• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who buys from Chuck?

60 posts in this topic

I've bought books from MH before. I would buy from Chuck in 2 instances:

1) I'm looking for random cheap SA / BA / CA books and Chuck's inventory is so large that I can shop in one location and save on shipping even though I pay more for the books and

2) I check his GA listings once in a while ... but then I look for the same book on his eBay Store and generally the book is available for cheaper on the eBay Store than on the main site plus shipping is also faster and cheaper. (thumbs u

Coincidentailly, there are 2 instances when I would buy from him:

1) When pigs fly

2) When hell freezes over

lol

And this is why I don't post more in general: constructive posting.

It's quick and easy to malign Chuck but like every business, there are ways you can make Chuck's model work for you. I have found what works for me. Apparently, you haven't but ... then again ... you've not informed us as to why there is no way Chuck's store / inventory can work for you.

Ok..I didn't feel it was necessary to rehash what (nearly) everybody warns - I mean says - when one of these threads pops up, but...

1.He has insanely high prices on any back issues I've ever seen "in stock"

2.Questionable (to be polite) grading.

3.Virtually no discount on new issues, and no break on shipping.

4. His annoying sales gimmicks.

That should do it....

:foryou:

True but as I say at times they are priced more reasonably on eBay than on the site for the SAME book.

Depends on what kind of grade you buy. I've bought many G from Chuck that were G/VG or VG in fact.

Again, dependent on what you're looking for, deals can be found even with Chuck. Now, if you're looking for tight high-grade nicely priced, I agree: it won't happen. If, however, you're looking for oddball low grade, he has stuff many others don't carry!

I've bought books from MH before. I would buy from Chuck in 2 instances:

1) I'm looking for random cheap SA / BA / CA books and Chuck's inventory is so large that I can shop in one location and save on shipping even though I pay more for the books and

2) I check his GA listings once in a while ... but then I look for the same book on his eBay Store and generally the book is available for cheaper on the eBay Store than on the main site plus shipping is also faster and cheaper. (thumbs u

Coincidentailly, there are 2 instances when I would buy from him:

1) When pigs fly

2) When hell freezes over

lol

And this is why I don't post more in general: constructive posting.

It's quick and easy to malign Chuck but like every business, there are ways you can make Chuck's model work for you. I have found what works for me. Apparently, you haven't but ... then again ... you've not informed us as to why there is no way Chuck's store / inventory can work for you.

Ok..I didn't feel it was necessary to rehash what (nearly) everybody warns - I mean says - when one of these threads pops up, but...

He currently has 245,170 items listed on eBay. The cheapest books are $1. Shipping only applies to the 1st item. All subsequent items ship free.

Grading varies. The TPB I recently received was better than in Fine condition. (shrug)

3.Virtually no discount on new issues, and no break on shipping.

Does your LCS give you a discount on new issues? I live in an area that has some of the best Comic Book stores in the country. They don't generally offer discounts on new comics, even for advance orders. As stated before, his shipping policy on eBay is actually below most eBay sellers. (Brian Hibbs gives some good advice regarding discounts and how that affects a comic store's profit margin.)

Chuck's NICE service seems to give you 10-40% with most comics 10% off.

4. His annoying sales gimmicks.

How would you be annoyed by his sales gimmicks unless you received his newsletter? My suggestion: Don't subscribe to his newsletter. There are no gimmicks on his eBay auctions. They're the same as all the other comic book related auctions... sans a scan of the actual book. This is something you will also find on Atomic Avenue.

That should do it....

:foryou:

Comments in BOLD...

If you read Chucks grading guidelines on his web site. He clearly states if you want certifiable comics hes not gonna sell them to you for Raw price.

"It's just not commercially viable for us to try and second-guess people who go over their comics with a magnifying glass. So we do not even try to sell comics to that audience. If you desire "Mint" comics only, we strongly encourage you to seek out another source for your back issue needs".

Chucks a good guy for as much money as he spends at shows, he has always been pleasant with me.

Through his articles in the CBG and his newsletters, I've learned alot about marketing and setting up a business plan from his free advice.

I bought from Chuck when he first started with CGC books. He didn't know how to price them, so I actual had the better of the deal. Today he probably sells them at multiples of highest GPA.

Soooooooo, do you still buy them now to even it out?

Nope, it's like gambling, you just have to know when to walk away! :grin:

I bought books from mile high back in the 80's when he placed those full page centerfold ads in comics.....my first mail order ............my first mail order disapointment.........my last mail order for a very long time until I started bidding on Quasar comics auctions......been a long time since that too.

I have never bought from chuck. I havent ever sold books to him either. I have however talked to him many times at a local show here in NJ that he frequents. The guy really does love his job, he loves the hobby, and also the people. He could have as much money as god or nothing at all, you cant tell by looking at him. He has some very good insights about the hobby, and is a good guy to talk to. I dont buy from him, have checked out his store online. The guys really humble, and is more enthusiastic about comics then 90% of the people I have ever talked with.

If you read Chucks grading guidelines on his web site. He clearly states if you want certifiable comics hes not gonna sell them to you for Raw price.

"It's just not commercially viable for us to try and second-guess people who go over their comics with a magnifying glass. So we do not even try to sell comics to that audience. If you desire "Mint" comics only, we strongly encourage you to seek out another source for your back issue needs".

If this is the case, why does he bother advertising books as NM condition then? I'm okay with not getting "Mint" books, but if you grade the books as G, VG, F, VF, NM, claim to follow Overstreet grading standards, and sell a NM book, then it is reasonable for the buyer to get a NM book. In Mile High's case, if you order a NM book, you will most likely end up with a VF or worse. They are a joke.

The above comments makes him sound like the victim of the "picky" buyer, when he is anything but the victim. If I order a NM book, I expect a NM book. I don't need a magnifying glass to see if a book is in NM condition or not.

Needless to say, I don't buy from Chuck. I did a few times a couple of years ago, and each time I was disappointed.

I've never ordered from the guy. To be honest, many of the stories I hear about him don't have me dialing him up, so to speak...But he, on that fateful day back in 1977, got that random call from the place he used to work at...that led to Edgar Church's books. I can't seem to get enough of the story from what I've read.

Maybe Matt Nelson and Steve Ritter's book will have even more delights within, re: the "Mile High" collection. I know he likely won't be forgiven all his overgrading sins, but I'd like to sit down with him over a Moutain Dew and have him tell me about that day in 1977. I heard he is not a man of few words, but I'm thinking I'd love to hear his countless stories about back in the day...How the San Diego Con is ripping him and others off in the 21st century would interest me less. :whistle:

I've never ordered from the guy. To be honest, many of the stories I hear about him don't have me dialing him up, so to speak...But he, on that fateful day back in 1977, got that random call from the place he used to work at...that led to Edgar Church's books. I can't seem to get enough of the story from what I've read.

Maybe Matt Nelson and Steve Ritter's book will have even more delights within, re: the "Mile High" collection. I know he likely won't be forgiven all his overgrading sins, but I'd like to sit down with him over a Moutain Dew and have him tell me about that day in 1977. I heard he is not a man of few words, but I'm thinking I'd love to hear his countless stories about back in the day...How the San Diego Con is ripping him and others off in the 21st century would interest me less. :whistle:

kinda funny that the San Diego Con is ripping him off after he paid Edgar Church's heirs a total of 20 cents combined for Detective 27 and Action 1. :roflmao:

kinda funny that the San Diego Con is ripping him off after he paid Edgar Church's heirs a total of 20 cents combined for Detective 27 and Action 1. :roflmao:

exactly.

I am less enamoured with his tales of the Church collection.

I'm not sure of the amounts paid, so I'm not affirming that, but I know it was a comparitive pittance.

I'm not sure of the amounts paid, so I'm not affirming that, but I know it was a comparitive pittance.

And how is this Chuck's fault? (shrug)

According to (admittedly) his version, the heirs called not only him but other dealers BUT he was the only one that went to look at the books and he made an offer that the heirs could have refused, mind you, nor did he pay the absolute minimum he could have. In fact, his offer was more than the amount of capital he had available. He knew he would have to take a loan or a partner. He decided to have a quick sale of some of the books to finance the deal quickly. I still don't get why over the years Chuck has become evil incarnate for striking this deal while purchasing this collection when it is the SAME kind of deal that happens whenever ANY collection is purchased. :makepoint:

And how is this Chuck's fault? (shrug)

According to (admittedly) his version, the heirs called not only him but other dealers BUT he was the only one that went to look at the books and he made an offer that the heirs could have refused, mind you, nor did he pay the absolute minimum he could have. In fact, his offer was more than the amount of capital he had available. He knew he would have to take a loan or a partner. He decided to have a quick sale of some of the books to finance the deal quickly. I still don't get why over the years Chuck has become evil incarnate for striking this deal while purchasing this collection when it is the SAME kind of deal that happens whenever ANY collection is purchased. :makepoint:

Also, context helps--this was only 1977. Overstreet had only been around 7 years and, what, comic conventions had only been on the scene just over a decade? Who knows what the lot Guided for at the time, but he rounded up the scratch so it was his. Wasn't he only in his early to mid-twenties at the time?