• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Did You Buy from the Ads Inside?...

92 posts in this topic

I clearly remember ordering that massive set of army men that came in the "cardboard foot locker". Thing is, I didn't tell my parents I was ordering it, and all I had was my allowance money -- a pile of loose change. So I remember sticking all that change into a regular envelope and putting it in the mailbox. As I was mailing it, a bunch of the neighbourhood bullies were watching, and as I walked away from the mailbox they lit a string of firecrackers and shoved them in the mailbox.

I never received the army men. I don't know if it was because my letter went up in flames, or if my flimsy coin-stuffed envelope didn't survive the trip to Who-knows-where, USA, or if someone stole the money from my envelope, or if the company simply didn't ship to Canada (I doubt I read the fine print in the ad).

I wanted these. Never got em. :(

RomanSoldiers.jpg

I got it, still have 'em. They were very breakable, but then again, they part of many great battles throughout the house and yard.

I'm game - put 'em up for sale!

I bought two sets of the Revolutionary Soldiers - they were cool - I don't think I broke any, and still have them all - great stuff, providing endless hours of entertainment :thumbsup:

Anyone buy the...

Switchblade Comb.

I still have one of those!!! It's one of the only toys I have left from my childhood. I can't remember where it came from, though.

Sea Monkeys!

sea2.jpg

Talk about false advertising. lol

They turned out to be brine shrimp. My mom fed her fish with em.

Also, notice the cleverly designed disclaimer. "Not intended to depict artermia salina"

Why don't they just say brine shrimp. doh!

Taxonomy is a prerequisite to a six yr old's comic reading?

I ordered these as well. One of the biggest disappointments of my life.

Ken

I had them too. I never could teach them to do any tricks.

When I read my first American comic book, I thought you guys were so lucky to be able to order and buy those things.

I've always wondered about the two-man submarine and the life size Frankenstein's Monster model.

They looked awesome!

I bought the Knight Game -- with large castle. :tonofbricks:

Link

They had more soldiers but instead of medieval knights they were Greek hoplites with spears.

Didn't stop me from adding them to my stash of miniature toy soldiers that were used for massive battles around the yard. :blush:

I bought the Knight Game -- with large castle. :tonofbricks:

Link

They had more soldiers but instead of medieval knights they were Greek hoplites with spears.

Didn't stop me from adding them to my stash of miniature toy soldiers that were used for massive battles around the yard. :blush:

Don't remember those... were they in SA comics or DC's?

When I read my first American comic book, I thought you guys were so lucky to be able to order and buy those things.

I've always wondered about the two-man submarine and the life size Frankenstein's Monster model.

They looked awesome!

:o:o

I'm reading through this whole post just to see if anyone ordered the submarine!!!

Somebody had to- that thing looked so effin cool!!

Kinda OT but did anybody have the batmobile from the cereal box tops?? :cloud9:

They looked awesome!

I'm reading through this whole post just to see if anyone ordered the submarine!!!

The Submarine, or a similar one, was featured on an episode of CSI.

A boy puts his sister in the cardboard submarine and shoves her out into a lake.

Of course, she drowns and he tries to get back at the novelty company owner.

It was one of the dumbest episodes I have ever watched.

My wife always yells "They are showing that stupid cardboard submarine epesode again." :roflmao:

They looked awesome!

The Submarine, or a similar one, was featured on an episode of CSI.

A boy puts his sister in the cardboard submarine and shoves her out into a lake.

Of course, she drowns and he tries to get back at the novelty company owner.

It was one of the dumbest episodes I have ever watched.

My wife always yells "They are showing that stupid cardboard submarine epesode again." :roflmao:

Good thing CSI wasn't around 40 years ago - my father might have gotten some ideas.....