• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

will CA ever trump GA?

236 posts in this topic

Brainless, herd-like behavior like paying huge premiums on high-grade CA books drives me nuts.

:roflmao:

Now point me to the large group of people currently advocating a change to high-grade CA, and painting other eras as "common", "no challenge to collect" and "worthless". hm

Common: There are markets with known quantities and markets with unknown quantities in the collectible markets. To say something is "common" requires proof. Anyone that tells me a 9.8 Marvel Team-Up #43 is "common" needs to show me 100 more.

No Challenge to Collect: Financial challenge?, Challenging to find? The challenges are what you make them to be. I've never understood people that collect purely for the challenge of it. Where is the love?

Worthless: My most valuable comics are my beat-up TinTin's and some old Scrooge books. The market can go soak it's head if it calls the books I love worthless.

I collect for myself - not others.

Now as to CA's becoming worth more than GA's - forget it, not going to happen anytime soon.

Brainless, herd-like behavior like paying huge premiums on high-grade CA books drives me nuts.

:roflmao:

Now point me to the large group of people currently advocating a change to high-grade CA, and painting other eras as "common", "no challenge to collect" and "worthless". hm

These are all relative terms. Compared to GA they are not without some degree of merit.

That doesn't mean collecting CA is a waste of time or that the books are inherently worthless or that anyone who collects them is a dolt.

Just like it doesn't mean you have to be an "old fogey" to collect GA or that GA books are all moldy or that GA collectors are all trying to get people to switch to GA like we're in some clandestine operation to try and take over the collecting universe.

doh!

Oh yeah.... High-Grade CA's are WORTHLESS (to me).

I also don't think they will hold their value because of the reasons I outlined in my previous post.

They are CURRENTLY uncommon. - True.

Will they REMAIN uncommon? - place your bets and put YOUR money down. Mine's going into GA, and mid-grades.

Oh brother. You've got to be kidding. Is this really the shtick you've been going with for 6 years? The more you boast, the less believable you are.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

I must have a real hyperactive imagination to create this amazing life around me. And of course, you all think I'm a 3-foot, 800lb cripple with learning disabilities, an IQ of 13 and am currently living in my parent's basement under nurse's care. :insane:

Seriously, maybe I do come on here to blow off some steam - who knows? What I do know is that there is a sub-section of the population that really bugs me on a base level - like if I were to go to a Star Wars convention, I'd probably end up on CNN.

"Nerd threatens JC to lightsaber duel, 12 killed, 32 injured - more at 11"

That doesn't mean collecting CA is a waste of time or that the books are inherently worthless

That's NOT what many of your GA cronies are saying, and many on here have already admitted falling for the "nerd peer pressure" to switch to GA, so it's definitely there, clandestine or not.

I have had a blast (and still enjoy it, unlike apparently you with all of your bitterness and frustrations).

lol, you'd be so lucky to have my life, and contrary to popular belief, I only find myself being irritated on these boards.

Don't get me wrong, I like collecting comics and talking about them, but I absolutely detest brainless, herd-like behavior and it's quite common on sheep-heavy boards like this. I'm a wolf and don't associate with sheep in real-life, but there's no way around it on a public board.

http://www.pyrrha.org/pulp/

I have had a blast (and still enjoy it, unlike apparently you with all of your bitterness and frustrations).

lol, you'd be so lucky to have my life, and contrary to popular belief, I only find myself being irritated on these boards.

Don't get me wrong, I like collecting comics and talking about them, but I absolutely detest brainless, herd-like behavior and it's quite common on sheep-heavy boards like this. I'm a wolf and don't associate with sheep in real-life, but there's no way around it on a public board.

Couldn't agree more!

also agree, should be very interesting to learn in 5 to 10 years from now if people made wise decisions on high-grade CA books and modern age books.

That doesn't mean collecting CA is a waste of time or that the books are inherently worthless

That's NOT what many of your GA cronies are saying, and many on here have already admitted falling for the "nerd peer pressure" to switch to GA, so it's definitely there, clandestine or not.

