• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

But Frank, tell us what you really think of slabs? (Frank Miller)

75 posts in this topic

i care what frank miller thinks about slabs about as much as he cares what i think about all star batman and robin

Fully agree with both this and Bob's statement.

Unless Frank is a collector of vintage books, his opinion is nothing more than that of an observer of the hobby.

I gotta agree with his comment about the feel and smell of old books, though.

I do find it ironic that I actually agree with Richard Muchin and what he was quoted as saying in the article.

Richard is probably one of the most knowledgable people in this hobby. Unfortunately, he likes to restore his own books...

and neglect to mention the fact?

And does it poorly.

I actually thought he did a pretty good job at mentioning it. Did I miss something?

You missed the fact that this article is almost a year old. And it got the same discussion last year when it got posted. :whistle:

I didn't miss a thing.

;)

I do find it ironic that I actually agree with Richard Muchin and what he was quoted as saying in the article.

I don`t know about him but if I ever get a Action 1 or Detective 27, I am leaving it slabbed, not going to take his advice of opening them. if I want to read Action 1 or any valuable comics. I will read the reprints. I thank Steve Borock for coming up with CGC. the best thing that happened to the hobby the 15 years I was out.

I don't think Frank was really referring to Action 1 and 'Tec 27 with his comments. It seems silly that we keep bringing up these types of examples when we talk about slabbing, considering the very limited number of copies of these two books that have actually been slabbed.

The slabbing game from a pure quantity point of view is really dominated by Modern Age books which has no real value from a relative point of view. The article itself states that fully half of the books slabbed by CGC comes straight from the printers. :gossip:

Of course he's right, in that the slabbed comic is a commodity and not a comic book in the original sense.

In total and complete agreement with your above statement! (thumbs u

Not surprised one bit by Frank's opinion asi I feel that virtually any comic book creator would feel exactly the same way. To them, their work and creation is all about the comic book itself. hm

i find it stupid to slab a modern unless it has a sig. but that is my opinion.

in older books that are more valuable i would slab to detect resto and get a better grade on it. then i would crack it so i can flip though the pages. i like reading my old comics.

I don't even need the comic book anymore. I can get a subscription from Marvel and read it right online if I want to. Soon they will have most of their library uploaded. I wonder what that will do to the reader trade?

I have said it several times but CGC/GPA are the only reasons I am back in this hobby. Between restoration and the sell at NM and buy at VF game that dealers played, I was done in 1993.

My question is Frank a collector to begin with to be making that type of comment?

If you want reader copies then just go get the Marvel Omnibuses.

I dont need a crappy, old, moldy reader copy when I can just read the omni's.

That would eliminate nearly 1/3 of my entire collection! :o:sorry:

Richard is probably one of the most knowledgable people in this hobby. Unfortunately, he likes to restore his own books...

and neglect to mention the fact?

I've never had that experience, but I can only speak on my dealings with him.

No, many does not mean all Joe. I'm well aware the population on this board is not representative of comic collectors as a whole. They're a very small population in my neck of the woods. Still, there is a large group out there who do spend large amounts of money on slabs--that was my point. Sorry if it was unclear.

If he doesn't care for the product then he has every right to not sign them. You make it sound like he's obligated to sign a SS...or anyone for that matter. I seriously doubt his lack of signing SS slabs is hurting his fanbase whatsoever.

Jim

No, many does not mean all Joe. I'm well aware the population on this board is not representative of comic collectors as a whole. They're a very small population in my neck of the woods. Still, there is a large group out there who do spend large amounts of money on slabs--that was my point. Sorry if it was unclear.

If he doesn't care for the product then he has every right to not sign them. You make it sound like he's obligated to sign a SS...or anyone for that matter. I seriously doubt his lack of signing SS slabs is hurting his fanbase whatsoever.

Jim

Now I'm pretty sure that's not what I was saying... see my discussion about Ditko over in the SA section, and you'll see that that sort of mentality couldn't further from my POV. Let me go back and double check my original posts though to see if I might have been unclear...

Jim, I double checked and I was simply making an observation that his dislike for slabs is a very probable reason the guys from SS don't get many signatures from him. My point of contention with his statement was in baiting his fans. What I did notice from my post was I should have provided a direct quote of what I considered baiting--specifically where he talks about how he should just create comics with no substance in between the covers in response to slabbing. This certainly does seem to be a little antagonistic, and if I was a slab collector, I'd certainly be annoyed with his response.

So, hopefully I've made myself a little more clear (not that I think there was anything in my OP to indicate a responsibility on his part to sign books... just be a little more conscientious of his fans was all).

:foryou:

Of course he's right, in that the slabbed comic is a commodity and not a comic book in the original sense. What he's missing is that he's likely not a collector of vintage comics himself, and so does not suffer from the slings and arrows of buying raw books that are either wildly overgraded or, worse, have undisclosed restoration. Had he been burned big a few times as a collector, he might understand the slab. He could even buy slabs and crack the suckers out, like many of us.

Well said. Where lies the conundrum ? Buy the book, crack the slab.Sometimes I do.It's a simple process.I think most of the naysayers object more to the price than the slab, I think CGC is the best thing to happen to the hobby since Howard M (or D ) Rogofsky.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

If he doesn't care for the product then he has every right to not sign them. You make it sound like he's obligated to sign a SS...or anyone for that matter.

Jim

Or..... to discourage people from asking for SS signatures in he future, he could sign all SS requests like this:

cgc129.jpg