• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Going to Geppi's Museum in Baltimore, MD - any suggestions

19 posts in this topic

I'm going to Baltimore for the weekend from NY. Planning on catching an Orioles game, going to the Geppi Museum and the Babe Ruth Museum.

Any recommendation on a good seafood restaurant (price no problem, just good seafood and lots of it)? Also, any other must see attractions in the area?

Thanks!

I took the train from Brawltimore to Hunt Valley a couple years ago and while the inner harbor seemed very nice, the surrounding area seemed very rough.

Mikeyriffhard lives there I believe perhaps he can fill you in?

If you see someone that looks like TTTTTTTIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMMMMAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY....

shoot it...he's a Skrull. .

I took the train from Brawltimore to Hunt Valley a couple years ago and while the inner harbor seemed very nice, the surrounding area seemed very rough.

Mikeyriffhard lives there I believe perhaps he can fill you in?

The Inner Harbor (very close to the Geppi Museum), Fells Point (by the water), Canton, and Federal Hill (all in the same general downtown area) are (mostly) okay, with lots of fine restaurants to choose from. The Inner Harbor is also where you'll find the MD Science Center, The National Aquarium, and the other usual touristy stuff. All of it worthwhile for what it is.

Bottom line...stay close to the Harbor and you'll be fine.

Avoid the instant pizza that is served in their Little Italy. Worst pizza I have ever tasted (straight from Safeway's Boboli) and their large wood sign out front states, "Voted best Italian food in Baltimore." Service was rude after they brought us the wrong bottle of vino and tried to upsell us.

Geppi Museum is superb! Ranks Cgc 11.0. :foryou:

If you see someone that looks like TTTTTTTIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMMMMAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY....

shoot it...he's a Skrull. .

:roflmao:

If you want good fresh seafood go to annapolis.

^^

I'm going to Baltimore for the weekend from NY. Planning on catching an Orioles game, going to the Geppi Museum and the Babe Ruth Museum.

Any recommendation on a good seafood restaurant (price no problem, just good seafood and lots of it)? Also, any other must see attractions in the area?

Thanks!

there is a recently completed, very nice addition to the inner harbor called Harbor East.....about 1 mile from the Geppi Museum / 5-7 minute car ride. Here is a link to the restaurants, including Oceanaire Seafood Room, which is a high end, award winning new top notch seafood restaurant........you said price doesn't matter, so that's the place to go. I was there 2 months ago, and the food / atmosphere / service was outstanding.

http://www.harboreast.com/dine.htm

we also have a historic district called Fells Point, with cobblestone streets, waterfront dining and shopping, and site seeing boat cruises........pretty cool area

Fells Point is about 10-15 minutes south of the Geppi Museum ( by car )

Watch The Wire.

Don't go anymore than three blocks north of the Inner Harbor. Fells Point is good for dinner, try Bertha's Mussels for some local flavor.

Don't go anymore than three blocks north of the Inner Harbor. Really, don't go more than three blocks north. There's big signs - "Here there be monsters."

Here is a pic that is a good representation of the Fells Point area of Baltimore.....these may look like "run of the mill" row homes turned into shops and pubs , but in this area, these are actually big bucks ( $1 Mill+ ) / highly desirable properties.

As is typical for Baltimore though, all you have do is stray 4 or 5 blocks north, and your relatives back home will be getting a call to confirm dental records.

South ( wasterfront area ) is good......North ( away from the waterfront area ) is not so good ( that is, if one of your goals during your trip is survival )

Steve

62640.jpg.61509c9237c741458a94b856e2f2191e.jpg

62642.jpg.2806b67e0af49bb81056daafe36ed052.jpg

North ( away from the waterfront area ) is not so good ( that is, if one of your goals during your trip is survival )

:gossip: East and West ain't so hot, either...

In terms of dangerous cities of similar size, Baltimore is damn near at the top of the list. And like any city in America, it has places where you shouldn't be after dark. Some of the clubs I play with my band are in (or close to) those areas, and I've seen my share of hair-raising stuff (and some big-@ss rats!) after the witching hour strikes. But like everyone else says, if you stick close to the tourist areas and don't decide to wander around East Baltimore at 2:00 AM, you'll be fine.

Also: I know it's kind of generic, but the Hard Rock Cafe here in town is still pretty cool if you haven't been to one before. And the Fogo de Chao Brazilian steakhouse on Pratt Street (not far from the Harbor) is very much worth the trip...

There's a reason the TV show Homicide was set in Baltimore.

Yeah, Baltimore worked hard to earn its lousy reputation. I've lived and worked in this area since the '70s, and it's been one long steep decline. But...it's not without its charms, including the musical underground here, which is pretty healthy compared to other cities on the East Coast. It even got Rolling Stone's attention (not that that means mess these days, but still)...

Baltimore...Best ROCK "Scene"

Thanks all for the responses. I get it... stay close to the harbor area and don't go into areas that I have no business going into. I am from NYC, so I know how that goes.

I will be at the game on Sat. night Mac Man. Where are you sitting Mac? I don't have tix yet, I plan to buy them on the street once we arrive.

My plans are to see the Walter museum, Babe Ruth museum, Geppi museum and then the Orioles game. I am hoping to find some good fresh seafood for lunch and dinner!!!

Don't go anymore than three blocks north of the Inner Harbor. Really, don't go more than three blocks north. There's big signs - "Here there be monsters."

Guess that is why the youth hostel we stayed at was just $99 for 4 beds in a private locked dorm. It was located about 6 blocks north of the Inner Harbor. Was a slow Monday night, so the 3 of us were NOT accosted. :shy: