• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Invincible Appreciation Thread
5 5

3,489 posts in this topic

It's only worth what someone is willing to pay. I'd value a #1 9.8 around $500.

It will . It's not readily available like Chew #1's and The Walking Dead #1's

It's only worth what someone is willing to pay. I'd value a #1 9.8 around $500.

That definitely goes without saying.

The point is, there is a market price, and a 'I must have one at any price' price. All of my actual data points to ~ $500 being way over the "best known" market rate, which is why I wanted to double check and see if GPA was just not trustworthy on this book.

I'm interested to see what others say - thanks for chiming in!

To be fair you did kinda piggyback off of BChin22 's WTB Thread. I sold him the only one I was offering at the time for $425 shipped. The $400 was fair but there's apparently a demand for this book and I'm setting my prices high.

Chances are the #1 that I have listed on eBay will sell to an international buyer as there's been interest outside the US. I've been selling runs and individual issues to Spain , Canada , Germany and ECT. I'd know, as I've probably sold as much Invincible back issues as MCS.

I have no problem at all with the price any seller sets for their goods - this wasn't meant as a critique of you in any way shape or form. I hope I made that clear in my original post.

I'm mostly trying to figure out what people have really paid for this book as GPA hasn't been of much help.

Also, keep in mind you'll be paying about $68 in eBay fees, and I'm still looking for one, so if you want to do the math and have a talk PM me :baiting:

Would you place higher value on regular cover of similar quality?

I personally rank the trade covers higher. They are sold forever and usually feature much more detail than almost any regular cover. Regular covers are on shelves for sale for one month, tpb's are always on sale. Also this is the only Mark and Eve together trade cover so far, and there is a good selling Mark and Eve market.

Edited by Invincifans

I value single issues covers higher the trades. That's just me though.

Agree

Ditto.

Easy for you to say Tyler, you're getting buried with the best Mark and Eve cover. I'd rate 58 over the TPB cover, but I'd rate certain trade covers over a lot of single issue covers. This cover sold for less than the Dinosaurus solo cover. I'd rate a cover with a happy Mark and Eve, and Nolan and Debbie over that.

Edited to add that Tyler also has the second best Mark and Eve cover..... Forgot about that part, and also probably figure that you'll end up getting the #118 cover. So you'll have three of the probably 5 best covers with them.

Edited by Invincifans

I agree with Simplyrob. I too have been hunting one down recently. I picked mine up raw at $280.00 CGC'ed it and got a 9.8

I think GPA is an alright tool. But, as you ponited out it is not able to collect every single sale. So, people who think the book should be $400.00 because of GPA need to realize that if every copy was sold at $400 how would the book ever go up in value?

Just my two cents...which in Canada if rounded down means Zero Cents :)

I agree with Simplyrob. I too have been hunting one down recently. I picked mine up raw at $280.00 CGC'ed it and got a 9.8

I think GPA is an alright tool. But, as you ponited out it is not able to collect every single sale. So, people who think the book should be $400.00 because of GPA need to realize that if every copy was sold at $400 how would the book ever go up in value?

Just my two cents...which in Canada if rounded down means Zero Cents :)

Grats on finding yours!

As for how books go up in value, they typically don't spike in value without a reason. As I'd stated, GPA had a solid 10 books per year over the last two years, so I figured they had a decent sampling size considering there are only around 125 of these in existence.

Anyway, I'll wait until after the American tax season is over and go from there! :)

As for how books go up in value, they typically don't spike in value without a reason. As I'd stated, GPA had a solid 10 books per year over the last two years, so I figured they had a decent sampling size considering there are only around 125 of these in existence.

Anyway, I'll wait until after the American tax season is over and go from there! :)

That's likely a good plan. It's a book that has been on a slow, steady rise but can still be found at a more reasonable price with patience.

Personally, I bought my slabbed 9.8 a few years ago and was willing to pay over the average (the average I noticed, no clue on gpa) for a clean copy without any hint of a bindery tear or ncb spine ticks. I have a few raw copies, one of which is an easy 9.8, but wanted a slab too.

While I'm always considering selling off my TWDs, Chews, etc., the Invincibles are books that will be passed on to my son along with the ASM collection and a few other books like Saga. I'm sure there are others with my same line of thinking explaining the steady rise on the book. So although you can get a better deal with patience, I'd think it's better to buy a copy sooner rather than 10 years down the line. I was waiting it out for a bit, but the prices kept creeping up. Glad I bought it though because now, I'd be paying no less than an extra hundred for it today and likely more like an extra $200.

I value single issues covers higher the trades. That's just me though.

Agree

Ditto.

Easy for you to say Tyler, you're getting buried with the best Mark and Eve cover. I'd rate 58 over the TPB cover, but I'd rate certain trade covers over a lot of single issue covers. This cover sold for less than the Dinosaurus solo cover. I'd rate a cover with a happy Mark and Eve, and Nolan and Debbie over that.

Edited to add that Tyler also has the second best Mark and Eve cover..... Forgot about that part, and also probably figure that you'll end up getting the #118 cover. So you'll have three of the probably 5 best covers with them.

Allow me to chime in...

Ryan's art work on the TPB covers is sick! I think that is what makes the covers valuable. On most, if not all, TPB covers you get a full scale image of Mark/Invincible with a couple more characters scattered in the background. Great! Awesome! Clearly collectable and valuable! The best thing a TPB cover has going for it versus a splash page, like most covers, is the art work is "cover quality" and its a "cover"! <- If that makes sense. In other comic series the TPB cover vs single cover argument would easily go to the single covers but with Ryan and the Invincible TPB cover's the argument is a little more tuff to find a right or wrong answer. Some single issue covers are more simple that the TPB covers, adding more fuel to the fire. I think anyone that is has the OA to any cover is lucky. Cover's are the top of the food chain for OA collectors and in general, if you ask any OR collector he would tell you single issue covers have more "collectable value" than TPB covers. But again, I will say this might not be the case with Ryan Ottley and Invincible... I think it is more of an even race in this case.

My personal opinion is that single issue covers for the more part are more collectable and valuable. A single issue cover that is tied to a major event, character first appearance, or character death is something a TPB can never claim.

On another note.... I recently bought my first Invincible cover from Ryan's website. I bought #39. WOOT WOOT! I could have bought a TPB cover with multiple characters but my thinking was... this is an EARLY single issue cover. Versus buying a more recent cover or more recent TPB cover... I put more weight on that older item. AND the space ship took Ryan 4 days to draw and is FREAKING AWESOME!