• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's time for GPA to start reporting Comiclink Focused Auction results
1 1

217 posts in this topic

From George's email:

ebay auctions have an ending time - we only look at those that have ended, not all the pages of listings. But it's also to do with not knowing whether a [Comiclink] sale pending means the result is final or fell through.

Which doesn't tell you how E-Bay differs from ComicLink, a question three of us posed and I was attempting to answer. You paid no attention to the context of my post -- here, this is the quote I was responding to, since you appear to have ignored it the first time:

Can you pressent the proof That the CL sales prices are any more reliable than any auction site?

...just a misunderstanding guys. No biggie :baiting:

The good news is the Clink Focused Auction results are now in the GPA system and many titles and keys have "Green Up Arrows" next to them when I just checked :golfclap:

It appears this thread and the comments made by many helped convince George to go ahead and include it. I did not expect this to happen honestly... or I would not have spent so much time recording the last auction results in particular.

doh!

Although I'm thrilled with the end result (for myself and the market in general)... I was truly hoping Josh would come on board willingly and help GPA include the general listing sales too and assist in identifying non-sales.

C'mon Josh... so many of us who own CGC books would appreciate it :foryou:

You paid no attention to the context of my post -- here, this is the quote I was responding to, since you appear to have ignored it the first time:

Can you pressent the proof That the CL sales prices are any more reliable than any auction site?

And the answer to that question is that no, he can`t.

GPA can NOT present proof that CL "regular" sales prices are any more reliable than any auction site. Because in fact they are LESS reliable than an auction site. Therefore they`re not going to include the CL "regular" sales prices in their sales data, only the CL auction sales prices.

Im missing the part that explains why, after all these years, GPA suddenly feels brave and bold enough to go ahead and mine CL auction data.... Is there some indication that Josh has approved this change in plans? Or has GPA just decided "what the fack why not?"

My guess is that CL`s auctions have become such a big part of the market that GPA can`t not include them anymore.

Essentailly that what it comes down to... so much influencial market movement is going through their auctions these days, it would be frankly negligent to ignore their results from GPA's perspective.

Their results simply are only telling half the story right now!

Even with Josh not coming to the party, the auction results need including without a doubt!

(thumbs u :foryou:

Im missing the part that explains why, after all these years, GPA suddenly feels brave and bold enough to go ahead and mine CL auction data.... Is there some indication that Josh has approved this change in plans? Or has GPA just decided "what the fack why not?"

Ditto, George can we have a response to this please.

Also assuming there is the introduction of Clink auction result, will you be including previous auction results?

And if so, how far back are you intending to go?

Thanks.

They are 14 hours ahead and he's probably sleeping now I'd imagine.

George will answer himself, but I "believe" the answer is this...

It's my understanding that this was the first time Clink posted the results of its Focused Auction for easy data capture via a -script. I don't believe they did in the past as I could only ever access info from my own bids (unless I was doing something wrong). That's why I bid on over 300+ items this time so I could record even more after the auction ended.

Is this correct?

Could anybody ever access post auction results they did not bid on?

Maybe this was done NOW to capitalize on the "obvious" auction successes and/or also due to fatpinko's assertion that is NY law to have to do so.

I suppose the pressure applied by his customers and the potential backlash was too great as well when it became obvious the data "could" be collected with our without cooperation.

I suppose the pressure applied by his customers and the potential backlash was too great as well when it became obvious the data "could" be collected with our without cooperation.

Seems to me the pressure should be applied on Comiclink and other sites that don`t participate in GPA, rather than GPA. (shrug)

If the customers of CL were as vociferous in pressuring them to provide their data to GPA as they`ve been in this thread about GPA including data from those sites, maybe CL would already be doing so.

Seems to me the pressure should be applied on Comiclink and other sites that don`t participate in GPA, rather than GPA. (shrug)

If the customers of CL were as vociferous in pressuring them to provide their data to GPA as they`ve been in this thread about GPA including data from those sites, maybe CL would already be doing so.

I agree with you there... I've hinted many times in many threads that subscribers should consider emailing Josh and share their thoughts on the matter... I did. :grin:

Customers wishes are obviously an important concern to any wise businessman.

Edited by BronzeBruce13

Have you ever personally dealt with Josh :roflmao:

George has my sympathies on this particular bug-bear. Josh see's this some kind of potential revenue stream, and wants his palm greased for the pleasure of providing a full market service all the other dealers do as a matter of course.

When you sell, and you establish a new market bench market, having your consignment site negate this is detrimental.

When I expect, and need new benchmarks set... Pedigree gets my business, when it's irrelevant or inconsequential, Clink get's it.

Josh is paying already from where I'm standing lol

When you sell, and you establish a new market bench market, having your consignment site negate this is detrimental.

When I expect, and need new benchmarks set... Pedigree gets my business, when it's irrelevant or inconsequential, Clink get's it.

Agreed, the lack of cooperation with GPA is the main reason I prefer to buy and sell on Pedigree, PARTICULARLY buying. If I shell out a high dollar amount for a rare book, I want that sale to go into GPA to increase the future liquidity and establish a price point. The rarer the book, the more important it is that it go into a sales history.

Have you ever personally dealt with Josh :roflmao:

George has my sympathies on this particular bug-bear. Josh see's this some kind of potential revenue stream, and wants his palm greased for the pleasure of providing a full market service all the other dealers do as a matter of course.

Yes... and although we've had some "rough periods" no doubt, I think its clear he's a pretty savvy businessman and would respond to customer concerns if they were presented to him in significant enough numbers and if there was potential to upset/lose customers.

I recently emailed him when I hit another BIN and "lost again" (eventually) and "passionately detailed" why I was unhappy and thought his system really needed to be changed to allow for an immediate "sale pending" indication when a BIN was hit... like PedigreeComics does. He sent back a polite email saying he appreciated my input and was going to reevaluate this concern.

As for the "grease"... you'd have to ask George, but I'm not aware that he's even "hinted" at getting his palm greased in any way. I have to believe there is more than enough grease already in his hands that it would not be a huge priority to explore.

I agree with your "benchmark" statement, but believe it's probably more relevant a concern to the buyer of a record high items... unless the seller had multiples of the item

Agreed, the lack of cooperation with GPA is the main reason I prefer to buy and sell on Pedigree, PARTICULARLY buying. If I shell out a high dollar amount for a rare book, I want that sale to go into GPA to increase the future liquidity and establish a price point. The rarer the book, the more important it is that it go into a sales history.

...I made that very point in several varying scenarios to him recently. I mentioned I was surprised he did not receive more pressure from his buyers to validate their higher-end and aggressive purchases to cement current perceived values as well as future resale potential.

Edited by BronzeBruce13

I recently emailed him when I hit another BIN and "lost again" (eventually) and "passionately detailed" why I was unhappy and thought his system really needed to be changed to allow for an immediate "sale pending" indication when a BIN was hit... like PedigreeComics does. He sent back a polite email saying he appreciated my input and was going to reevaluate this concern.

I got bad news for ya, Bruce, I think that`s basically Josh`s polite way of saying "NFW". I unloaded on him a couple of years ago for the same thing, and even made him cancel some bids that I had in an auction to express my unhappiness with CL and make him feel some economic pain, and as you can tell, it changed nothing given that the same thing recently happened to you.

I agree with your "benchmark" statement, but believe it's probably more relevant a concern to the buyer of a record high items... unless the seller had multiples of the item

Yes that is usually the case, and additionaly if one book in a run sells for a particular amount it can, and often does impact other books within a run.

(please no iterations of various scenario's, yes everyone know's they exist)-not to you BB. (thumbs u

And this is true from a buying and selling perspective. Though again there are reasons why you might not want a result included in GPA. If you've bought a book for a veritable steal off clink, having the sale published, can be detrimental if your looking to sell it sometime in the future.

There are advantages to Josh's laxity.

Edited by brasseye

I got bad news for ya, Bruce, I think that`s basically Josh`s polite way of saying "NFW". I unloaded on him a couple of years ago for the same thing, and even made him cancel some bids that I had in an auction to express my unhappiness with CL and make him feel some economic pain, and as you can tell, it changed nothing given that the same thing recently happened to you.

Maybe so, but I got the impression he was "really" going to give it some serious though this time. I made a few good points I think. I realize I'm probably more naive than most in these interactions, but let's see what happens.