• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Geez...If you want a PREACHER page...

98 posts in this topic

For those of us who don't collect these pages though enjoyed the series. What would FMV be for each of these pages?

Multply by 10...then..factor in the guys that want them and will bid like madmen and double that number.

C

Pardon, but what does FMV stand for?

I lost my two Preacher pages in a trade for a Mignola Hellboy. It was a pretty uneven swap now that I look back on it, but I've got my Fabry covers so I'm set on preacher art unless it's a truly amazing splash page.

Couple of superb pieces there and some nice character examples, looks like someone might have liquidated a collection.

Lot of nice or rare stuff coming up recently, interesting to see how quickly or if it sells as priced.

:popcorn:

and folks said my pricing was "aggressive"

Sorry Mike, but it was :makepoint: And, even more sorry to say, it appears Anthony took a cue from your pricing. I talked to him a little while back and he specifically mentioned your sale.

It looks like the one "big" page has sold and the lesser pages have not. This is the pattern that has emerged-- key pages will sell for big bucks. Sellers will hope that demand crosses over to all pages (it does not) and will try to sell for high prices (unsuccessfully). There are a ton of pages in the series, so naturally, collectors will tend to be picky.

I recently put a nice all-Jesse page (complete with profanity and Ennis humor) on Ebay with no reserve. It sold for $363. That's what the market valued it at. If another seller had the same page, they'd probably ask $1K or more. They wouldn't get it, but other people would jump to the conclusion that similar pages were "worth" $1K. That's why, to me, the best gauge for FMV is a no reserve auction on Ebay.

Felix,

First let me say that I hope you continue to list PREACHER pages with no reserve :wishluck:

And I know my prices were "a bit" high :devil: , and probably the reason I sold less than a half dozen of the 100 or so listed. In your comversation with Anthony you should have also referenced my "sale" and told him, "Yeah, that's what he's asking, but he hasn't sold ."

I mentioned in another thread awhile back that all modern OA is going the way of the splash. It's a vicous circle collectors have put ourselves in. It used to be the 'average' collector could put together or buy an entire book. It may have been slightly painful on the wallet, but it was doable. As prices crept slowly up it got harder and harder. So they/we started to gravitate towards the more 'key' pieces. So then more collectors were going after fewer number of pages, which made prices go even higher. Then it was the "one prime example" and again, more colectors going after even less pages. Prices reflected. And so the 'key pages' are many many multiples of the other 20+/- pages of the same book. And as you said, sellers are using the 'all boats rise with the tide' mentality, but buyers would rather wait and spend $2000 for that "one page" instead of spending $500per for four 'nothing' pages and those latter pages stagnate. But sellers refuse to budge and lower their asking price (myslef included, when it comes to PREACHER). This isn't the case with only PREACHER pages, I think it has happened slowly throughout the entire market. Your lucky you got $300+ for your page, any other title from the same era and you'd be either re-listing indefinitely or selling for $50.

And as far as FMV goes, when it comes to PREACHER pages I could care less, I know what I will spend on any given page and what it would take to get me to box it up and ship it. Both of these prices have little if anything to do with reality :insane:

That's the irony of all this...your pricing has done more to inflate the value of average PREACHER pages than actual sales. It's going to take a bunch more no reserve auctions for people to get the message. Until then, everyone with a run-of-the-mill PREACHER page thinks they've got a lottery ticket.

And, as I said in another thread, anyone who appreciates no reserve auctions, should pay it back when they sell their stuff. And I mean true no reserve auctions...not ones with minimum bids starting at or above FMV. That's the other vicious cycle in our hobby...everyone complains about high prices and artificially high values, but when it comes time to sell, they play the exact same game.

That's the irony of all this...your pricing has done more to inflate the value of average PREACHER pages than actual sales.

But I've only had one PREACHER sale in my 13years or so of collecting them. Or do mean my incessant collecting?

I'm not going to take all of the blame for the market. How about I take the same percentage of the blame as the percent of books I own from the series, 15% give or take :devil::roflmao:

Not putting ALL the blame on you. Just saying that you've made it harder for yourself to acquire more pages at realistic prices since you posted your sale. Unless, of course, you're standing pat at 15%. 15% just means you're a slightly obsessed fan. You need 25% if you're ever going to join the Beyond All Reason Fan (B.A.R.F.) category :insane:lol:jokealert:

Continuing the trend:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PREACHER-53-pg-13-Steve-DILLON-Garth-ENNIS-Jesse-CUSTER_W0QQitemZ110368493646QQihZ001QQcategoryZ972QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

One panel with Jesse. Started at $250...and no bids. Would have been interesting to see where it would have ended up had it started low with no reserve. As it is, it's clear how picky people are with PREACHER right now.

One panel with Jesse. Started at $250...and no bids. Would have been interesting to see where it would have ended up had it started low with no reserve. As it is, it's clear how picky people are with PREACHER right now.

Yep, collectors have moved from "wanting a PREACHER page." to wanting "That one definitive example."

So splashes will continue to rise as more go after those few pages and 'run of the mill' pages like that example will stagnate or, dare I say, decline in value :boo:

Yep, collectors have moved from "wanting a PREACHER page." to wanting "That one definitive example."

So splashes will continue to rise as more go after those few pages and 'run of the mill' pages like that example will stagnate or, dare I say, decline in value :boo:

You should be happy about that! Gives you an opportunity to start picking up more pages at reasonable prices!! (thumbs u

Continuing the trend:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PREACHER-53-pg-13-Steve-DILLON-Garth-ENNIS-Jesse-CUSTER_W0QQitemZ110368493646QQihZ001QQcategoryZ972QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Jesse was in two panels :gossip:lol

It is interesting that it got ZERO bids even though I didn't find it interesting at all. Hopefully, some better examples come to ebay so we can see the values of the truly nice pages!

One very nice page... I literally got home today and saw this on Comicartfans and thought "Why wasn't I notified about this on my emails?" Well, I was. It was only a three day auction and since I was out of town i was lucky to see it as it was ending. I thought I would have a shot at it but it went for a tad more than I am comfortable paying right now. Very solid price. I wonder if it could have gone for more with more time...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Preacher-Original-Comic-Art-Signed-Ennis-Dillon-Sketch_W0QQitemZ190302632192QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item190302632192

I tried bidding on this one but I wasn't too excited about it and with 10 secs left to go, my 499 bid didn't even register. Pretty solid price for an ordinary but decent piece.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Preacher-Original-Comic-Art-Signed-Ennis-Dillon_W0QQitemZ190302634002QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item190302634002

One very nice page... I literally got home today and saw this on Comicartfans and thought "Why wasn't I notified about this on my emails?" Well, I was. It was only a three day auction and since I was out of town i was lucky to see it as it was ending. I thought I would have a shot at it but it went for a tad more than I am comfortable paying right now. Very solid price. I wonder if it could have gone for more with more time...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Preacher-Original-Comic-Art-Signed-Ennis-Dillon-Sketch_W0QQitemZ190302632192QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item190302632192

I tried bidding on this one but I wasn't too excited about it and with 10 secs left to go, my 499 bid didn't even register. Pretty solid price for an ordinary but decent piece.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Preacher-Original-Comic-Art-Signed-Ennis-Dillon_W0QQitemZ190302634002QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item190302634002

I thought the second page was a nice representative example with the three mains. A decent price, especially compared to what people have been asking for pages with any one of the three, let alone all three.

The SoK page really surprised me. A great early example, but 3X the value of the page with the 3 mains? I guess I underestimated the demand for SoK. I'd still love to get one, but the price differential is making it less attractive.