• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's time for GPA to start reporting Comiclink Focused Auction results
1 1

217 posts in this topic

Here are a few ways I currently use GPA:

1.) If I decide to sell a somewhat common X-Men book in CGC 9.4 condition on ComicLink, GPA is definitely a useful tool to have. For instance, let's say 20 sales have been recorded over the past 2 years, and the average sale is around $200. However, the maximum selling price is only $250. This data tells me that I'll probably have to price my book close to that value if I expect to sell it within a few weeks. On the other hand, if on 4 different occassions someone has paid over $400 for that issue, then I know I can price it more aggressively. What I mean is that given the right conditions, and depending on how badly the buyer wants the book, it could go for that much. This approach has worked for me in the past.

2.) As others have mentioned, I do use GPA as a census check for the book's availablity within the market place. For instance, I'm currently looking for a CGC 9.4 (and above) copy of Supergirl #10 to complete by run. There are 9 or 10 books within the census that fit this criteria. However, the last sale was almost 3 years ago. What this data tells me is that if I've been waiting for a couple of years to purchase a copy, then chances are that there are others. This data will dictate how much I bid if the book came up for sale, vs. lowering my offer if it was available once a month. I just know the competition will be stiffer if a particular issue has not shown up in the marketplace for awhile.

3.) Since I'm mainly purchasing GA books these days, I tend to run across a lot of pedigrees. GPA's pedigree designation helps me find out what that particular issue sold for a few years back, whether there have been enhancements performed on the book to raise the grade, and/or whether the seller has deslabbed the book and is now selling it raw, but at a higher grade (still with the pedigree designation). All this information is important, especially for a pedigree book.

Here are a few ways I currently use GPA:

1.) If I decide to sell a somewhat common X-Men book in CGC 9.4 condition on ComicLink, GPA is definitely a useful tool to have. For instance, let's say 20 sales have been recorded over the past 2 years, and the average sale is around $200. However, the maximum selling price is only $250. This data tells me that I'll probably have to price my book close to that value if I expect to sell it within a few weeks. On the other hand, if on 4 different occasions someone has paid over $400 for that issue, then I know I can price it more aggressively. What I mean is that given the right conditions, and depending on how badly the buyer wants the book, it could go for that much. This approach has worked for me in the past.

2.) As others have mentioned, I do use GPA as a census check for the book's availability within the market place. For instance, I'm currently looking for a CGC 9.4 (and above) copy of Supergirl #10 to complete by run. There are 9 or 10 books within the census that fit this criteria. However, the last sale was almost 3 years ago. What this data tells me is that if I've been waiting for a couple of years to purchase a copy, then chances are that there are others. This data will dictate how much I bid if the book came up for sale, vs. lowering my offer if it was available once a month. I just know the competition will be stiffer if a particular issue has not shown up in the marketplace for awhile.

3.) Since I'm mainly purchasing GA books these days, I tend to run across a lot of pedigrees. GPA's pedigree designation helps me find out what that particular issue sold for a few years back, whether there have been enhancements performed on the book to raise the grade, and/or whether the seller has deslabbed the book and is now selling it raw, but at a higher grade (still with the pedigree designation). All this information is important, especially for a pedigree book.

Excellent post...

In point (1) you perfectly describe how sellers can use data to most efficiently form a sales strategy that fits their needs. In that case, if you needed or wanted cash quick, you know what price point the book will move relatively quick at. If you have time on your side and/or a particularly nice example (ex: white pages, perfect centering) you can price at the high end of historic sales and wait for a buyer who is more aggressive and/or is more selective.

This same data could assist the buyer in the same way whether any copy would suffice at the "average" or if they are provided with security buying at the "top end" for a stellar example.

In point (2) you also outline a situation where a savvy collector who wants an item "will not blindly cling to the last sale price" of a thinly traded item and instead use the information to intelligently predict and prepare a new "buy price" strategy to obtain the item should it become available. The data provides the opportunity to factor in "market availability" which is sometimes far different than "census population".

Just FYI to all you people in negotiating with Bob: I've done many deals with Bob and at times have quoted GPA... it's certainly been a factor he's considered when I offered or counter offered at a book. It's all about having a reasonable discussion with the dealer and not going in and saying, well GPA says (x) and I'm not paying $50 over that and clutching it like a price can't be above or below it. There are actually collectors who do this, and I think it gets on some people's nerves.

I don't even do that with Bob. I gave him a number on each of three books I wanted to pay without trying to justify my side and let him chew on that without all the hyperbole or drama. He's got a life, I've got a life and we don't need to stress out one another. If we all treated GPA a little more like OS, meaning being more flexible, then people wouldn't step on toes as much.

The point is that GPA could manually track the data on ComicLink, if they wanted to track it. I would not classify it as unsubstantiated data. It is as reliable as any of their other data sources. Sure, it would labor intensive and maybe that is where the problem truly lies.

This is true. As a pay-service, shouldn't the burden of obtaining the CL sales data be on GPA? I try to track sales of key books from CL, but also pay GPA for incomplete data. If they pay me, I'll track the auction sales. I'm here whenever you're ready, George.

Am I missing something

Yes, you missed the post in this very thread where George said he was going to start including ComicLink auctions in GPA starting with the last one that completed.

Gotcha, thanks for the info.

Am I missing something

Yes, you missed the post in this very thread where George said he was going to start including ComicLink auctions in GPA starting with the last one that completed.

so can i now offer my ASM #24 9.4 for $5k as below last GPA even tho there's one sitting on clink for $2700? some of the clink auction prices were so outlandish i'm not sure if this is more harm than good. avengers #9 cgc 9.2 anyone?

Why not?

Follow that with a couple of threads proclaiming "Why are Silver age Marvel prices soooo high?"

We all wanna be that buyer who gets in low right before the spike in prices.

Is that what GPA is going to mean going forward?

Gonna Pay Alot

As a pay-service, shouldn't the burden of obtaining the CL sales data be on GPA? I try to track sales of key books from CL, but also pay GPA for incomplete data.

No, you're paying GPA for the data from the sources that they say they track. :gossip:

If GPA had represented to you that they tracked EVERY transaction, or even every transaction from EVERY major comic book site, then you would be right. But I'm pretty sure they've never made that representation.

Am I missing something

so can i now offer my ASM #24 9.4 for $5k as below last GPA even tho there's one sitting on clink for $2700? some of the clink auction prices were so outlandish i'm not sure if this is more harm than good. avengers #9 cgc 9.2 anyone?

Holy ...I just saw this book for sale on CL !!! Did I miss the memo when Wonderman overtook Cap in popularity? Since when is an Avengers #9, worth considerably more than Avengers #4?

Jim

Am I missing something

Holy ...I just saw this book for sale on CL !!! Did I miss the memo when Wonderman overtook Cap in popularity? Since when is an Avengers #9, worth considerably more than Avengers #4?

Jim

well, $7500 is just an asking price. lunacy comes out of the woodwork after the most recent auction "sale" at $5600

I think the CGC Registry has to be responsible for some of the really high, hard-to-figure sales. Especially when the next copy sells for much less.

As someone nears completion of a significant set... or is in a "tight battle" with a rival for 1st position they can get lost in the game. Anything can happen when a buyer "needs" to fill a registry set gap.

Am I missing something because it looks like THIS ComicLink auction is represented in the GPA.

mq686.jpg

2yttamu.jpg

Above is a post I made months ago showing ComicLink sales were being shown in GPA.

This screenshot is from today. The 2008 ComicLink sale seemed to disappear. What gives?

vomwxd.jpg

We should all email C-Link and ask him why comic link is not associated with gpa? What do you guys think??

Well, we could, but we already know why Josh won't report.

He only wants to report specific sales, but not everything. New GPA highs are fine, books that tank are not. (thumbs u