• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Musty Smell Comics?

26 posts in this topic

Thanks, I think I'll try out the trim the edges because it contains most of the smell method. :roflmao:

Actually, there are some interesting tips. I'm not sure about the freezer..this one seems like you could ruin the book...the baking soda suspended idea looks promising.

Well, there's the pleasant musty aroma of old newsprint and then there's the acrid smell of comics left in a damp environment for years.

It's one of my least favorite defects - I admit I don't put such items in the same box as other books 'cause of the odor.

Well, there's the pleasant musty aroma of old newsprint and then there's the acrid smell of comics left in a damp environment for years.

It's one of my least favorite defects - I admit I don't put such items in the same box as other books 'cause of the odor.

Like wine, they each have their own aroma. However, I have found a few offensive smelling comics. Their is an infamous "cat-" smelling book in our group of collectors. And Matt Nelson once owned a ragged Adventure 40 that was the worst smelling comic of all time. It literally would make you gag.

... and mould spores will migrate (and never die!). :eek:

That smell is what takes me back to the glorious days of my young comic collecting carreer.....ahhhhhhhh.....that smell......can't find it anywhere but old comics.......

I like that smell. Wish I could add it to my books that don't have it

:applause:

I would do the same to my new books as well as my comic books.

My boys came into my comic book with me the other day, and both commented on how great it smelled. One of them said, "This smells like a man".

Hehe.

the major reason why I buy tradepaperbacks, essentials, showcases and Omnibuses. I cannot stand the smell of old 1970`s and 1980`s moldy musty comics.

the major reason why I buy moldy musty comics. . I cannot stand the smell of old essentials, showcases and Omnibuses.

:grin:

And Bill, if you store some musty comics with your non musty's, that sweet, sweet smell will rub off ;) The baking soda method has worked well for a friend of mine when he's cleaning up his personal collection.

My boys came into my comic book with me the other day, and both commented on how great it smelled. One of them said, "This smells like a man".

Hehe.

Hahahahahaha..........what did Art Linkletter used to say....? Kids say the darndest thing.....something like that. Thats pretty cool....but now the question is......

what kind of man......

Superman

Batman

Plastic Man

SpiderMan

Sandman

Man Thing

Man Wolf

Ultra Man

Iron Man

Ant Man

Giant Man

HourMan

WonderWo-MAN ? ............ :sumo:

I like that smell. Wish I could add it to my books that don't have it

I love it too.

When I was a kid, my parent's owned a summer cottage about an hour away from where we lived and I kept some comics there. The whole cottage had that musty smell and the comics naturally absorbed it.

Whenever I get a whiff of that smell, it takes me back to those innocent summer days, reading comics. tromping through the woods, collecting spent shell casings and whole clay pidgeons (the nearby quarry was used by folks for target and skeet shooting), and not having a care in the world. :cloud9:

Hahahahahaha..........what did Art Linkletter used to say....? Kids say the darndest thing.....something like that. Thats pretty cool....but now the question is......

yeah, I wasn't sure if I communicated well the moment that the boys had, but you got it. It was such a fun moment for them and was neat for me too. The way kids make connections in their brains is amazing to me.

And I'm thinking Thing-Spider with a touch of Ultra. :insane:

That smell takes me right back to an old comic book shop I visited frequently 20 years ago. I had just discovered comic book collecting and there were heaps and heaps of comics, from ground to floor, packed in shelves, some of them hard to find under lots of other rubble... there were tons of adventures waiting to be explored. Who needs drugs when you can get such a kick from sniffing comics?