• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay - comiczoo warehouse breakin

84 posts in this topic

Ask them to send you a copy of the police report...

:whistle:

What's that smell???

definately ask for the police report, it doesn`t take much effort for him to scan and email you it. then you will have peace of mind. think about all your fellow comic collectors who bought off them.you will be doing them a good service.

I'm not sure who comic-zoo is but beware. Too good to be true deals out of NY have fraud written on them. There are credible sellers there but Danny Dupcake and Paul Candela are out there as well. Don't forget about Greg Jorner, alleged scam artist.

I sold a pretty big book recently through the boards a while back. Turned out the book was altered and switched within the holder. The book came from an auction by comic*seller who was either linked to or formerly was gio72 on the boards. Payment went to Paul Candela.

After I sold the book it changed hands several times and finally ended up at CGC for a reholder. CGC figured something was up and investigated.

Turned out that Paul Candela had put a lower grade copy into the holder and then auctioned off the book that was in the holder as a higher grade book on Ebay.

Go figure.

meh

Beware.

R.

Greg is not from NY, thank goodness. he's from Connecticut,or so he claims, gotta leave US some pride;) His partner is from Queens;) and I know at least 3 honest boarders who live in Queens... :baiting:

Ask them to send you a copy of the police report...

:whistle:

What's that smell???

definately ask for the police report, it doesn`t take much effort for him to scan and email you it. then you will have peace of mind. think about all your fellow comic collectors who bought off them.you will be doing them a good service.

Remember, you have the power of the comics community behind you. It's a powerful thing.

I received the same message after winning one of their auctions last night (a beautiful JLA #9 9.0 WP :pullhair: ).

A few months back, they had a huge lot of mostly high-grade CGC books listed on eBay. The bidding ended at around 57K, which didn't meet their reserve. I promptly sent a message to see if they were entertaining offers, but said I would like to speak to someone personally and arrange for pickup if we could work out a deal. I made a relatively substantial offer, which was politely declined.

I still wanted to speak to someone personally, and was willing to raise my offer if they would give me some idea of what they were looking to get for the lot (which included an AF 15 and 2 ASM #1's in mid-grade, along with many other nice, HG books). After another attempt or two, they told me that they decided to break the lot up and piece it out on eBay. After some thought I started to wonder why they didn't want to have any contact other than the eBay message system, as I left multiple phone numbers (they wouldn't even supply an e-mail address).

This is to let everyone know that in my opinion something is not right with these guys. They did sell some books a few weeks back, because I've been following their listings. For you detectives out there, if it's any help, they also had an SUV listed at that time. I wonder if that was used as the "getaway" car?

I'm not sure who comic-zoo is but beware. Too good to be true deals out of NY have fraud written on them. There are credible sellers there but Danny Dupcake and Paul Candela are out there as well. Don't forget about Greg Jorner, alleged scam artist.

I sold a pretty big book recently through the boards a while back. Turned out the book was altered and switched within the holder. The book came from an auction by comic*seller who was either linked to or formerly was gio72 on the boards. Payment went to Paul Candela.

After I sold the book it changed hands several times and finally ended up at CGC for a reholder. CGC figured something was up and investigated.

Turned out that Paul Candela had put a lower grade copy into the holder and then auctioned off the book that was in the holder as a higher grade book on Ebay.

Go figure.

meh

Beware.

R.

Which book was it? If you're going to tell folks to beware, it might help to describe the actual book involved in the scam.

I don't think the book is that important though it was a fairly substantial book.

The holder DID look like it was tampered with if you looked close but most people would not look for it.

It was noticed that the edges were glued upon close inspection.

In any case I would not think it's that big of a problem but this is another case for having posted grading notes by CGC on a website, so that books can be "identified" within their holders.

In this case, CGC was able to document that the book was not the correct book in the holder BECAUSE the grading notes did not match up. Sure, the grade of the book in the well was the first flag, but the notes allowed them to substantiate or quantify their case and prove fraud beyond a shadow of a doubt.

R.

Go figure.

meh

Beware.

R.

This is news to me. Are you saying that a book can be inserted in a holder and it won't show signs that the holder has been tampered with?

More stuff I didn`t know about, I keep on learning. I have noticed this a lot. where I look at books that say 9.4 or 9.6 and I see a big crease or lots of chipping on them and I say to myself what a crummy looking book this is for a 9.4 or 9.6 ! something doesn`t seem right about this comic ! no way its a 9.4 or 9.6. I guess I will invest in a magnifying glass and blacklight now.

Does anyone know if CGC keeps a photo of the book in their file before they send it out? (shrug) If not, might be more necessary if more fraud of this nature turns up...

The do not scan all books.

This was something Brad (Redhook) talked about doing for them a few years ago when the Ewert story broke. I don't think they every followed up on it.

R.

is this the same seller that tried to sell a huge lot of hg slabs as one lot on ebay recently?

Comic-zoo is, but I'm not sure what their link is to my story...although I vaguely remember someone alluding to or posting that they might be a front for DD/restored books but I can't remember how they came to that conclusion or if it was ever proven.

R.

is this the same seller that tried to sell a huge lot of hg slabs as one lot on ebay recently?

Comic-zoo is, but I'm not sure what their link is to my story...although I vaguely remember someone alluding to or posting that they might be a front for DD/restored books but I can't remember how they came to that conclusion or if it was ever proven.

R.

Some of the books in that lot auction were identified in robos auctions later. Ithink some of the same books were identified in a huge collection on craigslist as well. Im sure robo has other "buying" IDs on ebay so comiczoo could have sold to him unknowingly but alot of coincidences going on.

I also emailed comic-zoo in the past about certain posts and replies were cryptic. Very sheltered and private.

You'd think that someone sitting on $100,000 books for sale would be motivated to sell but I got the feeling they were being very...secretive.

I can't prove anything...just a gut feeling.

R.

I have a vested interest in seeing this police report, so please ask for one and post it or PM it to me :wishluck:

OK, so I bit and asked him for the police report. Here's the response:

Thank you for your response but there are some sensitive informations on the report that we can not share with the buyers. This is as a result of allowing buyers to pick up the comics in person so we are not sure who did it. faxing you a report will hurt the investigation. But i promise to keep you posted on the result of the investigation. I don't know if you remember , we had most of these books in a lot on ebay several weeks and we had people coming from all over to see them in person. We decided then not to allow pick ups then we received many emails from potential buyers that did not feel confortable spending thousands of dollars without seeing the books in person and we allowed pick ups and few weeks later, here what happened. So don't worry , you will see everything once the investigation is completed. We do have many more books in other locations that we are planning to sell as soon as possible. If you decide to shop with us again , please remind us to give you a 10% off your wins for the whole ordeal. Once again , sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you

- comiczoo-com

I saw their SS 4 sell for short money last night. Wonder if the winner will get the same message hm

actually almost pulled the trigger on that book, and their ASM 1 cgc 5.5 I believe it was.... too bad if they did get ripped off.