• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G.I. JOE THREAD YO JOE!!!!!!
10 10

2,338 posts in this topic

was looking for another gijoe #63 3rd print and had a look on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Joe-Rare-Much-Fun-Variant/dp/B006DI6CTQ

last place I thought to look. I ended up getting a really nice copy but there is another one (albeit a bit more expensive) on the link above...

Seems like a decent price. Am I off base?

I saw a "good" condition one sell on ebay for $135 last year...but also picked one up at $25 the year before...big variances on this one.

Do you have one you're desperate to get rid of?

No, just the one copy I managed to get. I sent it in hoping it was a 9.8 but unfortunately the CGC gods were not with me - came back a 9.6... :sorry:

They are rare but not worth $399, even if it was a CGC 9.8.

Does anyone have, or have ever even seen, a #21 second print? I know they exist, but I have never even seen a listing for one, etc. I'm guessing if anyone, it would be silent master...

I'm not 100% sure, because I don't own one.

But I think the "2nd print" has the black spidey on the front; however, it does NOT say 2nd print inside the comic so people were thinking they were 1st prints.

Again, I'm going by memory on that. Don't take it as fact. I''m curious to hear from others too.

You got me thinking about this. lol

#3 was similar to this. The 2nd print to #3 has a different cover, but the inside also does NOT have anything written inside. CGC grades them both as 1st prints.

I believe the 1st print was the diamond price box, the 2nd print was the Marvel "M" and they were in the 3 packs.

(Again, I think the 2nd print #21 has the black Spidey with nothing written inside, but I'm not sure.)

GIJoe3.jpg

http://gijoe21.com/printings.htm

First printing :

There are two different versions of the first print: newstand and direct market. While some collectors place a small premium on the price they will pay for a newstand version, both of these versions are first printings.

The direct market version, pictured on the left in the image below, has a white Spider-Man head in the box on the lower left corner of the front cover. When G.I. Joe #21 was first published by Marvel Comics in March 1984, this version was sold exclusively by comic book specialty retaliers, which are commomly referred to as local comic shops.

The newstand version, pictured on the right in the image below, has a UPC code in the box on the lower left corner of the front cover. When G.I. Joe #21 was first published, this version was sold by drugstores, grocery stores, toy stores, convenience stores, and magazine vendors.

There is one other difference between the newstand and direct market versions of the first print. Note that the top left corner of the direct market version has a stylized "M." One pilar of the "M" contains the price and the other pilar contains the issue number and the month the issue was released. The top left corner of the newstand version contains two square boxes as opposed to the stylized "M." One of the boxes contains the 60 cent price, the issue number, and the month the issue was released. The other box contains the comics code approval seal. Also note that the direct market version does not have a comics code approval seal.

joe21newsanddir_zps4dd8574e.jpg

Second and Third Printings :

There are several ways to identify a second or third printing. The easiest and most efficient way is the black Spider-Man head in the box on the lower left corner of the front cover, as shown in the image below.

joe21thirdprint_zps874a1f5e.jpg

Another way to identify a second or third printing is to check the indicia on the bottom of the first page. Following the publisher and copyright information is a stamp stating the printing number. The image below was taken from a "Third Printing."

joe21thirdprintindicia_zps733d0162.jpg

Yet another difference between the pritings are the advertisements both on the back cover and inside. For example, both the newstand and direct market versions of the first printing have an ad for the Parker Brothers Frogger video game, as shown on the left side of the image below. The subsequent printings have ads for things other than the Frogger video game. For example, the back cover ad for The Young Astronauts Program on the right side of the image below was taken from a third printing. Interestingly, while the ads on the insde changed with each subsequent printing of the book, the Postbox: The Pit letters page has been consistently reprinted as it appeared in the first printing

joe21thirdprintbackcompare_zps4daf49c5.jpg

Yes, the 2nd printings of 3, 4 and 5 were all printed at the same time as issue #11. You can tell becuase of the ads on the back cover and throughout the book match to issue #11.

Interesting...I didn't know that about #3. I knew they were different, and I have both, though I didn't realize there was a "second print" as it were

I've come across that discussion about the different prints...

I've also heard different stories about the second print...the description above does not really describe how to determine if it's a second print...

I've read somewhere that the second print doesn't actually say second print anywhere...it's just the black spidey without any indication inside...

That's what I'm trying to find out- and I think there must be something unusual about it, because I have never seen or even heard of someone having one..

Yes, the 2nd printings of 3, 4 and 5 were all printed at the same time as issue #11. You can tell becuase of the ads on the back cover and throughout the book match to issue #11.

Interesting...I didn't know that about #3. I knew they were different, and I have both, though I didn't realize there was a "second print" as it were

Comicconxion is correct - these 2nd prints of 3, 4, & 5 are not marked 2nd print anywhere and match issue 11 when it comes to ads and back cover.

Example:

These are #3 1st prints with this back cover ad

cgcgijoe3_zpsd3f6172e.jpgJoe3newsstand001_zps73989994.jpgjoeback3001_zpse7cd5b80.jpg

These is the #3 2nd print that matches #11 ads and back cover:

Joe3F001_zpse5ff5013.jpgJoe3B001_zps2bfc995d.jpg

Here's issue #11

Joe11A001_zpsa04c4419.jpgJoe11B001_zpsfe676136.jpg

Any 3, 4, or 5 with an M price box with the Jedi Arena Ad is a 2nd print (the back of 4 1st print has a Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back Video game ad and #5 1st print has a lego ad.)

MANY 3, 4, & 5 (2nd prints) have been graded by CGC as 1st prints because they are not clearly marked as such... all triangle price boxes (issue 1, 2, & 3) are 1st prints.

Edited by Silent Master