• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ERB Collection----Tarzan anyone?

447 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I just started visiting these boards a couple of months ago and have really enjoyed what I have seen so far. I have been collecting now for around 30 years (time flies when your having fun!) and thought I would share a few things with you. These are all pics', the scanner is on the fritz right now.

Hope you enjoy!

First up, in keeping with the comics theme......

erb035.jpg

erb037.jpg

DSCF2679.jpg

DSCF2680.jpg

Speaking of Comics, have any of you ever seen this, or even heard of it??

This is what I have been told about this item (description came with it):

1945 United Feature Comics Vol. 6 #42 The Rarest known comic containing Tarzan. 22 x 15 inch, spiral bound, hard cardboard covers "published weekly" "10 cent" This series printed all the Sunday and Daily strips owned by united Features plus a weeks' worth of the single panel strips (such as Tarzan, Lil Abner, Hawkshaw The Detective, Capt. & The Kids, Joe Jinks, Ella Cinders, Bronco Bill, Bill Mauldin's Up Front, etc...) This is supposedly the only known surviving copy of this issue, which is the only one with a full page of the week of Tarzan Strips! It is also the rarest and largest dime comic strip reprint book of Tarzan (or probably any other strip star).

Let me know what you think!! :)

erb009.jpg

erb010.jpg

erb011.jpg

erb013.jpg

erb015.jpg

erb016.jpg

erb019.jpg

erb020.jpg

erb021.jpg

erb022.jpg

Speaking of Comics, have any of you ever seen this, or even heard of it??

This is what I have been told about this item (description came with it):

1945 United Feature Comics Vol. 6 #42 The Rarest known comic containing Tarzan. 22 x 15 inch, spiral bound, hard cardboard covers "published weekly" "10 cent" This series printed all the Sunday and Daily strips owned by united Features plus a weeks' worth of the single panel strips (such as Tarzan, Lil Abner, Hawkshaw The Detective, Capt. & The Kids, Joe Jinks, Ella Cinders, Bronco Bill, Bill Mauldin's Up Front, etc...) This is supposedly the only known surviving copy of this issue, which is the only one with a full page of the week of Tarzan Strips! It is also the rarest and largest dime comic strip reprint book of Tarzan (or probably any other strip star).

I've neither seen it not heard of it, but it's cool as heck! How many pages is it? I love the mention of Yvonne DeCarlo (Lily Munster) on the first page too! Have you seen other issues of that series?

I have never seen any other comic like that before. I can't recall how many pages are in it, somewhere around 20 I think.

With it being a "weekly" and Vol. 6, #42 you would think there would be others, or at least a mention in Overstreet. I'm hoping some of the more seasoned collectors around here can shed some light on it.

I picked this up from a writer who worked at Gold Key. This has never been on the market before!

erb034.jpg

That one deserves (worship). I know Theagenes will blow his top when he sees this!

Holy ! faint2.gif

I was blowing my top over the John Carter Fast Action Story, then I scrolled down and saw this. Amazing! (worship)

Isn't that John Carter Fast Action awesome!?! I just couldn't believe it when I got that copy, the one it replaced was your average, well enjoyed copy (not that you can find a copy in any shape as you know).

When I started going through the man's stacks of art and came across that cover I nearly wet myself :)

I've got a couple of March of Comics back cover Tarzan's also from that collection........I will try to take some more pic's this weekend and post for ya.

Thanks for the great pics, I'm a big fan of ERB stuff too, although I've not managed to make any inroads into the 1st ed. books or pulps.

I don't suppose there were any All-Storys in the pics that you posted of the pulps?

I think I have a few...........I will take a few pics of the pulps this weekend. I've been buying the pulps for close to 20 years now and some are not so good shape and some are very nice. In other words, just a good ole collection! :)

Isn't that John Carter Fast Action awesome!?! I just couldn't believe it when I got that copy, the one it replaced was your average, well enjoyed copy (not that you can find a copy in any shape as you know).

When I started going through the man's stacks of art and came across that cover I nearly wet myself :)

I've got a couple of March of Comics back cover Tarzan's also from that collection........I will try to take some more pic's this weekend and post for ya.

That is a gorgeous copy of the Fast Action. It rarely comes up for sale in any grade and that is one of the nicest I've ever seen. I still need one of these and the Giant of Mars BLB.

Can't wait to see some of your pulps! :popcorn: