• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-MEN 94 CGC 9.6

484 posts in this topic

I guess you can tell I'm getting a little sick of all this bogus QP talk of late...

I'll second that notion. Would I prefer a perfectly cut/centered copy over one that isn't? Of course. But the fuss some people are making about the slightest miswraps, even 1/32" or 1/16" are way out of proportion to any perceived imperfection. And for slightly more obvious miswraps or miscuts, am I to believe that it's really worthy of cutting 3.0 to 3.5 grading points off an otherwise NM copy?

Personally, I think CGC could do better in penalizing miswrapped/miscut books, but I'm talking about an extra 0.2 deduction, not 15 times that amount. Also, the old notations identifying more excessive miscuts and miswraps would serve the desired purpose of drawing attention to the defect without a ridiculous punishment of the numerical grade, and would force "label-buyers" to bid accordingly. CGC continues to do collectors an enormous disservice by leaving off these comments.

As for the XM #94 CGC 9.6, it's not the prettiest 9.6 I've ever seen, but on the other hand it doesn't have the post-production defects (particularly the multiple spine stresses) that the 9.4 copy has. I can see how even non-label whores would justify paying much more for this copy than the 9.4.

And by the way, to "The_Greatest", since I take it your comment about the guy who complains about the prices on '70s books bidding on the auction was directed at me, can you please tell me which one of the usual band of you are a shill account for? Considering I haven't done much complaining of late and none since you started posting, I take it you've been around for a long time under someone else's ID.

Gene

I guess you can tell I'm getting a little sick of all this bogus QP talk of late.... \

I don't think it's bogus at all. If you're going to spend all that money, you might as well buy a copy that appeals to you, visually. Sure, the QP talk on here may get exaggerated at times, but for my money I'd rather have a copy free of these production defects. You may be right about how things were before CGC( I was not buying high grade then) but seeing as how it now costs a hell of a lot more to get high grade books, naturally people will become more selective. And IMO, grading standards will continue evolving, and may one day get to the point where this 9.6 would no longer be considered a 9.6 because of the miswrap, and a copy like that 9.4 may be more highly prized.

The miswrap on that 9.6 looks terrible. Maybe it's just me( hi.gif ).....but I would much rather have a nice looking 9.4, then an overpriced 9.6 that looks like [!@#%^&^].

Because it's being taken to ridiculous levels. Maybe it a result of the amount of CGC comics being available for view due to the Internet. There are few collectors that would voice the petty gripes about the QP of comics (unless severe) 10 years ago as I've seen lately. It's as if people have rediscovered the playground and nitpicking comic by saying "my 9.4 is better than your 9.4".....

This was pretty much immaterial before CGC......

Jim

I don't think it's bogus at all. If you're going to spend all that money, you might as well buy a copy that appeals to you, visually. Sure, the QP talk on here may get exaggerated at times, but for my money I'd rather have a copy free of these production defects. You may be right about how things were before CGC( I was not buying high grade then) but seeing as how it now costs a hell of a lot more to get high grade books, naturally people will become more selective. And IMO, grading standards will continue evolving, and may one day get to the point where this 9.6 would no longer be considered a 9.6 because of the miswrap, and a copy like that 9.4 may be more highly prized.

Maybe if you didn't buy into all this QP talk, you wouldn't be as selective? It's common knowledge that the printing of comics wasn't as refined as it is now. Overwraps and slight miscuts were the norm. Unless it was severe, it really wasn't talked about much because of it's commonality. Now people are nitpicking slight variations on similiarly graded comics. insane.gif

I understand wanting the "best" copy available but slamming otherwise very nice comics is counter-productive and not good for this hobby in my opinion.

Jim

At current prices.....they should be.

Bull...a NM is a NM. Sure there might be minor differences in perpendicular angle of cover or slight white showing on a cover but it only a problem if YOU MAKE IT A PROBLEM. And that's exactly what's occurring here......

