• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G.I. JOE THREAD YO JOE!!!!!!
10 10

2,338 posts in this topic

Snagged it online within an hour of it being listed. I got lucky. Easily the rarest Joe book I've ever had. I'd like to get a full unopened set, as I have the hardest one, but I have a hard time finding nice opened copies, so I'm not going to even try.

Why is Joe #21 so tough in high grade? Yes it's a dark cover but for an 80's book with a high print run this book is extremly tough in high grade.

Also is it just me or are CGC loose on this issue. The 9.8's on eBay both have multiple ncb spine ticks (shrug)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-I-JOE-21-1984-SILENT-ISSUE-CGC-GRADED-9-8-WHITE-PAGES-/120961853353?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1c29e367a9

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GI-Joe-1982-Marvel-21-CGC-9-8-0986657011-/130741183818?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1e70c8254a

Snagged it online within an hour of it being listed. I got lucky. Easily the rarest Joe book I've ever had. I'd like to get a full unopened set, as I have the hardest one, but I have a hard time finding nice opened copies, so I'm not going to even try.

Nice! (thumbs u

I think part of the reason that it's scarcer is that G.I. Joe didn't really become a "hot" comic until a few months later. I'm not sure what the print run was, but I don't think it was as anything close to as high as it got when it peaked around issue #50. I remember going to local comic shows at the time and the hype around G.I. Joe started a couple months after issue #21 and you didn't see dealers start stockpiling back issues until around issue #28 (although you started seeing some of that with issues #22 and 23). The first few years, kids were keeping the comic alive and may not have been as concerned with keeping their Joe comics in tip top shape - they wanted to read them!

Also, it is a dark cover which is why it's harder than some of the other early issues.

That's my perspective having been pretty active buying Joe comics back in the day.

Why is Joe #21 so tough in high grade? Yes it's a dark cover but for an 80's book with a high print run this book is extremly tough in high grade.

Probably because a large chunk of the print run was consumed by kids. 2c

I got started collecting comics through G.I. Joe. It was huge back then, and all the kids my age were fans. Snake-Eyes and Storm Shadow were two of the most popular toys and everybody wanted to read the comics about them.

I bet G.I. Joe #26 and #27 are just as tough.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

But if that's true wouldn't issues of Transformers be just as scarce in hg?

I have no idea how hard the TF comics are to find in HG, since I don't collect them.

As a kid I loved G.I. Joe and Transformers toys and cartoons. But for some reason I never got into the TF comics. The TF comic never did it for me. The ones I tried were terrible. It was the same for my friends too. If that was true in other places less kids would have destroyed them.

Transformers came out a few years later than G.I. Joe. And, there were bagged three packs of issues #1-3 that were offered of that book. I remember buying 20 or so of those three packs myself - bagged and boarded them as soon as I pulled them out of the thee pack and sold them straight to collectors for a few bucks each. So, they probably survived a lot better.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

But if that's true wouldn't issues of Transformers be just as scarce in hg?

Hi all-

I've reintroduced myself to an old box on 1980s GI Joe about four years ago, and have been slowly trying to work on completing a full set of US books...I decided some time ago that I'm not motivated/crazy enough (like many of you) to try to collect CGC books...I've only got one, which was gifted to me by a fantastically kind internet friend...

So, my question is- I've gotten to the point that I'm getting into some of the rarer books, like convention covers, toy comics, and rare variants-I'm stuck on where to look for this stuff

I'm on EBay, and occasionally find some of the stuff, but I wonder if there's some place that I might be more effective that I don't know about- any ideas? any leads?

I went to NYCC this year as well, and probably going back again in 2012, though I feel like that was better for completing the more common back issues...

Hey WTTB!!!!!!!

Always great to see a Joe fan here!!!!

I get most of mine from E-Bay and some of the stuff from other Joe collectors here and there (in fact if you have some issues in mind you are looking for let me know and I'll start searching through the boxes - it's amazing what few extras I have at time!)

If you wait and look long enough you can find full runs and lots on E-Bay as well... it's a great way to get several books at once for a deal (and a single shipping charge!)

Thanks for your advice!

I'll keep scanning EBay...very proud of myself for finding a So Much Fun #63 this month for a reasonable price (bad condition, but again, I'm not as interested in grade per se)

I would ask you about some extras...but you're the "fantastically kind internet friend" I was talking about...you actually sent me a tremendous bunch of stuff a few years ago!

I would feel horribly guilty about hitting you up again...how about at least keep me in mind if you hear of something rare or a great deal for sale somewhere I might not be looking...

Thanks for your advice!

I'll keep scanning EBay...very proud of myself for finding a So Much Fun #63 this month for a reasonable price (bad condition, but again, I'm not as interested in grade per se)

I would ask you about some extras...but you're the "fantastically kind internet friend" I was talking about...you actually sent me a tremendous bunch of stuff a few years ago!

I would feel horribly guilty about hitting you up again...how about at least keep me in mind if you hear of something rare or a great deal for sale somewhere I might not be looking...

lol - Well that's good to know but I am always happy to help a Joe fan out when I can! I have a couple of Joe collectors that hook me up with stuff all the time so I'm just trying to spread the love! :foryou:

I'll keep you in mind - but always feel free to hit me up on some specific books anytime!

you know, someplace out there is a warehouse full of 10.0 Joe #21s, which will one day be found and dumped on eBay, ala Twisted Tales #1.

This quote is 6 1/2 years old, and it's not far from the truth. Not 10.0's, but 9.8's. After reading the start of this thread, it's amazing how long it took to find a 9.8 of issue 21. Looser grading standards? Off topic: I started this thread and gots no credit. :sorry:

Thanks for your advice!

I recently scrounged a mid grade copy of GI Joe SMF #63. Not the greatest image but it's still en route to me so I haven't scanned it yet.

SoMuchFunGIJoe63-f.jpg

Just got these 2 done at the Baltimore Comic Con this weekend.

The 1st one is with CGC getting the Signature Series treatment.

"Firefly" by Eric Henson. :cloud9:

FireflybyEricHansen-1.jpg

11x17 "Firefly" by SL Gallant (G.I. Joe ARAH artist). :cloud9:

FireflybySLGallant.jpg

Holy !!!! :o

(worship)(worship)(worship) - NICE!

(What blank is that????)