• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What I gained from the pressing thread

437 posts in this topic

I thought about both you and Drew.

Together or just one at a time? :baiting:

Chris and Drew did room together in Chicago. hm

Side-stepping the question I see. I might have to get Zaid on this thread to question you further.

:hi:

That will not be necessary.

An interrogation by Mark Zaid is like being probe by aliens. It sounds really interesting at first, but then you realize that you won't remember anything at all and the only thing you will be left with is sore.

I thought about both of them individually at different times.

That will not be necessary.

An interrogation by Mark Zaid is like being probe by aliens. It sounds really interesting at first, but then you realize that you won't remember anything at all and the only thing you will be left with is sore.

I thought about both of them individually at different times.

Did you think about being interrogated by Zaid, or being probed by aliens first?

So in laymans term for a rookie like me. Do not spend exhorbitant amount of money for a 9.6 instead get a 9.2 or 9.4,take it out of 9.2 holder then go get it pressed and send it back and thier I got a 9.6 at a much cheaper price or am I missing something here? It can`t be that easy.

From the sidelines that seems like common sense.

I can't remember any Gamer posting why they're happy to pay hundreds or thousands for a after-the-fact $50 press job. Sort of like a pyramid scheme, wouldn't it be best to take first position rather than getting skinned on the low rung? (shrug)

Not necessarily. I would chose one stop shopping over digging through box after box to find just the right book that is an easy pressing candidate.

Same goes for slabs. I probably looked at well over 150 slabs this weekend and only found one 9.6 that could even possibly be pressed to a 9.8. That being said, I still don't know that it's worth my time or effort to even do that. Plus, you still can't press page quality or quality of production.

:gossip: maybe they were 9.2s pressed to 9.6s

I think a lot of people here have missed the point of me asking Steve about a particular book. Steve Posted an X-men 94 in a for sell thread. I read his pressing crud, but no where in it did he say don't ask me if a book is pressed, I will refuse to disclose. I was interested in the X-men so I asked what I thought was a legitimate question. Steve refused to answer (his purgative) and proceeded to ridicule (his purgative). So all the pro-pressers thats have been saying "just ask, is that so hard" The answer is YES! I get Steve's point, he does not want to disclose any work done to books he is selling, buyer needs to accept his books could have been worked on, deal with it. Again, his purgative. Also note, I asked the one time, haven't since.

I read his pressing crud

....... hm and you wonder why I felt like some were only there to stir the pot.

My position is simple. I don't ever want to look like a liar or dishonest if I ever screw up (which, of course will happen), so instead of the way SOME people want me to disclose, I choose a blanket dislosure and let the collector decide.

No one here can tell me that the first person who makes an honest mistake about a book being "not pressed", won't get raked over the coals here and then on other boards. They will then be vindicated or not, but it will be after the fact. I don't want that to happen to me, it is not worth it. World wide kangaroo courts are not good for my business or reputation.

You just don't like my policy, I am o.k. with that.

My policy works very well for me and my customers.

Thaks for repeating what I just said Steve. I think we are both in 100% agreement. Like I said, I asked one time never asked again. As for the crud statement, your wording was not too clear that no one can ask but I get it now (thumbs u

I think a lot of people here have missed the point of me asking Steve about a particular book. Steve Posted an X-men 94 in a for sell thread. I read his pressing crud, but no where in it did he say don't ask me if a book is pressed, I will refuse to disclose. I was interested in the X-men so I asked what I thought was a legitimate question. Steve refused to answer (his purgative) and proceeded to ridicule (his purgative). So all the pro-pressers thats have been saying "just ask, is that so hard" The answer is YES! I get Steve's point, he does not want to disclose any work done to books he is selling, buyer needs to accept his books could have been worked on, deal with it. Again, his purgative. Also note, I asked the one time, haven't since.

I read his pressing crud

....... hm and you wonder why I felt like some were only there to stir the pot.

My position is simple. I don't ever want to look like a liar or dishonest if I ever screw up (which, of course will happen), so instead of the way SOME people want me to disclose, I choose a blanket dislosure and let the collector decide.

No one here can tell me that the first person who makes an honest mistake about a book being "not pressed", won't get raked over the coals here and then on other boards. They will then be vindicated or not, but it will be after the fact. I don't want that to happen to me, it is not worth it. World wide kangaroo courts are not good for my business or reputation.

