• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Good News --- Kids Really DO Still Love Comics!!!

36 posts in this topic

I enjoyed a nice moment today, and thought I would share with you all . . . :hi:

My son, Jack, just turned 9. He invited 3 of his best buddies to his birthday party today, which had me driving the 4 boys to a great "fun zone" that is about an hour away from home. At 11am, they piled into the car with me and we took off --- if you haven't been in the presence of 4 boys this age, it's amazing. They are at a really fun age. Full of energy, very inquisitive, but still innocent. They are also very much part of the "wired" generation. Among them, they were toting 2 Nintendo DS systems and a PSP to kill time on the ride.

But, I had yet to unleash my secret weapon. On a hunch, I grabbed a fistful of reader comics on my way out the door. They were mostly Bronze/Copper :some Marvel Team-Ups and Two-in-Ones, FFs, Avengers, etc. As we pulled out of the driveway, I tossed the stack into the back seat. Well, the kids didn't even reach for the video games during the whole drive. What a treat, to look in the rear-view and see their noses buried in the old, pulpy pages! :cloud9:

They were asking me who some of the B-list heroes and villains were. They wanted to know why these comics only cost 25¢ or 30¢. They giggled at the old ads for bodybuilding and x-ray specs. One boy asked why Doc Doom always wore the mask. Another wondered aloud why Johnny Storm's uniform didn't burn up.

But, mostly, they just read these great old stories in the very same way I would lose myself in comic books in the backseat of my Dad's old wagon. Some things really never change, and I could see myself in Jack in a way that made this overgrown 9-year old proud . . . :headbang:

that is a fantastic story!

my kids have caught the bug too. My eight year old loves Iron Man. I haven't told him yet that I recently bought a TOS 39. I'm going to let him open the package.

(and tell him it will be his one day)

:banana:

my kids have caught the bug too. My eight year old loves Iron Man. I haven't told him yet that I recently bought a TOS 39. I'm going to let him open the package.

i could be up for adoption hm

i could be up for adoption hm

dad, dad is that you? :signfunny:

Those older comics were published for kids thats why they liked them. If they had been new comics I bet they wouldnt have gotten as much joy out of them.

just my opinion.

I agree with you 100%, actually. Very few new releases these days would appeal to kids that age. And, most couldn't afford them, either. It's a shame, really.

Awesome story, reminds me how much Ellen enjoys the old adds like we all did.

She recently asked if we could buy the monkey that was for sale in an old comic I gave her.

Can you imagine getting a monkey in the mail?

Wait, thats not some kind of euphamisum is it? :eek:

I think one reason why kids don`t read comics like they use to is there afraid to touch them. I remember I went to this small town comic show in my area about a year ago.I brought my 7 year old son,my 2 nephews and thier friends.my first comic con in 16 years, one of my nephews went to touch this dealers brand new x-men comic,he started yelling at the kids don`t touch the comics! if you damaged them they won`t be worth any money! I will make you pay for them! what a sour puss,this was a brand new generic mutant book. well guess what? the kids had about 50 dollars on them each, they didn`t buy one comic at the con but spent it across the street at a barnes and noble on manga.They could actually flip thru manga at barnes and noble without getting yelled at by a crumb bum. When we were kids we read them and didn`t immediately bag,board and hoard them. One of my nephews said he will stick to playing the superheroes videogames as he doesn`t have to worry about bending the videogame.

I think one reason why kids don`t read comics like they use to is there afraid to touch them. I remember I went to this small town comic show in my area about a year ago.I brought my 7 year old son,my 2 nephews and thier friends.my first comic con in 16 years, one of my nephews went to touch this dealers brand new x-men comic,he started yelling at the kids don`t touch the comics! if you damaged them they won`t be worth any money! I will make you pay for them! what a sour puss,this was a brand new generic mutant book. well guess what? the kids had about 50 dollars on them each, they didn`t buy one comic at the con but spent it across the street at a barnes and noble on manga.They could actually flip thru manga at barnes and noble without getting yelled at by a crumb bum. When we were kids we read them and didn`t immediately bag,board and hoard them. One of my nephews said he will stick to playing the superheroes videogames as he doesn`t have to worry about bending the videogame.

Flipside to this story and kudos to a great dealer:

I took my friend's 11 year old to the local convention. Steve Wyatt, on discovering it was his first convention, gave him five books of his choice from the dollar bins. He also let us open up and ogle a Spiderman 1 he had for sale. (Although I did all the touching of that book.)

My neighbor's kid is a huge superhero fan. He's only five or six, but whenever I get appropriate extra books, they go over the fence to him. He just got a stack of Batman Adventures and Richie Riches.

I am an exterminator by trade,and I go to several hundred homes a month.There's this one kid who I am so fond of,he's 8 years old and has cancer.I noticed from treating his room for ants that he loved spider-man.I told him that I collect comics too,and we started talking about all the villians his favorite (of course)was Venom.The only thing was he could'nt get to the comicbook store because of his disease,and I'm sure mom was a bit overprotective as well.I told him I go every wednesday and that I'll buy his two favs Amazing Spider-man and Ult. spiderman and a few other titles,so every week I would buy his comics and leave them at his doorstep.Well this week I recieved horrible news when I came to leave his books ,he had passed away last tuesday.I just hope I gave him some some kind of joy,keeping his mind away from that horrible disease.