• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Showcase #4

427 posts in this topic

As most have stated. It is a "safe" one to buy. I don't think it will appreciate as quickly as AF 15 and FF 1, but, it is a significant comic, and, still relevant.

I still read the current Flash and, Barry is almost always in the story. As a matter of fact, he should be coming back in the new crisis (I haven't picked up the recent series yet.)

And, speaking of a nice 4.0, here's mine. I'll be liberating it at the forum dinner in L.A. before the end of the year.

59184-showcase4_post.jpg

That is one nice VG Showcase #4!!!!

S

I definitely am on the lookout for a Showcase 4 -- they seem difficult to come across... but it is a terrific key and while does not have the same "heat" AF 15 does, I believe it is an extremely significant, if not more significant, book.

It's funny because the major point of contention in the GA v. SA thread over in General is scarcity v. demand. I'm not saying Showcase #4 has a low demand, but I do think it runs a second place to AF 15. However, I think most of us would agree we see plenty more AF 15s than Showcase 4s. This would be a great book to own, but too rich for my blood.

Showcase #4 seems to be in significant demand in almost any grade, and that's been true as long as I've been collecting. It's one of the handful of silver age books about which you can say that. It's also one of the least common (maybe the least common) of the silver age keys. You just don't see it coming up for sale nearly as often as the other major SA keys.

Whether it will increase in value short-term is another question. Maybe, maybe not - no one can say for sure. But as a long-term investment, Showcase #4 is one of the safest investments among all SA keys in my opinion.

Showcase #8 is slow and over priced in guide. Showcase #4 is a different matter. The demand for Showcase #4 is strong. Problem is, unlike AF#15, most copies are pretty beat.

S

I would agree with that. I obtained my #8 for less than guide. You should not be able to do that on slabbed keys in an open auction. There are not many SC4 on the market right now. I have not seen anything real nice other than the two restored copies that Silver has on ebay but I think those are overpriced as well.

I think the reason we dont see many copies for sale is partly a sign that it IS a stale book. Remember back in the 90s when it was touted as THE Silver Age book suddenly. And a book you NEVER see. Soon after a few nice sales EVERY dealer had a copy on his wall, semingly out of nowhere.

So my take is that collectors are sitting on their copies because they like having them PLUS its not the right time to sell. If there is pent up demand, as you guys are saying, maybe that time is nigh.

Well there is demand for at least one that I know. My daily check on ebay netted nothing as usual.

None in auctions

5 in ebay stores.

1.8 restored

3.0 restored

7.5 restored

7.5 restored

9.2 blue

On comic link 3 copies

6.0 blue overpriced

3.0 blue no picture

2.0 pgx focused auction

Heritage

3.5 blue 2629.00 sold

Well there is demand for at least one that I know. My daily check on ebay netted nothing as usual.

None in auctions

5 in ebay stores.

1.8 restored

3.0 restored

7.5 restored

7.5 restored

9.2 blue

On comic link 3 copies

6.0 blue overpriced

3.0 blue no picture

2.0 pgx focused auction

Heritage

3.5 blue 2629.00 sold

that 6.0 currently on Clink looks nice, but way over my price range, that would be the most I've ever spent on a book and I just can't do that with a SA book,. I wish I had known of the 3.5 blue Heritage copy, as I would have tried for that one. oh well.

You have to remember that a Show #4 Cgc 6.0 unrestored is hi-grade and equivalent to AF #15 Cgc 7.5 or 8.0 in scarcity. You basically see 10 copies of AF 15 for every unrestored :cool: copy of Show 4 that you find.

Very true. I don't remember seeing a copy in almost 5 years. There was a 7.5 S #4 floating around on Ebay for a while and now that is gone. Very tough book. That was a *WOW* book when it first his the stands from what I hear.

R.

Metropolis has a CGC 9.4 NM coming up in their September auction

HERE

um.. wow !! yeah I'm looking for one just a tad bit cheaper. :grin:

dang, take 2.0 off the grade and it would be right in my wheelhouse. I think my wife would balk at signing papers to take out a home equity loan for a comic.

Metropolis has a CGC 9.4 NM coming up in their September auction

HERE

um.. wow !! yeah I'm looking for one just a tad bit cheaper. :grin:

dang, take 2.0 off the grade and it would be right in my wheelhouse. I think my wife would balk at signing papers to take out a home equity loan for a comic.

I didn't know CGC had a 7.4 grade. :insane:

Showcase # 4 is the second super-hero comic that I can ever recall purchasing off-the-rack at a little Candy Store (Jimmies) around the corner from where i lived in East Orange NJ....

Coincidentally, when i got back into buying back issues some 6 years ago, it was again the Second purchase i made. I wanted a very nice copy and wasn't willing to go for the huge bucks, so i bought this one;

showcase.jpg