You just don't like my policy, I am o.k. with that.

My policy works very well for me and my customers.

Thaks for repeating what I just said Steve. I think we are both in 100% agreement. Like I said, I asked one time never asked again. As for the crud statement, your wording was not too clear that no one can ask but I get it now (thumbs u

It's all good! (thumbs u

So in laymans term for a rookie like me. Do not spend exhorbitant amount of money for a 9.6 instead get a 9.2 or 9.4,take it out of 9.2 holder then go get it pressed and send it back and thier I got a 9.6 at a much cheaper price or am I missing something here? It can`t be that easy.

I can't remember any Gamer posting why they're happy to pay hundreds or thousands for a after-the-fact $50 press job. Sort of like a pyramid scheme, wouldn't it be best to take first position rather than getting skinned on the low rung? (shrug)

Not necessarily. I would chose one stop shopping over digging through box after box to find just the right book that is an easy pressing candidate.

Same goes for slabs. I probably looked at well over 150 slabs this weekend and only found one 9.6 that could even possibly be pressed to a 9.8. That being said, I still don't know that it's worth my time or effort to even do that. Plus, you still can't press page quality or quality of production.

No it wasn't. I asked so I can press it later if I want to. :gossip:

Some of you do seem to be in fantasy land on this thing. Thinking every second book if pressed will climb the grading ladder.

From my experience, I'd shudder to return a third of the books I've seen/handled/owned for the genuine risk that they'd get a lower grade than what was assingned orginally.

In the 'optimistic basket' maybe one in twenty.

In the 'it has a real chance' we're talking upwards of 1 in 80-100.

CGC for the most part get it right ACCORDING TO THEIR CRITERIA.

A lot of the time I don't necessarily agree with that criteria. But consistancy on their side is the name of the game, regardless, for the value of what we see in those thin blue/green/purple strips we see sitting at the top of each slab.

The reslab game is that, purely a game at this piont. And yes there has been plenty of high profile examples of books making some big grade leaps (cue Mastercheif taking a bow). But the books had the necessary attributes for that to happen... (ok, minus Boy Comics #?...someone at CGC needed to be shot for that fiasco). But overall your candidate list is small... very small.

It must be both. The "right candidate" books are super rare. But... there's enough "right candidates" to support Earl Scheib type setups.

I think the 'candidate' list does vary between Ages. You'll make no money truning 5.0's into 6.5's in the SA, & BA. But in the GA thats tangible dollars. And that area of the spectrum the list potentially could be larger than the 9.0, 9.2 into the magical 9.4, 9.6 group, which everyone seems to be focussing on.

It must be both. The "right candidate" books are super rare. But... there's enough "right candidates" to support Earl Scheib type setups.

I think the 'candidate' list does vary between Ages. You'll make no money truning 5.0's into 6.5's in the SA, & BA. But in the GA thats tangible dollars. And that area of the spectrum the list potentially could be larger than the 9.0, 9.2 into the magical 9.4, 9.6 group, which everyone seems to be focussing on.

I think it's more prevalent in late-Silver-Bronze comics than any other. There are more of these in higher grade condition and the trade-off of multiples between grades have migrated to make it worthwhile...

In fact, it's the most preferred genre judging by the frequency we're seeing currently on this Board...buy low, sell high really applies in this Age...

Jim

Actually, the BEST candidates are raw mid-grade GA books.

Go from a 5.5 to a 6.5-7.0 on a early GA and without slabbing, you make big $$$. Many mid grade GA collectors love those 6.5-7.0 books. That is why some people are pressing those without dislcosing. You ask if it's been pressed, they say no. There is no before scan and, after it is pressed, it does not go to CGC until the collector who bought it decides to slab it. At that point, no one knows if that book was pressed.

Happens all day long.

BTW.......same with mid grade SA keys.

bump

Don't worry. Only a few more days til you can start the "Pressing Thread of the Week" for next week. (thumbs u

Can't wait, I'm sure it will be an awesome read full of level-headed discourse, new ideas, changed opinions, and :news: revelations. :headbang:

bump

Don't worry. Only a few more days til you can start the "Pressing Thread of the Week" for next week. (thumbs u

Can't wait, I'm sure it will be an awesome read full of level-headed discourse, new ideas, changed opinions, and :news: revelations. :headbang:

(worship)