• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

And the reserves are in!

115 posts in this topic

Anyone else surprised by the reserve on some of the art? I wish I had grabbed some of the prices before the reserves were in just to see how differnet the bids were from the reserve.

Spiderman 6, Ditko $18.9k, I actually think it is a pretty nice page

Warlord cover $9k

Jack Davis art, $2k, I was considering this one but not at $2k

Batman 56 art, $50k, WOW, a lot, but that is 5k per page, maybe a little agressive but I would guess the splash by itself could bring $10k and somewhere between 4k and 5k for each of the other pages.

Surprised, no I was expecting high reserves.

The Warlord cover was at $2600 ($3100 with the vig) last time I checked before the reserves hit. I wasn't tracking the others, so I can't help.

Surprised, no I was expecting high reserves.

The Warlord cover was at $2600 ($3100 with the vig) last time I checked before the reserves hit. I wasn't tracking the others, so I can't help.

I can't remember all the prices but I thought the Ditko was at about $10k, Batman was around $20k, and Jack Davis was at about $600 or so.

I did note down the prices on the art I was interested in just before the reserves were posted...and let's say "I'm surprised" :roflmao:

A few examples

Jack Kirby and Chic Stone Fantastic Four Annual #2 Dr. Doom and Rama Tut Time-Travel Paradox page 5

Price was $3,346.00 and now Heritage has bumped up the price so the next bidder will meet the reserve..which is $16,730.00 hm

Jack Kirby and Joe Sinnott Fantastic Four #5 Dr. Doom page 5 Original Art (Marvel, 1962)

Price was $19,120.00 and now Heritage has bumped up the price so the next bidder will meet the reserve..which is $25,000.00 hm hm

Wally Wood If Magazine V15 #9 September 1965, Science Fiction Illustration Original Art

Price was $657.25 and now Heritage has bumped up the price so the next bidder will meet the reserve..which is $1,195.00 hm hm hm

Graham Ingels Crime SuspenStories #15 Old Witch page 7 Original Art (EC, 1953)

Price was $418.25 and now Heritage has bumped up the price so the next bidder will meet the reserve..which is $1,553.50 hm hm hm hm

hertitage from day one told me then run up the bids to just under the reserves. make me all warm and fuzzy thinking about it.

and richard, sorry i didn't know you were leaving the show so soon! didn't get a chance to say hi! i just assumed i would see you over the next several days.

say anyone know a insufficiently_thoughtful_person named morotto from vegas?

If I were Heritage I would call all the consigners and tell them to lower their reserves. Even though they take it out of the seller's end as well, why should Heritage waive their BP?? Some of these reserves are downright ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong. This Heritage auction has a great deal of top-notch art and is one of the strongest OA offerings in a long time. I just dont feel that there are enough collectors willing to pull the trigger at these price levels. We will see Saturday.

Then again, I was offered several high end pieces that now have reserves in this auction several months ago from the seller/consignor. One piece is now reserved 5k lower than the best price I could negotiate and one is 9k lower. And one is 5k lower than the price I offered!!! Interesting that he wouldn't just offer them again to me (or others). But, it may be the case that Heritage had already beaten him up over reserves after the pieces showed up. I feel that all three pieces have a good shot at selling now by the way.

And, there are several pieces I am tracking that have no reserves but are already too rich for me.... Yaaack. Anyway, I too think that Heritage is not going to cut it's premiums, because they need to run their business, but if a seller is sticking to a high reserve he may be punished this time around.... not totally blaming the economy either (although my personal economy is up), but mid Nov. is a terrible time to try and find free money floating around. Most collectors with families have holiday obligations that supercede.... I know I do.

The FF #5 page has met reserve -- which is of no surprise -- since that was one of, if not the strongest, Kirby offering of the bunch.

DF - I also find it surprising that the consignor dropped his reserves to far less than he was willing to take not too long ago. That is also strange that he would pass on an offer from you 5K more than his current reserve. Perhaps he needs the money now and you needed time payments or some other scenario that didn't work for him?

Economic slowdown or not, I do believe that collectors will always find the money for the art they're looking for, but that list is probably much shorter than it used to be.

For as timid as I currently am to pull the trigger on anything right now, if the right Kirby or Ditko piece was offered to me at the right price, I would find the money.

Since we are on the subject, I might as well pimp a bit, some reserves are very reasonable, such as a piece I am consigning:

Alex Ross Wonder Woman DPS

A page direct from Alex's rep will be at least 6-8K, so a 4K reserve is very resonable. If you wanted an Alex Ross piece, this is a great chance!

Wonder Woman pages direct from Alex Ross

Malvin