• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's time for GPA to start reporting Comiclink Focused Auction results
1 1

217 posts in this topic

Bronze Bruce has confirmed what i saw this am, that the FF#1 which sold at auction on Clink (had an end date and therefore is "sold") for $15K+ is on GPA's database today... :acclaim:

But what the hell drove this book to grab DOUBLE the price of the highest price in all of 2007??

Stop the insanity!!!! ......or not :devil:

I suppose the pressure applied by his customers and the potential backlash was too great as well when it became obvious the data "could" be collected with our without cooperation.

Seems to me the pressure should be applied on Comiclink and other sites that don`t participate in GPA, rather than GPA. (shrug)

If the customers of CL were as vociferous in pressuring them to provide their data to GPA as they`ve been in this thread about GPA including data from those sites, maybe CL would already be doing so.

Why would anyone want to give info to someone else so they can make money off it :screwy:

Josh gets more than his fair share of free press on his ending prices without GPA. Maybe GPA should offer to pay for the inofrmation? :insane:

The question is, would you guys be happy that only some of CL's results are included (auction style) and not others (consignment style).

George.

Yes. The more results and data, the better.

As long as it's not "select" data, like only the higher-dollar GPA-breaking sales, and you can include 100% of the entire auction's data, then sure.

If CL does any kind of data parsing or auction hiding, then skip the entire thing.

Why would anyone want to give info to someone else so they can make money off it :screwy:

Josh gets more than his fair share of free press on his ending prices without GPA. Maybe GPA should offer to pay for the inofrmation? :insane:

lol, sounds like you have a serious beef with Overstreet as well. lol

Any smart businessman realizes that recognized price guides like OS and GPA provide buyers with a blanket of security and it's in their best interest to keep the data flowing.

To me, it seems like Josh and CL are reaping the benefits of GPA, while promoting GPA-breaking sales, but without footing their share of the data bill.

To me, it seems like Josh and CL are reaping the benefits of GPA, while promoting GPA-breaking sales, but without footing their share of the data bill.

Which in my mind is a pretty good way to go. GPA makes money off selling the data so again, why give them he info for free when it has intrinsic value.

As a side note, comicartfan.com gives out their market analysis data for free now, which is pretty nice from an end user point of view.

Not directed at anyone...

1. What do you think the CGC Comic Market would be like right now if the GPA service was never created?

2. What if the the best info you could get on CGC Sales (if you did not spend considerable time and effort tracking it manually yourself) was CPG's formulaic online data (for free) and/or Wizards monthly printed data ($4-$5 a month... and compare that to what you pay for a 24/7, at your fingertip service)?

3. With that in mind, If you own CGC Slabs do you think the value of your collection would be worth more or less right now?

4. How "comfortable" would you be owning a significant amount of valuable CGC books without such a service to quantify the market?

5. How comfortable would you be spending money in the CGC end of the hobby... especially now during an economic downturn?

6. How comfortable would potential "new" collectors/investors/speculators be spending money in the CGC end of the hobby (almost 9 years old) without any reliable tool providing them with an in-depth market performance history to reference?

7. Is it possible that GPA's existence has had "something to do" with the market correcting "gradually" over the years... instead of a potentially more destructive crash?

8. Shouldn't we all (CGC Collectors and Sellers) be kissing GPA's arse for coming along when they did, doing an excellent job, and playing a crucial role in this end of the hobby?

rantrant

I think many people take for granted the numerous benefits GPA provides to the CGC end of the market.

Bruce, put down the pom poms.

You don't think that CGC sellers wouldn't see or figure out the multiples to price books at? It still comes down to negotiation to come to the final selling price. When both parties agree the deal is done.

I think that GPA is sometimes used as a crutch by inexperienced sellers.

I didn't have GPA when I sold my collection.

I have no problem buying books without having GPA to fall back on.

I don't have to kiss George's Arzzz in order to continue selling my CGC books.

Bob, you're a different animal. Some people just don't know what a book is worth.

For the average person who wants to collect big books it's invaluable. Otherwise, how does a person know he's paying or getting near "FMV" value for a book?

For those of us who live in our comics, it's a little less valuable but still much appreciated and a welcome crutch.

R.

But as I said, the 1600+ sales that just occurred through their (CL's) latest auction are ready to include if we choose to do so. The question is, would you guys be happy that only some of CL's results are included (auction style) and not others (consignment style).

George.

Why would you not report ALL of the info your company collected, even if that info is incomplete. The consignments are usually only reinforcing results that have already been achieved elsewhere like ebay, since the best stuff does NOT go on consignment in general.

Whereas the focused auction results show books that are rarely sold, and have not had any update in your database since 2002 (i.e. golden age sales)

But but but...you usually distinguish yourself as a DEALER! Not just a flipper, or just a collector. How can you compare yourself to the rest of us -- we can't hope to match the savvy of a DEALER! :baiting:

The good news is the Clink Focused Auction results are now in the GPA system and many titles and keys have "Green Up Arrows" next to them when I just checked :golfclap:

It appears this thread and the comments made by many helped convince George to go ahead and include it.

I started the thread so you can all thank me now. :hi:

Donations of your comics to me as thanks will be accepted. :jokealert:

The consignments are usually only reinforcing results that have already been achieved elsewhere like ebay, since the best stuff does NOT go on consignment in general.

Actually that's not true. I've sold books for multiples of GPA in their consignment section and I have never used a Comiclink auction. Every time I've sold a book it was a book with NO relative sales data on GPA (ie. nothing in that particular grade or the data was very old) or elsewhere and the sale price always exceeded my expectations. Both sets of data are just as valuable. One is just easier to work with.

(thumbs u

I recently emailed him when I hit another BIN and "lost again" (eventually) and "passionately detailed" why I was unhappy and thought his system really needed to be changed to allow for an immediate "sale pending" indication when a BIN was hit... like PedigreeComics does. He sent back a polite email saying he appreciated my input and was going to reevaluate this concern.

I got bad news for ya, Bruce, I think that`s basically Josh`s polite way of saying "NFW". I unloaded on him a couple of years ago for the same thing, and even made him cancel some bids that I had in an auction to express my unhappiness with CL and make him feel some economic pain, and as you can tell, it changed nothing given that the same thing recently happened to you.

Maybe so, but I got the impression he was "really" going to give it some serious though this time. I made a few good points I think. I realize I'm probably more naive than most in these interactions, but let's see what happens.

I've had a similar conversation with Josh about the lack of a "sales pending" notation when someone hits a BIN. It was at least a year ago. And while he was very polite about it and said he'd give it some serious consideration, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it. The way it stands now, Josh has a great way to cherry pick books and bargains. It's certainly not putting the customer first and he risks ticking off some potential buyers. But for Josh, I'd guess the current system's advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

Bruce, put down the pom poms.

You don't think that CGC sellers wouldn't see or figure out the multiples to price books at? It still comes down to negotiation to come to the final selling price. When both parties agree the deal is done.

Dear Bob,

I'll gladly put my pom poms down the day you get over your various "collector-envy" issues your so readily harp on time... and time... and time again.

:foryou:

For the record...

We all know there are exceptions to the level of "need" some people have of GPA... particularly a rare "super-special, trend-setting" guy like yourself. Please :wishluck: continue to remind us anytime there is an opportunity of how "capable" you are of functioning on your own experiences and intellect (insert unavailable "self-back-patting" graemlin). We get it... good for you... and the guarded trade secrets you've developed. I'm OK with it and glad you are successful.

Getting back to reality (if you can stop trolling me and busting my ballz for a moment of clarity) I think it's fairly obvious I was speaking in general... to the masses... not "special" cases like you.

You're a great dealer Bob... I mean that. I consider you in the top 3. You're hard-working, honest and reasonable enough (in a deal anyway). That said, get over your hostility for those that are not "officially" dealers and do OK in the hobby as well. Not all of us fall into this deceptive, "Bob-screwing" category that you whine about so often.

Every buying opportunity and advantage does not belong to you because you're "officially" a dealer and shout it from the mountain tops. You don't have a right to them all even though you are special. It's well-known that you're doing just fine with your efforts in the hobby... no need to be bitter and begrudge "collector-dealers" or your preference... "DEALERS-who all hide behind being collectors to screw Bob over" for their successes too.

GPA , despite your direct lack of need of the service, has helped all CGC collectors and the market overall (which was my point) and also has helped "line your pockets" as well. If you can't see that, then maybe I'm giving you too much credit.

Now get off my back and go relieve some of your stress somewhere else... or participate constructively. We all KNOW already... for the last time... you don't need or rely on GPA.

I recently emailed him when I hit another BIN and "lost again" (eventually) and "passionately detailed" why I was unhappy and thought his system really needed to be changed to allow for an immediate "sale pending" indication when a BIN was hit... like PedigreeComics does. He sent back a polite email saying he appreciated my input and was going to reevaluate this concern.

I got bad news for ya, Bruce, I think that`s basically Josh`s polite way of saying "NFW". I unloaded on him a couple of years ago for the same thing, and even made him cancel some bids that I had in an auction to express my unhappiness with CL and make him feel some economic pain, and as you can tell, it changed nothing given that the same thing recently happened to you.

Maybe so, but I got the impression he was "really" going to give it some serious though this time. I made a few good points I think. I realize I'm probably more naive than most in these interactions, but let's see what happens.

I've had a similar conversation with Josh about the lack of a "sales pending" notation when someone hits a BIN. It was at least a year ago. And while he was very polite about it and said he'd give it some serious consideration, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it. The way it stands now, Josh has a great way to cherry pick books and bargains. It's certainly not putting the customer first and he risks ticking off some potential buyers. But for Josh, I'd guess the current system's advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

hm:sorry:

Do NOT ever tell me how to post Bruce.

Then do NOT ever tell me "when or how" I should pick up or put down my *spooning* proverbial pom poms Bob... make your point without starting on the wrong foot with lame opening remarks.

I'll take up whatever *spooning* issue I *spooning* want without your approval. Or... does the same set of expectations you have on how you're to be treated NOT *spooning* apply to you when you address others you grumpy *spoon*?

I realize I rub you the wrong way... but that logic seems a little :screwy: