• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A List of Unrestored Action 1's and their Owners

104 posts in this topic

CT is primarily reversible depending on the method used for applying the color. If it's ink and bleeds through it's not coming out without some kind of reasonably objectionable process (from a conservation standpoint). Removal of almost any type of color touch is likely to result in some paper loss or loss of quality to the paper surface.

Water based cleaning will likely change the size of the book and will definitely negatively impact the sizing/gloss. Even among collectors who are interested in collecting restored copies there is a considerable minority that does not like the look and feel of cleaned covers. This treatment is not preservation nor conservation though it may make the book look much better.

Hey Adam, don't mean to keep counter posting, not trying to be all combative on ya.. :kidaround:

While I agree with you if CT is applied with a marker..forget it. It's set in and unless you cut out the entire area from the cover it will always stay there. But it is possible to remove CT successfully without paper degradation(GA more so then SA) Again it depends on how/what was applied, and where it is on the book.

OK, so that was not exactly combative..

I do kind of disagree with you on the wet wash though. When a cover is washed you are washing away harmful as well as vital elements of the comic cover. But you should also be re introducing sizing and buffering agents as part of the washing process (which is a good thing)

I have seen and felt enough of the types of over washed covers you mentioned.. they can feel threadbare, rough and just plain washed out. But the washing process Matt taught me is designed to make the cover feel as natural as possible after being washed and in many cases breathes new life into an old, long in the toothe cover. Heck, I could send you a few washed covers so you can check them out if you care to.

The only problem you mentioned that remains is shrinkage. :pullhair: It can be problematic, but not insurmountable.

It's not "counter posting" -- it's just a conversation. (thumbs u

Regarding removal of color touch, I doubt you can remove it with out it being noticeable under magnification. That is, if you remove any paper fiber or gloss at all then that particular technique can only be almost entirely reversed rather than be "completely reversible." Picky, I agree, but there are those that care about such small things.

I'm aware of the approach of re-sizing following wet wash. It reminds of someone trying to fix a problem with an antique chair where they ruin the finish and so strip and re-finish it. You lose something when you replace the original varnish/patina and you lose something from the comic when you injure the sizing and recreate it with a process different than that used at the printer. Unlike a color touch you can't really ignore the washing by squinting or putting your finger over it. Washing has changed the original look of the front and back over.

Oh I agree and it is not picky at all, you can never totally remove CT 100% To the naked eye it might look fine but as you said look at it through a loupe and you will see embedded bits here and there. Thats why I never liked the term "resto removal" it's never totally removed unless you take paper off with it. I guess when I said you can remove it safely sometimes, I meant you dont have to overly destroy the cover to get most of it off.

And again, if you are washing a cover you are obviously doing so for a reason(remove stains/tape whatever) and yes I agree it is changed. But that does mean it has to look like dogmeat either. That was more my point, a washed cover does not have to look or feel washed. Many do and that I imagine is partially why people abhor it.

Been fun, thanks for the conversation. Back to work for me.

later

I take it you guys think that Daryl Grimes' Action 1 would not be blue label?
is that the one in the PGX holder that has tear seal and cleaning (shrug) if so, then it would not make a blue holder CGC...but, that doesn't mean it is any less cool of a book (thumbs u