• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

November Heritage Auction = Unbelievable OA offerings

22 posts in this topic

Any thoughts? Quite an auction!

Never seen so much Kirby offered at one single time...

Normally I have about 8 - 9 pieces on my watch list and then bid on one or two.

This time I have 34 pieces on my list and am bidding on 9 :o

The economic downturn in action?

No idea, but I know a LOT of people are watching the auction, not necessarily to bid but to see what the current state of the market is, both the prophets of doom and the Pollyanna's are of course standing by with their spin :cloud9:

I agree that there are some great pieces here.

There's not much evidence that the economic downturn is really hurting the people that can spend multi-thousands on a comic art page. I think the big dollar stuff will continue to go for big dollars.

Most of the pain in my area is related to people that have never had that kind of free cash. I'm more curious to see what happens to the middle-level and lower stuff.

There's not much evidence that the economic downturn is really hurting the people that can spend multi-thousands on a comic art page.

:screwy:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2704333#Post2704333

Geppi's not the only one feeling the pinch these days - I'm one of those who fall in the category you describe above and I'd say I've been plenty affected by this economic downturn. I'm still buying, but I'm being much more selective and will not pay as much as I would have even 2 months ago. Anyone who owns stocks or property has felt pain to some degree lately, to the point where, psychologically, you just don't feel like spending. There's a reason why the markets for fine art, luxury real estate and luxury goods have all stalled (or worse) in recent weeks - it's not just Joe Sixpack and Joe Plumber who aren't spending, it's also Joe Hedge Fund Manager, Joe CEO and Joe Oligarch as well. :eek:

I'm watching about 100 pieces in the Heritage auction but am only seriously thinking about going for two of them. And, whereas I would have "bid to win" six months ago, I'm going to be much more reserved to the point where I suspect I might not win either of them. Six months ago, I probably would have gone for more than just two pieces, as this is truly an excellent group of works that Heritage has assembled. :sorry:

I'm still buying, but I'm being much more selective and will not pay as much as I would have even 2 months ago. Anyone who owns stocks or property has felt pain to some degree lately, to the point where, psychologically, you just don't feel like spending. There's a reason that the markets for fine art, luxury real estate and luxury goods have all stalled (or worse) in recent weeks - it's not just Joe Sixpack and Joe Plumber who aren't spending, it's also Joe Hedge Fund Manager, Joe CEO and Joe Oligarch as well. :eek:

I'm watching about 100 pieces in the Heritage auction but am only seriously thinking about going for two of them. And, whereas I would have "bid to win" six months ago, I'm going to be much more reserved to the point where I suspect I might not win either of them. Six months ago, I probably would have gone for more than just two pieces, as this is truly an excellent group of works that Heritage has assembled. :sorry:

I 100% agree. I am only buying stuff now that I HAVE to have (even though some might say I don't HAVE to have any art!). Many pieces have passed by ebay that I would have considered a couple of months ago but after my portfolio dropped 10% just this month :tonofbricks:, I am being much more selective.

I 100% agree. I am only buying stuff now that I HAVE to have (even though some might say I don't HAVE to have any art!). Many pieces have passed by ebay that I would have considered a couple of months ago but after my portfolio dropped 10% just this month :tonofbricks:, I am being much more selective.

Wow, your portfolio only dropped 10%? You must have a great financial planner or a conservative portfolio. Mine dropped 30%! I'm still buying, my art buying fund and retirement fund are 2 separate budgets.

Malvin

I agree that Heritage has a very nice selection this time around. I'm watching about 15 lots, but only think I will bid on maybe 2 of them. I believe this auction will do well, considering how well the mediocre Surfer Buscema lot is doing on ebay.

I also have to say I have passed on a pile of pages lately, even low end stuff. I passed on a Punisher cover that sold for a measily 400 that I wouldn't have thought twice about buying months ago.

That Magog Ross page from Kingdom Come is just beautiful. Some other amazing stuff in there as well.
I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person once again. The pages are in the Clink auction.

I just hope someone from here ends up with that awesome Adams Batcave page from Batman 232 or that sweet Frazetta page from Heroic Comics.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Definitely some choice pieces. Will be interesting to watch (and bid).

Please don't bid on anything I am watching :wishluck:

Yeah, seriously, Hari, you doctors are the only ones with any money left these days. :P

There's not much evidence that the economic downturn is really hurting the people that can spend multi-thousands on a comic art page.

:screwy:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2704333#Post2704333

Geppi's not the only one feeling the pinch these days - I'm one of those who fall in the category you describe above and I'd say I've been plenty affected by this economic downturn. I'm still buying, but I'm being much more selective and will not pay as much as I would have even 2 months ago. Anyone who owns stocks or property has felt pain to some degree lately, to the point where, psychologically, you just don't feel like spending. There's a reason why the markets for fine art, luxury real estate and luxury goods have all stalled (or worse) in recent weeks - not just Joe Sixpack and Joe Plumber who aren't spending, it's also Joe Hedge Fund Manager, Joe CEO and Joe Oligarch as well. :eek:

I guess I've been somewhat lucky. My retirements acounts have mainly been invested in treasuries for the past 15 years (I know that I accepted subpar returns). I have been a professional (self employed) trader for over 20 years and this year has been very profitable. October has been one of my most profitable month in quite awhile. I hold a fair amount of money in FX and gold that have been marked down but the losses are paltry next to the gains on equities. My home prices have been marked down but they are all paid for and I never have considered them investments so I don't feel any poorer.I am basically just as well off financially (if not better off) than I was last year.

My point is that despite being economically unscathed (to date) I still have no desire to pay up to buy anything. Overall I am looking at fewer items to purchase. I carefully consider the value of the offering before making bids. Perhaps I worry about my economic future? Perhaps I worry about "our" economic future? Perhaps I don't want to feel I overpaid for items that I could have ultimately purchased much cheaper? Twenty plus years of buying and selling, and attempting not to overpay, is problably ingrained into who I am?