• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How long will it be before ComicConnect takes over ComicLink?

28 posts in this topic

How long will it be before ComicConnect takes over ComicLink?

You mean ComicConnect is gonna buy out ComicLink?

Or you mean overtake in sales...? hm

Discuss...

What proprietary product does either party have? Both, will have to buy books for their own account and fill the auctions in with consignors merchandise. The party that outspends the other will become the leader.

How long? Ask Metro how aggressive they will become in spending money?

Right now, CL has control of the new listings and many more graded books in their auctions. Cl, has a low overhead which can be cut rather easily so they will always be a factor in the business. The leader? It's up to Metro to decide whether winning the battle is profitable enough. Right now they seem to be building the business slowly. They are learning as time goes by but not yet willing to aggressively commit themselves to the business.

As long as comiclink keeps filling their featured auctions with impressive books, they will continue to be a major player in this hobby. Their customer-friendly service is also a great positive shining factor for the company. Love their auctions :headbang:

No offense, but I think the question is at best VERY premature and it could be argued that it's not even something that could be accomplished within several years... even if it was a specific goal of Metro's. I'm assuming it "really hasn't been" a top priority and that ComicConnect was established more as a new front to offer (mostly) their own inventory in a different package and grab whatever consignment business they could in the process.

I also think it would be unwise to underestimate Josh's business savvy and ability to adapt and counter. Did any of us imagine that he'd basically "spank" powerhouse Heritage the way he has? Much more of the cream is with Clink (and Pedigree) now as far as I can see.

Take a look at the rather lame (in comparison to day's past) Heritage offerings currently and also note that they are reacting to ComicLink specifically with a "revamp" that mimics ComicLink and PedigreeComics listings. They also launched a direct mail campaign targeted at (lost) consignors trying to convince them that the catalogs and superior traffic are worth more to a prospective consignor than the lower fees of the competition. I don't see too much of a shift back judging from the mass of unbelievable offerings in the August Focused Auction. Bottom line talks... and your pocket is likely to be heavier dealing with Clink and Pedigree at the end of the day... for most material. I don't follow Original Art much, but I imagine Heritage has the decided edge there...currently anyway.

Another point to be made is I believe ComicConnect opened their service with "0%" commissions for several months and still did not mange to recruit a respectable selection outside their own inventory IMO. I don't believe they had/have a winning plan in place, nor the desire to commit to really trying to accomplish that goal. I'm not sure they even need to with the success they have catering to their clientele. It may not be worth the effort and even if it was their top priority and they put in far more resources (advertising, etc.) than they have... I'm not confident that they could pull it off anyway. Could they grab more of the "consignment marketshare" than they currently have.. I would hope so. Would/could it be significant enough to equal or overtake Clink or Pedigree... highly, highly unlikely IMHO.

Time will tell.

CC's featured auctions are decent (although I imagine most of the books are theirs, and with reserves so I'm not really sure they're any different than what's listed on Metro's site for direct sale), but on a daily basis their regular listings stink.

Let's see what's up there the last few days...a bunch of low grade books with no scans priced at guide...a big run of Classics Illustrated...a big run of low-mid grade Captain Marvel Adventures priced at guide (4 copies of some issues), etc.,. By diluting the site with their own overstock, it cheapens the site IMHO.

Oh yeah, you gotta love that nice run of books that were listed there earlier this month with no scans and this customer-friendly "warning":

No offers please. (tsk)

Price firm. :sumo:

Scan requests answered for serious inquiries from buyers with purchase history on the site. :frustrated::mad:

The one thing I will say about ComicConnect is they do have some nicer features for their auctions than Comiclink. On ComicConnect, I can track items very similar to Heritage. I can't do this on CLINK and CLINK has been around for a LONG time. I personally think they miss out on so extra bidding since you have to remember everything you want to track. I would like to see this extended to non-auction items.

Dr.Banner and Batman_Fan hit it on the head. It's kind of silly to list "no offers" on a site where you can make offers. :shrug: It's also a bit of a pain with tracking items on CLINK whereas ComicConnect IS a bit easier to keep track of things.

However, considering the vast array of comics, art, and other related items, I don't see CLINK going down anytime soon.

Dr.Banner and Batman_Fan hit it on the head. It's kind of silly to list "no offers" on a site where you can make offers. :shrug: It's also a bit of a pain with tracking items on CLINK whereas ComicConnect IS a bit easier to keep track of things.

However, considering the vast array of comics, art, and other related items, I don't see CLINK going down anytime soon.

I completely agree, CLINK is going no where anytime soon, but I think since they have been successful in the past, they are less likely to do anything to really add new value to their customers, both buyers and seller. Josh seems to be happy with doing what he has for the past few years rather than look to add more features to his site. If ComicConnect starts to gain momemtum, that may change.

CC is trying to gain a foothold. I received a voucher in the mail the other day good for submitting 1 book for their upcoming event auction with 0% seller's commission. In other words, I get 100% of the purchase price.

CC is trying to gain a foothold. I received a voucher in the mail the other day good for submitting 1 book for their upcoming event auction with 0% seller's commission. In other words, I get 100% of the purchase price.

You can't go wrong with that sort of a deal!