• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ADAM HUGHES GALLERY
13 13

1,302 posts in this topic

On 2/25/2022 at 6:18 PM, OtherEric said:

I should try and stitch together scans of the whole covers on those, they're wraparound.  I could get about 80% of the image to fit on my scanner, the image only covers half the back cover.

And of course he's doing the Dave thing, since Stevens did the original Stargrazers cover:

Stargrazers_1a.jpg

Vanguard_2.jpg

Yes! I was too lazy to pull my copies out and scan the backs, but they’re lovely. And yes, there’s a lot of Dave in Adam’s early work for sure, the Stargrazers connection definitely underlined that. Eventually he moved into more of a Drew Struzan thing, with some Kevin Nowlan and Steve Rude thrown in for good measure, and ultimately made that stew into his own style. But my heart belongs to that late 80’s/early 90’s vibe.

On 2/25/2022 at 4:29 PM, F For Fake said:

Yes! I was too lazy to pull my copies out and scan the backs, but they’re lovely. And yes, there’s a lot of Dave in Adam’s early work for sure, the Stargrazers connection definitely underlined that. Eventually he moved into more of a Drew Struzan thing, with some Kevin Nowlan and Steve Rude thrown in for good measure, and ultimately made that stew into his own style. But my heart belongs to that late 80’s/early 90’s vibe.

Did Hughes & Stevens only ever do the one cover together?  Sadly, I don't think it's either of their best work...

DV8 1.jpg

On 2/26/2022 at 8:00 PM, Turtle said:

I posted this over 10 years ago, but the link is broken, so I'll repost.    This was from Mid-Ohio Comic Con 2010, I believe.  Back then, he'd take a list during the first 30 minutes of the show where he took your name and what your request was.  From that point on, he just picked from the list any that he felt like doing and would get through a small handful over the course of the show.  It was really down to luck if he did yours. 

My request was Gwen Stacy.  As it so happened, my girlfriend (now wife) was in costume as Gwen Stacy, which probably tipped the scales a bit.  Still in a nice frame on the wall of my comic room:

884207567_GwenStacybyAdamHugheswatermarked.thumb.jpg.2be82a57ac4fa600c7a6032cb19deabf.jpg

100_6329.thumb.JPG.c8b86c6d3580c8866e9adb4ebcdf7722.JPG

^^

On 2/27/2022 at 2:28 PM, Juno Beach said:

He must have liked the composition. It's gotta be the inspiration for this cover:

e9_548896_0_PeterParkerTheSpectacularSpide.jpg

Cool!  I hadn't seen that before, but you're probably right.  The concept is definitely the same, but he took it further.  Spidey's even on top of the infamous bridge...

Do you know what year this was from?  I'll probably need to get a raw copy for myself.  Thanks!

On 2/27/2022 at 4:31 PM, Turtle said:

Cool!  I hadn't seen that before, but you're probably right.  The concept is definitely the same, but he took it further.  Spidey's even on top of the infamous bridge...

Do you know what year this was from?  I'll probably need to get a raw copy for myself.  Thanks!

April, 2018. It would look great in a frame next to your commission