People that may not be astute as you in regards to miswraps and miscuts will be reading these Forums (and they are the "CGC Forums") and taking your (or others) opinion as gospel regardless of what CGC grades these supposed defects. How is that good for this hobby as "QP" doesn't even exist as identifer?

Just cause you say so doesn't make it so......

Jim

At current prices.....they should be.

Bull...a NM is a NM. Sure there might be minor differences in perpendicular angle of cover or slight white showing on a cover but it only a problem if YOU MAKE IT A PROBLEM. And that's exactly what's occurring here......

People that may not be astute as you in regards to miswraps and miscuts will be reading these Forums (and they are the "CGC Forums") and taking your (or others) opinion as gospel regardless of what CGC grades these supposed defects. How is that good for this hobby as "QP" doesn't even exist as identifer?

Just cause you say so doesn't make it so......

Jim

It's simply my opinion......and more importantly: My PREFERENCE . confused-smiley-013.gif

call it "natural selection" if u like but the majority of hi grade collectors are anal retentive and perfectionists and down the road 5-10 years QP IS definitely going to be a factor

miscuts and off centre books with white spine showing will not be as sought after as books with perfect registration and prices of 9.6 books with such QP defects will probably fall somewhat

page quality is def going to become more and more importnant

it may be that 5 years down the road a perfectly centred 9.4 white, is worth more than a miscut 9.6 ow , also woulddepend alot on the specific book

call it "natural selection" if u like but the majority of hi grade collectors are anal retentive and perfectionists and down the road 5-10 years QP IS definitely going to be a factor

miscuts and off centre books with white spine showing will not be as sought after as books with perfect registration and prices of 9.6 books with such QP defects will probably fall somewhat

page quality is def going to become more and more importnant

it may be that 5 years down the road a perfectly centred 9.4 white, is worth more than a miscut 9.6 ow , also woulddepend alot on the specific book

893applaud-thumb.gif

Comparisons of this manner really didn't occur until the advent of CGC. A nice comic was a nice comic before CGC. Now people compare 9.4s against 9.4s or in this case 9.4 against 9.6. Does it really matter - monetary difference aside? Both are extremely nice copies and prior to CGC would hold high regard in 99% of people's collections.

I guess you can tell I'm getting a little sick of all this bogus QP talk of late....

I've been avoiding miswraps since the '80s. I had four friends in high school who also collected...two didn't care about wrap and the other two did. I don't know where you're getting the idea that CGC created this phenomenon...I think you're hearing about it more now due to the advent of the Internet, not CGC. People get into much more esoteric discussions on message boards than they do in person. I chat for hours at cons, but I've never once gotten into deep grading issues there...usually they're really surface-level type talks. I rarely find people who enjoy talking deeply for whatever reason, and if you try, the conversations dry up quick for who knows what reason.

Did people start straightening pictures hanging on their wall crookedly after CGC started? That's what a miswrap is to me...a picture hanging crooked that can never be righted. A white back cover wrapping to the front by 1/8" is more of a visual impedance to my eyes than a 1/2" crease hidden in the colors of the cover. It can take you a minute or more to find the hidden crease, but the miswrap is immediately noticable to a sharp eye.

A white back cover wrapping to the front by 1/8" is more of a visual impedance to my eyes than a 1/2" crease hidden in the colors of the cover. It can take you a minute or more to find the hidden crease, but the miswrap is immediately noticable to a sharp eye.

893applaud-thumb.gif

Prior to CGC, I don't know many dealers (if any) that would've deducted anything on the grade of that 9.6 for that slight mis-wrap (regardless of what OS says). I think the internet and wide availability of cover images has made people more aware of it, but given the choice of 2 identical books "physical" condition-wise, the one with better centering is definitely more appealing, and the market will reflect that via $$...

Prior to CGC, I don't know many dealers (if any) that would've deducted anything on the grade of that 9.6 for that slight mis-wrap (regardless of what OS says).

The book shouldn't be downgraded for the miswrap ......CGC's grade should only take a books "structure" into consideration. I think production defects should be dealt with seperately....just as Page Quality is.... hi.gif