• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

And the reserves are in!

115 posts in this topic

I bid on that Wildey Sgt. Rock splash, but didn't want it bad enough to buy it, despite it being pretty cheap. I'm kind of shocked at the prices on the two Tuska/Craig IM 18 pages. The auction isn't over for them, and they are 1k+ already...I expected 800 ea, but what do ya know? :)

By the way, did anybody who follows the comic book market come away with any opinions on that side of the street?

Comics did very well, particularly the really premium books.

Disney-related books were particularly strong and set records everywhere. WDC&S #1 in CGC 9.4 went for over $116K, FC 9 for over $30K, FC 16 over $60K and FC 29 almost $20K.

I track a lot of books, especially those in other than super-hero genres and I didn't see any bargains. Prices were what I would have expected if there had been no financial crisis. Gaines copies that were reserved high didn't sell but that's a occurrence for every Heritage auction. I think it's company policy.

Gaines copies that were reserved high didn't sell but that's a occurrence for every Heritage auction. I think it's company policy.

I think Jim Halperin would fall over in disbelief if all the Gaines copies ever sold at their reserves.

Which FF 63 page did people like the best...the closed pretty close in price.

p 9 - 14,340

p10 - 17.925

p 11 - 16,730

p 12 - 16,730

I was pretty interested in the page 12. The "IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME" panel was the clincher for me. If I had seen that page at a dealers booth for it's hammer price, I bet I would have bought it.

Oh, and even the Neal Adams Avengers page was a surprise for me! People who know what I collect know that I love Adams Avengers, and know the market pretty well. If you had told me that a page that that did not have a single Avenger on it (but rather featured Rick Jones---RICK effing JONES!!!) would go for 3.8k, i would have said you were nuts! That's a STRONG price.

Anyone ever try to deal with Jim Halperin? I tried to pick up a piece off his website www.jhalpe.com. His prices were astronomical and his response to his pricing above Heritage was "he didn't want to sell at auction-like prices"

:)

If you look at his stuff, you can definitely see where a lot of the Heritage auction stuff comes from.

I think the auction went about how I thought it would - there were some strong prices, some not so strong prices and some Reserve Not Mets. I'm not really sure what some of you guys were expecting to see this early in the economic downturn. Main Street only really took notice of this financial crisis around September when it really started hitting the fan, and we're all of 2 1/2 months into a recession in this country with the possibility/probability that things are going to get a lot worse and last a very long time before it's all over. It may take a while longer for behavioral patterns to change in our lower-end hobby, but that doesn't mean it's immune to what's going on. :(

So, comic OA survived the first round without much damage. Great, but the fight has hardly begun. Also, these high prices are a two-sided coin - somebody was selling at those prices as well as buying. We will only know in hindsight who got the better of whom. (shrug)

Anyhow, I have a pretty substantial OA collection and would be happy to see prices at least maintain their value. I just don't think it's going to happen given how I see the future unfolding. But, heck, if this market is as strong as you guys say, feel free to throw some of those "record" offers my way (seriously)! Anyway, good luck to everyone. And, don't worry too much - if I end up being right, you can always petition the government to bail out your losses. lol

Gaines copies that were reserved high didn't sell but that's a occurrence for every Heritage auction. I think it's company policy.

I think Jim Halperin would fall over in disbelief if all the Gaines copies ever sold at their reserves.

lol

I'm guessing they've sold about 10% of the Gaines File copies they've listed with reserves.

They had a 9.6 copy of Weird Fantasy in this auction with a "Buy It Now" price of $5975 (the guide price is $825)!! :screwy: Why continue to put them in the auction knowing that no one is going to win them?

I'm guessing they've sold about 10% of the Gaines File copies they've listed with reserves.

They had a 9.6 copy of Weird Fantasy in this auction with a "Buy It Now" price of $5975 (the guide price is $825)!! :screwy: Why continue to put them in the auction knowing that no one is going to win them?

This is something people have been asking for the last 5-6 years. I can remember how impressed people were when the first few Heritage catalogs came out and they saw all those gorgeous Gaines ECs. Obviously the novelty has worn off.

I guess they help to fill up their catalogs, and enough sell each time (such as Zaid`s purchase of a 9.8 Mad #1) to make it worthwhile to continue listing them.

So, comic OA survived the first round without much damage. Great, but the fight has hardly begun. Also, these high prices are a two-sided coin - somebody was selling at those prices as well as buying. We will only know in hindsight who got the better of whom. (shrug)

Anyhow, I have a pretty substantial OA collection and would be happy to see prices at least maintain their value. I just don't think it's going to happen given how I see the future unfolding. But, heck, if this market is as strong as you guys say, feel free to throw some of those "record" offers my way

Much 'damage'? Uh.... I don't think 'damage' is the right word for what I saw yesterday.

I will gladly help you convert your Daredevil pages back into cash if you're really that worried about the market. But then, you're not really looking to get out. You're looking for record prices on your stuff.

Judge people by their actions, not their words.

'judge people by their actions not their words'...... how true. I have said for years that this hobby has a 'funny' element who continually talk down the hobby yet at the same time continue to buy. Some of the loudest complainers are the biggest buyers... it has always been thus. If someone really thought the OA market was heading down then they would sell. Period. I don't care how rich you are or think you are, no one likes to throw away money. The rest is just talky talk.

I am tired of the "dele-dribble". Dele you are the "aniti-KK". We pretty much know what you are going to say before you say it so why bother. As far as I can tell you've been buying into the downturn. So either you don't believe your own dribble or you have an agenda or a problem.

I think the auction went about how I thought it would - there were some strong prices, some not so strong prices and some Reserve Not Mets. I'm not really sure what some of you guys were expecting to see this early in the economic downturn. Main Street only really took notice of this financial crisis around September when it really started hitting the fan, and we're all of 2 1/2 months into a recession in this country with the possibility/probability that things are going to get a lot worse and last a very long time before it's all over. It may take a while longer for behavioral patterns to change in our lower-end hobby, but that doesn't mean it's immune to what's going on. :(

Anyhow, I have a pretty substantial OA collection and would be happy to see prices at least maintain their value. I just don't think it's going to happen given how I see the future unfolding. But, heck, if this market is as strong as you guys say, feel free to throw some of those "record" offers my way (seriously)! Anyway, good luck to everyone. And, don't worry too much - if I end up being right, you can always petition the government to bail out your losses. lol

Did anyone see what did the Kirby FF 5 page, - $38,837

Avengers 1 page - $34,000 range (yes, we know, insane)

and the X-men 1 pages go for? pg 14 - $10,157 and page 16 $18,522

Cheers, Clem

Joseph

When did Avengers 1 pages get so expensive? 7 years ago, I bought 3 good Avengers 1 pages for

$2700 each. $34,000 for that page is silly.

Stephen

Stephen; Yes, a high price indeed....didn't you know comic art years are like dog years; 7 years in comic art is like 50 regular years.... on a different note- I figured you as a player on one of the Fine covers.... did you dig deep for one of those beauts? Dan