• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CLINK auction- what'd you win/lose?

235 posts in this topic

thanks Nik! :wishluck:

It does seem like the C-Link auctions go for money that is way over GPA, which I dont understand because I am assuming that a lot of these buyers are board members and have GPA. hm

Sometimes its "how/where" an item is offered that can make a difference in the "willingness" of the buyer to go over market to obtain it. Perhaps (shrug) Clink's Focused Auctions are now attracting "more" of the seriously wealthy "upper echelon" buyers that may not have GPA (because they bid what they want to) and/or may have it but can afford to bid whatever.

Consider that many of these buyers may be "used" to paying 20% ON TOP of their bids at Heritage in the past to acquire this kind of material. Without that "Extra Juice" on the back end, perhaps they are much more aggressive leading to sales that eclipse what they would have bid at Heritage knowing that there was 20% juice coming hm ... just a theory.

As for "Over GPA" sales... much of what I tracked certainly has so far... but there have been several surprising "Under GPA" deals reported thus far too... and that HOS 92 9.6 was a downright steal under $5K IMO... it could easily sell for $7-8K in the near future I think. I sold one for $7K privately 3-4 years ago and this new one one may be only 1 of 2 I've seen become available since. I think its another case of a book that has not been "traded enough" for its true market value to be established.

Good observation. I would have to agree.

It does seem like the C-Link auctions go for money that is way over GPA, which I dont understand because I am assuming that a lot of these buyers are board members and have GPA. hm

Sometimes its "how/where" an item is offered that can make a difference in the "willingness" of the buyer to go over market to obtain it. Perhaps (shrug) Clink's Focused Auctions are now attracting "more" of the seriously wealthy "upper echelon" buyers that may not have GPA (because they bid what they want to) and/or may have it but can afford to bid whatever.

Consider that many of these buyers may be "used" to paying 20% ON TOP of their bids at Heritage in the past to acquire this kind of material. Without that "Extra Juice" on the back end, perhaps they are much more aggressive leading to sales that eclipse what they would have bid at Heritage knowing that there was 20% juice coming hm ... just a theory.

As for "Over GPA" sales... much of what I tracked certainly has so far... but there have been several surprising "Under GPA" deals reported thus far too... and that HOS 92 9.6 was a downright steal under $5K IMO... it could easily sell for $7-8K in the near future I think. I sold one for $7K privately 3-4 years ago and this new one one may be only 1 of 2 I've seen become available since. I think its another case of a book that has not been "traded enough" for its true market value to be established.

Good observation. I would have to agree.

Thanks Bronzebruce, I just wanted to understand the beast before I dive into any bids. :wishluck:

OT: Man I wish the Phillies could have kept that 3-2 Lead! :frustrated:

Thanks (thumbs u

Also, on that note... some of these "buyers" may also be "sellers" in the same auction and are obtaining very healthy sales which in turn could affect their perspective on how much they are "now" willing to spend.

I could see some rationalization going on... "Good Lord, I sold 3 books for way more than I expected... I'm going to reward myself and make sure I win X and Y".

The results so far with Clink's Focused Auctions and with the emergence of Pedigree's Grand Auctions... I see more and more of the quality books ending up on those sites... probably ComicConnect too, but to a lesser extent. Heritage is "bleeding good material" and the wounds are not coagulating.

It does seem like the C-Link auctions go for money that is way over GPA, which I dont understand because I am assuming that alot of these buyers are board members and have GPA. hm

Most of the boardies seem to striking out aside from or two mid graders here and there. No one's piped up with a big win.

I'm 0 for 6 :sorry: and I consider myself a loose hand on the bid button doh!

Trooper picked up a sweet Rockford Fight Comics #20 and Josh scored a monster with the Exciting Comics #28. Those are the 2 I've been most impressed with thus far.

I would like to know if a boardie picked up the Allentown Fight Comics #22. That's a sick book! 2x guide, nearly cracked the $1000 mark! :o I was in the running for about 5 seconds.

I'm currently 0-26. 9 bids still holding up. :wishluck:

Most of the boardies seem to striking out aside from or two mid graders here and there.

