• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

will CA ever trump GA?

236 posts in this topic

What I do know is that there is a sub-section of the population that really bugs me on a base level - like if I were to go to a Star Wars convention, I'd probably end up on CNN.

I don't recall anyone twisting your arm to come on here, JC. You seem to spend more of your time basking in the glow of your own unique and exalted position as the Resident Non-Nerd on these boards than you do away from them. ;)

Um..... falling to peer pressure isn't limited to GA collecting.

Agreed, but I just seem to see more of this "common", "worthless" and "no challenge to collect" BS from the GA cronies that from other groups.

Check it out, several GA fans have *already* stated these sentiments in this very thread.

I hope you arent using me in these "quotes" if so, you are taking what I say out of context. GA has just as much worth as any era. Even the moderns you blast. You claim that you think it is ridiculous that people pay outrageous prices for moderns, then say collect what you like. The only thing other than being a hypocrite is that you maybe just like to instigate ? One or the other.

All books carry some worth. The worth is decided by the people who collect them. GA promotes a challenge being you cant go to a LCS, flip through some log boxes and decide which copy you want. Many collectors will spend years putting together runs simply because supply is low. And while some collect for monetary, others simply enjoy the hunt.

I also dont think that the GA are trying to convince people to collect Gold, but they do encourage it. And I would say that the GA section of the boards generally works together well to help each other find books. Its really a nice place over there.

I really dont care who collects what. I have friends that collect runs that I cant contemplate why they would actually pay money for what they buy, but they enjoy it. So good for them.

Um..... falling to peer pressure isn't limited to GA collecting.

Agreed, but I just seem to see more of this "common", "worthless" and "no challenge to collect" BS from the GA cronies than from other groups.

Check it out, several GA fans have *already* voiced these sentiments in this very thread.

Don't worry about it.

People always want to feel good about the decisions they make in life.

If I drive a Ford, then it's the best darn car around.

If I drive a Toyota, it's the best.

You have to separate fact from fiction. Collect what you like, but be cautious about the value set on something by others.

To be honest - GA prices are the result of a mature market. The values are more "real", but still subject to variance due to demand (Westerns/Romance are excellent examples)

CA prices are not stable and probably are over-inflated. This doesn't make them "worthless" - the proper term would be "risky". That's not a bad thing, but I would exercise caution when formally "collecting" this period. I prefer to READ the more modern books and COLLECT more GA books. In fact, most collectors by CGC books and don't read them in their original form anyhow. I read all my Ducks in reprints.

Don't let anyone rain on your parade, but also be careful have having a parade in the rain.

Or these...personally I have never seen more beautiful women in comics...ever...and he draws men really well too.

TAR.jpg

TrueLovePictorial11-1.jpg

TrueLovePictorial5.jpg

(thumbs u

Yes, these are actually better, but less well-known, examples of his talent for drawing women. They come off as real, whereas much of what I see in books today is not.

Of course some GA is pedestrian. Some also may look simplistic but, IMO, is great. A lot of it must be viewed in a historical context; comic art today benefits from what has been previously drawn. Plus the look and feel they are going for is quite different. In some ways comparing apples and oranges.

I just jumped in here to offer my personal thanks for your continued one man effort in propping up our hobby - please don't leave... :foryou:

Gimme a break, it's not about me, but a WHOLE BUNCH of me's (as in collectors not speculators or investors) getting tired of this BS and taking off.

Then all the money-hungry bean counters would be crying, I guarantee it.

What I do know is that there is a sub-section of the population that really bugs me on a base level - like if I were to go to a Star Wars convention, I'd probably end up on CNN.

I don't recall anyone twisting your arm to come on here, JC. You seem to spend more of your time basking in the glow of your own unique and exalted position as the Resident Non-Nerd on these boards than you do away from them. ;)

Dude. He is a nerd. End of.. I have read many of his posts, very nerd like. And he has to hide, leaving me to believe if I ever met him I would fall over laughing.

That being said, I have nothing against him. He does make some good posts here and there. But nerd to the fullest.

And he has to hide, leaving me to believe if I ever met him I would fall over laughing.