I don't see one person admitting to Nerd Peer Pressure. I do see people admitting that GA better suits their collecting interest in their opinion than SA or BA or CA. If exposing someone to a new form is NPP in your mind then maybe you should be arguing that everyone should live in a box so they don't change their minds when they first get exposed to Bach or Michaelangelo.

WTF is a "wise decision" when it comes to a hobby? Does a comic HAVE to increase in value to make it worthwhile?

Are you all money-hungry investors, or is there anyone else out there who actually collects comic books they like?

It's :censored: like this that makes me want to pack up all my books and let you smartass speculators totally wreck the hobby - then I can jump back in and snag some prime books at firesale.

Um..... falling to peer pressure isn't limited to GA collecting.

The new, ULTIMATE PEER-PRESSURE is the growing trend to own the best graded copy of a book.

I think collecting CA is great. I like it so much I actually do it myself! However:

I'm not a sheep and I don't follow everyone else and try to buy 9.8's in an unknown, volatile market.

I'm not a wolf and try to trick others into thinking 9.8's are "rare" when the real answer is "we don't know yet". It hasn't been long enough, not enough has come to market, not enough has been graded.

I'm a FOX! I buy nice, key books in 7.0 to 9.0 that have characters and creators I admire.

200px-Phantom_Lady_17.jpg

Sorry Roy, nothing special about his style or the way he drew women (shrug)

I agree. Baker's style to me is only noteworthy because it holds up over time -- it was unique then because his skill in drawing women was superior to the other rubes drawing most comic books back then.

People revere him now simply because his name evokes a reaction, but when you actually see it, I find it pretty pedestrian.

You know I never paid any attention to this artist before. But I would have to say that this style artwork is a "Staple" in tattoo art. I find this cover to be very similar to Sailor Jerry artwork from the 20's which is still very very popular in the tattoo culture today. So I would actually have to say this style is still very popular, just not in comics.

Im surprised I never noticed this before.

WTF is a "wise decision" when it comes to a hobby? Does a comic HAVE to increase in value to make it worthwhile?

Are you all money-hungry investors, or is there anyone else out there who actually collects comic books they like?

It's :censored: like this that makes me want to pack up all my books and let you smartass speculators totally wreck the hobby - then I can jump back in and snag some prime books at firesale.

Good news! You won't have long to wait!

It happens every 10 years or so.

Meanwhile, collect what you like and can afford. Buy reprints and trades of what you can't afford. Enjoy reading the amazing stories and adventures that appeal to you from ALL eras of the comic world.

Open your mind - try reading some older material. Don't forget to buy your new comics today! And .. check the back-issues for that forgotten series that was actually pretty darn good.

Um..... falling to peer pressure isn't limited to GA collecting.

Agreed, but I just seem to see more of this "common", "worthless" and "no challenge to collect" BS from the GA cronies than from other groups.

Check it out, several GA fans have *already* voiced these sentiments in this very thread.

is it possible that someday Copper books will be worth more then GA or SA books?

if what some people say happens, that eventually comic collecting will have a major crash because essentially there won’t be anyone left that grew up collecting comic.

then is it fair to say that one day all the GA collector will be long gone while the kids that grew up during the CA will be at the fore front of the hobby?

no

But as stated previously, the CA market as a whole is likely larger than GA, and will only grow in the future. That's the important part, as increased growth and demand are the most important consideration to any hobby.

I don't think the question was ever about ASM 300 or New Mutants 87 being worth more than Action 1, as that's pure stupidity, but more of a potential "demographic shift" away from GA and into CA.

In that way, I agree that the Copper Age collector base and overall revenue will be larger than GA, and it probably is already.

JC, you continue to slay me... :insane:

I just jumped in here to offer my personal thanks for your continued one man effort in propping up our hobby - please don't leave... :foryou: