. There are only two DC books but that could be roughly what DC commands in the market. I don't have a feel for that.

It is overweighted in ASM but the Silver Age Market is overweight ASM right now so I think that is the right thing to do.

Every single one is a key or semi-key. As has been seen over the years, the differentials between keys and their sickly non-key cousins have widened. That can only happen because the keys rise at a greater rate (percentage) than the non-keys.

Any chance in retrospectively going back and picking a whole bunch of fairly irrelevant issues to include, and then tracking them across the past few years? (shrug)

Because as things stand, the results show how keys have risen, but not necessarily the Silver Age market. (thumbs u

Very good point.

The Dow Jones Industrials are hardly industrials anymore and are picked to represent a slice of the market.

OK. So, this would be better titled 'Key Silver Age Marvels Rise 14.2%', yes? (shrug) [/quote

where`s the love for silver age Gold Keys TV, DC war comics or House of Mystery 175?

The Dow Jones Industrials are hardly industrials anymore and are picked to represent a slice of the market.

OK. So, this would be better titled 'Key Silver Age Marvels Rise 14.2%', yes? (shrug) [/quote

where`s the love for silver age,Gold Keys TV, DC war comics or House of Mystery 175?

Not a matter of love, but rather the number of recorded sales for each member of the "index". Books with low numbers of transactions have a much higher variance in pricing over unit time than those with lots of transactions, and so don't make for reliable indexing.

where`s the love for silver age,Gold Keys TV, DC war comics or House of Mystery 175?

Not a matter of love, but rather the number of recorded sales for each member of the "index". Books with low numbers of transactions have a much higher variance in pricing over unit time than those with lots of transactions, and so don't make for reliable indexing.

I thought the Gold Key TV show adaptions were always good sellers ie BradyBunch, Scooby Doo Addams Family etc....?

I thought the Gold Key TV show adaptions were always good sellers ie BradyBunch, Scooby Doo Addams Family etc....?

You'd think so, but woof woof woof.

You'd think so, but woof woof woof.

a Gold Key Scooby Doo 1 or Brady Bunch 1 is a lot harder to find in high grade than a lot of the superhero stuff of that period.

a Gold Key Scooby Doo 1 or Brady Bunch 1 is a lot harder to find in high grade than a lot of the superhero stuff of that period.

That's the point, now isn't it? The hard-to-find stuff is sold with insufficient frequency to be useful as part of a pricing index.

Yes, the index represents key issues.

FT, I can try to do something like this over a long time frame. In the 18-month timeframe, the non-keys might not have enough data, but in the 2002 - 2008 timeframe they probably do.

I'm open to some suggestions on this, but one thought off the top of my head... Where possible, I could use issues right before or after a key issue. For example, X-Men #12 is a key so I could use X-Men #11 or X-Men #13 in the non-Key set. Unfortunately, this doesn't work very well with the #1 issues because the #2 issue isn't an apple to apple comparison if you know what I mean. Still, it's probably the best we can do... At least it's the same age and title.

The idea is to try to isolate the effect of a book being a "key" versus "non-key", right? So we want to, create a list of books that the non-key sister books of the SCPI. Perhaps a dozen books would do....

I won't be on my computer very much today as I have family over and have to entertain and cook, etc. I'll try to catch up on this thread tonight.

CycleGirl