• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Good News --- Kids Really DO Still Love Comics!!!

36 posts in this topic

I am an exterminator by trade,and I go to several hundred homes a month.There's this one kid who I am so fond of,he's 8 years old and has cancer.I noticed from treating his room for ants that he loved spider-man.I told him that I collect comics too,and we started talking about all the villians his favorite (of course)was Venom.The only thing was he could'nt get to the comicbook store because of his disease,and I'm sure mom was a bit overprotective as well.I told him I go every wednesday and that I'll buy his two favs Amazing Spider-man and Ult. spiderman and a few other titles,so every week I would buy his comics and leave them at his doorstep.Well this week I recieved horrible news when I came to leave his books ,he had passed away last tuesday.I just hope I gave him some some kind of joy,keeping his mind away from that horrible disease.

Thats really sad news. I bet he did enjoy reading them and having some way to pass the time. Things like this are really difficult on the parents as well as the kids, but hopefully the comics gave him something to take his mind of the situation at hand and make his final days more enjoyable. I think it is really cool that you did this for the boy.

Kids didn't outgrow comics, comics outgrew kids.

I half agree. The "standard titles are more complex to follow, but others are great for kids. Mostly the Marvel Adventures, and the Cartoon Network inspired DC lines are great for kids, and keep that appeal for younger kids. Also the DC's basically co-exist with the cartoons that are still on. Once they hit 12 or so, it is time to move up to the big leagues.

I think doug did the right thing by throwing back some older readers, they have appeal to kids. They are cool stories, easy to follow, and have good art. If he had thrown back a bunch of moderns they would have been lost as every title has some crazy storyline, and less of the old "one and done".

Kids didn't outgrow comics, comics outgrew kids.

I half agree. The "standard titles are more complex to follow, but others are great for kids. Mostly the Marvel Adventures, and the Cartoon Network inspired DC lines are great for kids, and keep that appeal for younger kids. Also the DC's basically co-exist with the cartoons that are still on. Once they hit 12 or so, it is time to move up to the big leagues.

I think doug did the right thing by throwing back some older readers, they have appeal to kids. They are cool stories, easy to follow, and have good art. If he had thrown back a bunch of moderns they would have been lost as every title has some crazy storyline, and less of the old "one and done".

could be price, what is it now $4.99 for a brand new comic?

$2.99, some are $3.99. But give me a break. Parents cant spring $20.00 a week for kids comics? How much are coffees from the chain stores, or lunch at McDonalds? It always amazes me that people have money for the most wasteful items, but when it comes to something that is educational for their kids it is such a waste or too expensive. I would be thrilled if my son takes up reading comics, it is something I always enjoyed. The benefits.. Stronger imagination, better reading and comprehension skill, better spelling, good moral lessons, more exposure to art, and if they get into collecting a stronger sense of the value of a dollar.

In the end the kids win. The smarter kids are the better off they will be.

I half agree. The "standard titles are more complex to follow, but others are great for kids. Mostly the Marvel Adventures, and the Cartoon Network inspired DC lines are great for kids, and keep that appeal for younger kids.

doh!

That has nothing to do with it, and many 80's comics are written better than today's low-brow slosh. It's not "outgrew" in a positive sense, but more that Modern comics are priced, targeted, distributed, and conceived towards the aging adult nerd who's been reading comics since they were young. Marvel, DC et al would rather sell $4.99 pamphlets to the 25-50 year old demographic, so the market outgrew children and teens.

Kids have no interest in a lame Skrull BA retcon that requires you to have read the last 25-30 years of continuity.

$2.99, some are $3.99. But give me a break. Parents cant spring $20.00 a week for kids comics? How much are coffees from the chain stores, or lunch at McDonalds? It always amazes me that people have money for the most wasteful items, but when it comes to something that is educational for their kids it is such a waste or too expensive. I would be thrilled if my son takes up reading comics, it is something I always enjoyed. The benefits.. Stronger imagination, better reading and comprehension skill, better spelling, good moral lessons, more exposure to art, and if they get into collecting a stronger sense of the value of a dollar.

I know alot of people who dont have 20$ for gas to get to work right now let alone pay all their bills. Not alot of room for comics in a buget like that. When i was real young thats how it was for me too. I sold my lunch at school to buy comics. Comics are too expensive for kids these days imo.

I am an exterminator by trade,and I go to several hundred homes a month.There's this one kid who I am so fond of,he's 8 years old and has cancer.I noticed from treating his room for ants that he loved spider-man.I told him that I collect comics too,and we started talking about all the villians his favorite (of course)was Venom.The only thing was he could'nt get to the comicbook store because of his disease,and I'm sure mom was a bit overprotective as well.I told him I go every wednesday and that I'll buy his two favs Amazing Spider-man and Ult. spiderman and a few other titles,so every week I would buy his comics and leave them at his doorstep.Well this week I recieved horrible news when I came to leave his books ,he had passed away last tuesday.I just hope I gave him some some kind of joy,keeping his mind away from that horrible disease.

Nice guy, you have a big heart. :shy:

I half agree. The "standard titles are more complex to follow, but others are great for kids. Mostly the Marvel Adventures, and the Cartoon Network inspired DC lines are great for kids, and keep that appeal for younger kids.

doh!

That has nothing to do with it, and many 80's comics are written better than today's low-brow slosh. It's not "outgrew" in a positive sense, but more that Modern comics are priced, targeted, distributed, and conceived towards the aging adult nerd who's been reading comics since they were young. Marvel, DC et al would rather sell $4.99 pamphlets to the 25-50 year old demographic, so the market outgrew children and teens.

Kids have no interest in a lame Skrull BA retcon that requires you to have read the last 25-30 years of continuity.

Wow. You basically added some negatives while agreeing with what I said about moderns.

Check please.

I know alot of people who dont have 20$ for gas to get to work right now let alone pay all their bills. Not alot of room for comics in a buget like that. When i was real young thats how it was for me too. I sold my lunch at school to buy comics. Comics are too expensive for kids these days imo.

This I can understand. And I know plenty who are in pizz-poor positions right now also. This would not be the average person I am talking about. But I really wasnt trying to discuss current economic standing as this is something that still has only been prevelant for about 18-20 months to where it has been troublesome.

if its 20 bucks a week I am spending it on a videogame where as they can get hours of enjoyment not just a hour.

if its 20 bucks a week I am spending it on a videogame where as they can get hours of enjoyment not just a hour.

meh

doh!

I bet the comic shop retailers buy at least 75 percent of the runs, example. Final Crisis has sales of 100,000 comics which at least 75,000 thousand are bought by retailers.A great majority of these will probally end up in the dollar bin. Also who knows what percentage of that 75,000 are bought by the big boys Mile High,Lone Starcomics,DCBS, etc...? so comic sales/readership are probally even lower than we think.

I love how we are adult nerds. Maybe I should watch football get drunk and beat my wife and kids for not listening. Maybe I can throw a DWI/DUI in there. Maybe I could just pizz my cash away on flat screens and hum-vees. Or maybe I should just spend all my cash going out to bars with my friends and remembering how cool we were in our HS years. Effin' BS.

Some guys on here should really practice not being so insulting towards collectors. Regardless of what anyone thinks of the hobby and its people, offending me with such comments would be a very uneasy experience.

Awesome story, reminds me how much Ellen enjoys the old adds like we all did.

She recently asked if we could buy the monkey that was for sale in an old comic I gave her.

Can you imagine getting a monkey in the mail?

Here's one person's that did link

I grabbed it by its tail, and it came down on, starting literally up by my shoulder, like a drill press it landed on my arm, and every bite was breaking flesh. It was literally like an unsewing machine. It was literally unsewing my arm coming down, and I was pouring blood.