OK, I will pipe up again.

I got Batman #261 CGC 9.8 white for $605 (GPA = $1000) :banana:

I got Detective #400 CGC 9.4 OW-W for $905 (GPA = $1500) :banana:

I got JLA #38 CGC 9.4 C-OW for $355 (GPA = $598) :banana:

I figure I am $1200+ ahead just on those 3 alone.

I am thrilled with my TEC #400.......... :cloud9: Adams :cloud9:

But I struck out on a lot of others though, that's what happens when you put in low bids like me, you just hope to catch a break on a couple.

The book was a "Steal" because the cut was horrible and had OW pages. Not all 9.6s are equal. That is a variable that you guys keep forgetting.

I didn't forget Sterling, I factored that into my thinking... but in all honesty maybe not quite enough all things considered.

There's no doubt those factors had effect on the final price. That said, more often than not, I think "scarcity and availability" in the "virtually unattainable grade" for any particular key most often trumps those particular variables to a large extent. "Beggars can't be Choosers" so to speak.

I figured $5K would be a good deal for this book. If it was not an angle miswrap and had OWW pages... it may have sold for $1 to 1.5K+ more as you may be alluding to.

Perhaps this particular copy has less of an upside in the short term... maybe $5.5 to 6K, I can see that. However... if no other 9.6's show up in the next 1-2 years... I stand by my first prediction if its held onto until that point to capitalize on that possibility.

Not too many of them around. Hope you get yours BTW (thumbs u

I agree with you that I was expecting about $5k on that book...easily more...I'm really shaking my head at a lot of the high grade bronze prices lately in general...at least on this venue. It's making high grade ECs cheap by comparison.

I used to have a 9.4 but sold it in anticipation of a 9.6...this one did not fit the bill...

I love how 80% of the people here are all "doom and gloom", that the back issue market will fall soon because of a lack of new readers, etc. But at the same time they keep saying they can't believe the new record prices that have just been paid.

It's kind of funny.

I won nothing. Probably because I didn't bid on anything. Why would I bid in an auction when there is nothing I can't find elsewhere for less? Now if there was a book that was truly rare, I would most likely have bid.

Well, in general...the high grade market for specific niches (Adams, 100 pagers, etc) are doing great...but I also think that there are aspects of the market doing "ho hum" or actually declining. So, it's not funny....both aspects are true. Your perspective will vary depending on where you fit on the collecting curve.

I think we can say that Bronze has arrived however.

I agree with you that I was expecting about $5k on that book...easily more...I'm really shaking my head at a lot of the high grade bronze prices lately in general...at least on this venue. It's making high grade ECs cheap by comparison.

I used to have a 9.4 but sold it in anticipation of a 9.6...this one did not fit the bill...

You should have seen the 9.6 OWW, near-perfectly centered (1/16" straight miswrap if memory serves) I sold years back that I mentioned.

I sent it back to CGC first to take a stab at a 9.8. After it failed and I called for the grader notes and spoke to Steve about it... he said something to the effect of... "not quite a 9.8, but it would be a 9.7 if we had that grade".

Sweet... and no I don't have scan anymore.

Well, in general...the high grade market for specific niches (Adams, 100 pagers, etc) are doing great...but I also think that there are aspects of the market doing "ho hum" or actually declining. So, it's not funny....both aspects are true. Your perspective will vary depending on where you fit on the collecting curve.

I think we can say that Bronze has arrived however.

I agree with all of the above... the market is much more polarized now.

The keys are attaining new heights and the "nons" can be obtained for less than in years past with a little patience. There's simply more to choose from in those grades so you can wait it out for a better deal and/or be more selective. GPA has also helped the equation.

I won nothing. Probably because I didn't bid on anything. Why would I bid in an auction when there is nothing I can't find elsewhere for less? Now if there was a book that was truly rare, I would most likely have bid.

This is a pretty rare book imo, fetched 8x guide. If you have a line on a cheaper one lemme know so I can buy it! :grin:

RAD4E0ED200863_103459.jpg