• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another big find surfaces in Siegel / Superman copyright docs

85 posts in this topic

(worship) Feel free to take over! :grin:
I got so cross-eyed working on those lines that I don't think that I could handle another one. :P

I know what you mean! lol

How long did that take? I'd have to go outside and hit something with a sledgehammer after too much of working on that! Physical work feels good after hours on the computer doing tiedeous work like that! :insane:

My biggest fear is that someone will post the originals right after these are cleaned up! :eek:

I actually didn't clean up the xeroxed version, but completely redrew the whole thing. I straightened out the artwork so the perspective was right, stuck it a existing blank strip, lowered the opacity and digitally lightboxed the lines in a layer above it. Anyplace that was fuzzy, I just sketched it in. I worked on it about 3 hours spread over the last couple of days. It was fun, but hard on the eyes.

keatonpanel.jpg

whew... I feel better hearing that! I didnt think it was possible to clean it up so well.

I like pasting it on an actual strip board, stains included! if you had matched teh whites INSIDE the strip to the paper color you could have claimed to have found the original art!!

beautiful job O Master of the Arts

whew... I feel better hearing that! I didnt think it was possible to clean it up so well.

I like pasting it on an actual strip board, stains included! if you had matched teh whites INSIDE the strip to the paper color you could have claimed to have found the original art!!

OUTSTANDING work! (worship)

Thanks! I have to be careful about making it look too real. The Action #1 "original" ;) cover art that I did last year, is now being displayed on a major comics website as being THE original art. While that is flattering, it is kinda funny.

(worship) Feel free to take over! :grin:
I got so cross-eyed working on those lines that I don't think that I could handle another one. :P

I know what you mean! lol

How long did that take? I'd have to go outside and hit something with a sledgehammer after too much of working on that! Physical work feels good after hours on the computer doing tiedeous work like that! :insane:

My biggest fear is that someone will post the originals right after these are cleaned up! :eek:

I actually didn't clean up the xeroxed version, but completely redrew the whole thing. I straightened out the artwork so the perspective was right, stuck it a existing blank strip, lowered the opacity and digitally lightboxed the lines in a layer above it. Anyplace that was fuzzy, I just sketched it in. I worked on it about 3 hours spread over the last couple of days. It was fun, but hard on the eyes.

Was wondering how those thin lines and type got so clean! Makes sense now, great work!

I can really appreciate the time it took! (thumbs u

Yes, many thanks! These are amazing!

And I have to say, comparing these to the published Superman work that we know really renews my appreciation for what Joe Shuster brought to the early Superman books. The artist here certainly can draw well, but the overall look is somewhat fussy. Joe's simple drawings have a great amount of fun and energy in them, and an emotional quality that could really draw a young reader in.

Kitchen's response to the posting of the Russell Keaton Superman strips is here.

Link

It reads in part:

"I’m the one who sent the Russell Keaton Superman material to Jerry & Joanne Siegel years ago in an effort to produce a book about the “secret origin of Superman.” Some of you may recall that I published “The Aviation Art of Russell Keaton” in the 90s (Kitchen Sink Press) and in the process discovered this amazing connection. The unpublished material is co-owned by the Keatons & Siegels under © law) but the Siegel’s lawyers at the time would not allow this to go forward (because of the then-pending litigation against DC)."

Interestingly, Kitchen's response has become part of the court proceedings.

The discovery of this new material set off a heated legal exchange. DC’s lawyers challenged the Kitchen documents on several fronts, prompting Toberoff to defend Joanne Siegel’s ability to verify her husband’s signature and Denis Kitchen’s trustworthiness. DC claimed that the new material was filed too late to be considered at this point in the proceedings; the Siegels argued that DC had made a series of its own “rogue filings” with “unauthenticated evidence.”