• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Showcase #4

427 posts in this topic

can we please throw Detective 225 in there as well, mostover rated, over priced low demand DC "key"

Well, it IS genuinely impossible to find in HG.

So are a gazillion other DC's from that era :baiting:

BIG 5 collectors have known for a long time that OOAW 81 is not the real first appearance of SGT. Rock, and OOAW 83 is. There were many books that were "proto-types" of SGT. Rock. Overstreet said OOAW 81 was the first appearance, so most of the collecting community regarded it as such. It doesn't change the fact that OOAW 83 is really the first appearance and that GI Combat 45, 68 and several others were just books leading up to SGT. Rock's first appearance.

All I can say to this is that it`s not just Bob Overstreet. JOE KUBERT believes that OOAW 81 was the first Sgt. Rock. (shrug)

I personally feel the same way about the silver age and Showcase 4. Showcase 4 started something, but the silver age didn't start with its publication....but Overstreet says it does.

Showcase 4, 8, 14 etc. eventually lead to BB 28. Brave and the Bold 28 in 1960 quite possibly influenced the Marvel age of comics, which has got to be more significant than the single appearance of the Flash in 1956...which remember didn't really change anything then. Comics kept coming out after Showcase 4 that weren’t different at all than the way they had been, and didn't change much for several years. I have a bunch of DC books from 1956-1960, I know this.

You`re applying a 21st-century mindset to 1956. The ability to get instant feedback, and then apply that feedback to the publication process, was infinitely slower back then than it is today. The fact that they got out another Flash book 4 issues later is hugely impressive to me, and then were confident enough to get out 2 more issues 5 issues later.

You could say that B&B 28 was the real turning point that ensured the Silver Age was here to stay, but even the most diehard B&B 28 fans would have to acknowledge that B&B 28 owes its existence to Showcase 4.

I don't disagree that Showcase 4 is a significant and desirable book, I just disagree that is singularly the book that launched the silver age, and that the silver age of comics began at the time Showcase 4 came out.

can we please throw Detective 225 in there as well, mostover rated, over priced low demand DC "key"

Love the purple cover big head trilogy, by the way!

''''' I don't disagree that Showcase 4 is a significant and desirable book, I just disagree that is singularly the book that launched the silver age, and that the silver age of comics began at the time Showcase 4 came out."""

I thunk we all agree with this. If you are just saying nothing changed over night, we all agree.

I don't disagree that Showcase 4 is a significant and desirable book, I just disagree that is singularly the book that launched the silver age, and that the silver age of comics began at the time Showcase 4 came out.

So what do you consider the start of the Silver Age ? FF 1 ? What people are saying about the impact of the Barry Allen Flash in Showcase 4 is fact, not just arbitrary guesses. The success of the book led to the continuous try out reintroductions of future DC heroes in a Sci Fi format, to the JLA, and to Stan Lee taking that notion into the creation of the FF and the Marvel Age of comics.

Whether you believe being the catalyst of this is worthy of the praise that Showcase 4 gets is another story but simply disregarding its impact is a different matter. Most Marvel Zombies dont believe the Silver Age began until FF 1 came out, obviously Marvel ruled this era so who are you to disagree with them. Some believe it didnt occur until AF15 and the creation of the predominant hero of the last 20 years. But the traces of the Marvel Age can be drawn back to Showcase 4 and to deny that is simply not looking at the evidence of what people are saying occurred in 1956 and the resulting actions of DC.

Yeah, gotta have fun with your comics!

Contrary to what my Showcase 4 comments would have you think, I just love DC's from the mid to late 50's.

Yeah, gotta have fun with your comics!

Contrary to what my Showcase 4 comments would have you think, I just love DC's from the mid to late 50's.

Ditto. DC 10 centers make up 80 percent of my purchases.

So what do you consider the start of the Silver Age ? FF 1 ? What people are saying about the impact of the Barry Allen Flash in Showcase 4 is fact, not just arbitrary guesses. The success of the book led to the continuous try out reintroductions of future DC heroes in a Sci Fi format, to the JLA, and to Stan Lee taking that notion into the creation of the FF and the Marvel Age of comics.

Whether you believe being the catalyst of this is worthy of the praise that Showcase 4 gets is another story but simply disregarding its impact is a different matter. Most Marvel Zombies dont believe the Silver Age began until FF 1 came out, obviously Marvel ruled this era so who are you to disagree with them. Some believe it didnt occur until AF15 and the creation of the predominant hero of the last 20 years. But the traces of the Marvel Age can be drawn back to Showcase 4 and to deny that is simply not looking at the evidence of what people are saying occurred in 1956 and the resulting actions of DC.

I haven't heard too many people argue that the SA began with Marvel. You'd have to ignore historical facts to make that argument.

I haven't heard too many people argue that the SA began with Marvel. You'd have to ignore historical facts to make that argument.

I think its nonsense but its been said by numerous Marvel people and many times on these boards. Just check up a couple posts to see peewee22's post.

Personally I think Showcase 22 is a much better book then Showcase 4, but thats just me.

Barry who???

It's sad, but I, among thousands of comic fans, have never opened a #4...and never had the inkling to.

And that's the start of the SA?

I think its nonsense but its been said by numerous Marvel people and many times on these boards. Just check up a couple posts to see peewee22's post.

Personally I think Showcase 22 is a much better book then Showcase 4, but thats just me.

I'm recalling the discussions that went on with the SA Survivor Series. There were lots of people arguing that FF1 or AF 15 were more important SA books, but I don't remember many people actually saying they thought the SA started with those books.

I've never read Showcase 4 myself, but that's because I'm holding off until I actually own it!

Barry who???

It's sad, but I, among thousands of comic fans, have never opened a #4...and never had the inkling to.

A lot of modern rock music fans have never owned Sgt Pepper and never had the inkling to, but it doesn't make them any less ignorant. :gossip:

Barry who???

A lot of modern rock music fans have never owned Sgt Pepper and never had the inkling to, but it doesn't make them any less ignorant. :gossip:

:signfunny:

Barry who???

Good point Tim. And anyone who loves Lennon is a friend of mine...

I have never really been a SA DC collector, but I have always liked Showcase #4. B&B #28 is just a re-hash of All-Star #3 (but I love the giant starfish cover).

In terms of comic book history Showcase 4 was a game changer. Plus Flash is a huge DC character.

I have never really been a SA DC collector, but I have always liked Showcase #4. B&B #28 is just a re-hash of All-Star #3 (but I love the giant starfish cover).

In terms of comic book history Showcase 4 was a game changer. Plus Flash is a huge DC character.

Good analogy.

It's just hard for the die-hard Marvelite out there to vote for a 1956 #4 but it is what it is...

Good analogy.

It's just hard for the die-hard Marvelite out there to vote for a 1956 #4 but it is what it is...

There is also a 1939 #27 that is pretty important as well. And also a 1962 #15.

Tony