:signfunny:

Who's hiding? I've told everyone what I look like - 6'2" blonde hair, blue eyes, athletic, smart, funny, etc. If you ever met me, that's exactly what you'd get. (shrug)

Remember when I was in Montreal and decided to go to the Con and posted a PUBLIC MESSAGE asking anyone to meet me there. I wanted to put the rumors to rest, even though I have no overriding need to meet anyone or post pics for constant Photoshopping.

Not one reply, not a single one.

So STFU chicken arms. :banana:

I just jumped in here to offer my personal thanks for your continued one man effort in propping up our hobby - please don't leave... :foryou:

Gimme a break, it's not about me, but a WHOLE BUNCH of me's (as in collectors not speculators or investors) getting tired of this BS and taking off.

Not intending to be cruel, but they won't cry. They tend to slowly fade into the background and re-emerge from time to time in cycles. There are plenty more people waiting in the wings for them to create false markets for. (which they have a hard time doing with GA books - the false markets tend to be the new markets - which is why (Again!) GA = stable, CA = unstable.

Just collect the CA's you like at the price you are willing to pay.

I remember very well when Dark Knight #1 1st print was selling for $75. Sometimes you just have to have patience.

You are still very much in the minority here. I doubt that other CA collectors could give a rats azz about whatever perceived BS you're talking about. It's a totally separate strand of the market, and regardless of your whitterings about manipulation (i.e. what happened with MK) the casual collector doesn't just get sucked in that way.

I took many years to start truly appreciating GA. By the time I did I would've been in my early 30s, well before the existence of arbitrary peer groups like this one. I started getting into GA even though I had no friends or fellow collectors who were interested in that era.

And he has to hide, leaving me to believe if I ever met him I would fall over laughing.

:signfunny:

Who's hiding? I've told everyone what I look like - 6'2" blonde hair, blue eyes, athletic, smart, funny, etc. If you ever met me, that's exactly what you'd get. (shrug)

Remember when I was in Montreal and decided to go to the Con and posted a PUBLIC MESSAGE asking anyone to meet me there.

Not only reply, not a single one.

So STFU chicken arms. :banana:

:roflmao:

Chicken arms....

Pictures of me are quite available. Chicken arms? WTH does that mean.

Athletic ... What does that mean exactly ?

Remember when I was in Montreal and decided to go to the Con and posted a PUBLIC MESSAGE asking anyone to meet me there. I wanted to put the rumors to rest, even though I have no overriding need to meet anyone or post pics for constant Photoshopping.

JC, I missed that. Had I seen it I'm sure I could have gotten at least a couple dozen board members to fly in all over the world and meet you there. Me included.

R.

That means I have excellent hand-eye coordination and played virtually all sports. Toss me out there today, and I'll hit HRs in baseball, score some goals in hockey and rifle a football. I could even dunk in my younger days and was always the first 1-2 people picked in high school sports.

But of course, this will all be turned into some bizarre bragging ritual, and I'll somehow be characterized as a 3-foot dwarf with mobility problems. :tonofbricks:

Yea. No pizzing contest in sports from me. Played Baseball for 9 years, never cared much for other sports.

Baseball was my favorite too, and I was born in the wrong freaking country. It was all hockey, hockey, hockey (a sport I am very proficient in, but don't like due to the cold, ice and monster equipment) up here 24/7. :mad:

I hate the winter, and I often thought that my parent's adopted me on a trip to California. lol

I have had a blast (and still enjoy it, unlike apparently you with all of your bitterness and frustrations).

lol, you'd be so lucky to have my life, and contrary to popular belief, I only find myself being irritated on these boards.

Don't get me wrong, I like collecting comics and talking about them, but I absolutely detest brainless, herd-like behavior and it's quite common on sheep-heavy boards like this. I take orders from The Wolf and don't associate with sheep in real-life, but there's no way around it on a public board.

Brain detail for you, Vince.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

That means I have excellent hand-eye coordination and played virtually all sports. Toss me out there today, and I'll hit HRs in baseball, score some goals in hockey and rifle a football. I could even dunk in my younger days and was always the first 1-2 people picked in high school sports.

But of course, this will all be turned into some bizarre bragging ritual, and I'll somehow be characterized as a 3-foot dwarf with mobility problems. :tonofbricks:

:o

Sorry but I am now convinced that you are a 3 foot Troll with warts and crusty finger nails. That being said you are a Libra so not all bad !!

:foryou: