• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Making genuine friendships on the boards

94 posts in this topic

In todays information age, sometimes we get to "know" alot of people through chat boards such as this, without ever seeing, meeting or even talking on the phone. We all have our own circle of friends here on the forums, guys we PM regularly, or make snide remarks in their posts or better yet even :baiting: them but how many of these "friendships" extend into real life?

I personally feel like their is at least a dozen guys from the boards whom I've met, who I'm pretty sure I could hang out with for a weekend and not even talk comics...although the subject always comes up :)

Anyways I want to relay a personal story about one such friend, Doc Watson. Most people on here see him as a smartazz and the "most insensitive, sensitive person on the planet" and that is true but he is also a genuine human being. Since the summer, we've hung out three different weekends, he's had meals with both my wife and children on numerous occasions and we talk on the phone quite a bit. My friend with whom I was his best man, and he for me, lives 25 minutes away from me and in that same span since last June, we've talked twice on the phone and haven't been able to connect for a lunch because of our "schedules". So what I'm saying is that this hobby and these boards, can bring like minded individuals and create real friendships, people you would not have met under any other circumstance, it's not as anonymous as some may think.

Now for the point of my story in the first place. I mentioned to Doc in a conversation that Boo Berry cereal was my absolute favourite as a child and I haven't seen if for sale here in Canada for at least 25 years. Well what arrives at my doorstep today, a shipping box and inside was five boxes of Boo Berry cereal, with no want for reimbursement for let alone the $30 in shipping costs never mind the cereal.

whitemountains-1.jpg

Thank you my friend (worship)

Jim

Is it too late to profess my love for Booberry too? hm

Or an amazing Spiderman pinball machine fan? :baiting:

Actually I already got a pinball and I was a Count Chocula and Fruit Loops fan :insane:

Great story, and I'm sure it yours is not the only one that has occurred here and its nice to hear stories like this (and hopefully some others) especially with the Holiday Gift Exchange coming up.

Just remember, Jim, that half of this genuine friendship that you are speaking of is you. (thumbs u

This is an awesome story.

Unfortunately, I'm totally distracted by that Spidey Pinball machine. Can I say badass on the boards? Because that thing is AWESOME.

So congrats on your serial, I guess. But yanno... more congrats on the pinball machine.

--

Seriously, I think there's some genuinely great people on these boards. It's funny how some of them turn out to be in your own backyard too!

Great story. I never thought I would enjoy this manner of communication and I never ever thought I could get a real feel for a personality through a bulletin board and typed conversation but I've changed my mind. I really enjoy hanging out here and would love to meet many of the members I've encountered.

As I also live in Canada I have never had a chance to try poo berry ...ah boo hairy cereal. Looks like a trip to Chicago next year for a little cereal and comic buying would be in order.

Great story. I never thought I would enjoy this manner of communication and I never ever thought I could get a real feel for a personality through a bulletin board and typed conversation but I've changed my mind. I really enjoy hanging out here and would love to meet many of the members I've encountered.

As I also live in Canada I have never had a chance to try poo berry ...ah boo hairy cereal. Looks like a trip to Chicago next year for a little cereal and comic buying would be in order.

mapquest Edmonton to Mississippi, and you'll start looking for different new friends. :baiting: