• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What I gained from the pressing thread

437 posts in this topic

So in laymans term for a rookie like me. Do not spend exhorbitant amount of money for a 9.6 instead get a 9.2 or 9.4,take it out of 9.2 holder then go get it pressed and send it back and thier I got a 9.6 at a much cheaper price or am I missing something here? It can`t be that easy.

It would only work if it has certain pressable defects. Pressing is not a cure all tonic.

So in laymans term for a rookie like me. Do not spend exhorbitant amount of money for a 9.6 instead get a 9.2 or 9.4,take it out of 9.2 holder then go get it pressed and send it back and thier I got a 9.6 at a much cheaper price or am I missing something here? It can`t be that easy.

From the sidelines that seems like common sense.

I can't remember any Gamer posting why they're happy to pay hundreds or thousands for a after-the-fact $50 press job. Sort of like a pyramid scheme, wouldn't it be best to take first position rather than getting skinned on the low rung? (shrug)

From the sidelines that seems like common sense.

I can't remember any Gamer posting why they're happy to pay hundreds or thousands for a after-the-fact $50 press job. Sort of like a pyramid scheme, wouldn't it be best to take first position rather than getting skinned on the low rung? (shrug)

Not necessarily. I would chose one stop shopping over digging through box after box to find just the right book that is an easy pressing candidate.

Same goes for slabs. I probably looked at well over 150 slabs this weekend and only found one 9.6 that could even possibly be pressed to a 9.8. That being said, I still don't know that it's worth my time or effort to even do that. Plus, you still can't press page quality or quality of production.

I think a lot of people here have missed the point of me asking Steve about a particular book. Steve Posted an X-men 94 in a for sell thread. I read his pressing crud, but no where in it did he say don't ask me if a book is pressed, I will refuse to disclose. I was interested in the X-men so I asked what I thought was a legitimate question. Steve refused to answer (his purgative) and proceeded to ridicule (his purgative). So all the pro-pressers thats have been saying "just ask, is that so hard" The answer is YES! I get Steve's point, he does not want to disclose any work done to books he is selling, buyer needs to accept his books could have been worked on, deal with it. Again, his purgative. Also note, I asked the one time, haven't since.

Don't mind me . . .

It would only work if it has certain pressable defects. Pressing is not a cure all tonic.

What are these so called pressable defects I should look for on Ebay or at a comic con?

What are these so called pressable defects I should look for on Ebay or at a comic con?

water stains, 2/12 inch corner creases, rat chews and missing pages

http://www.classicsincorporated.com/services_pressing.htm

I'm not an expert so I would defer that question to someone who is. But I would think any crease or wrinkle or dent that does not break color.

I think a lot of people here have missed the point of me asking Steve about a particular book. Steve Posted an X-men 94 in a for sell thread. I read his pressing crud, but no where in it did he say don't ask me if a book is pressed, I will refuse to disclose. I was interested in the X-men so I asked what I thought was a legitimate question. Steve refused to answer (his purgative) and proceeded to ridicule (his purgative). So all the pro-pressers thats have been saying "just ask, is that so hard" The answer is YES! I get Steve's point, he does not want to disclose any work done to books he is selling, buyer needs to accept his books could have been worked on, deal with it. Again, his purgative. Also note, I asked the one time, haven't since.

I read his pressing crud

....... hm and you wonder why I felt like some were only there to stir the pot.

My position is simple. I don't ever want to look like a liar or dishonest if I ever screw up (which, of course will happen), so instead of the way SOME people want me to disclose, I choose a blanket dislosure and let the collector decide.

No one here can tell me that the first person who makes an honest mistake about a book being "not pressed", won't get raked over the coals here and then on other boards. They will then be vindicated or not, but it will be after the fact. I don't want that to happen to me, it is not worth it. World wide kangaroo courts are not good for my business or reputation.

You just don't like my policy, I am o.k. with that.

My policy works very well for me and my customers.

I'm not an expert so I would defer that question to someone who is. But I would think any crease or wrinkle or dent that does not break color.

The majority of the items can not be seen in a scan. They usually can only be seen in hand.

...and even then you can have other defects that keep a book from grading higher...so you press the book, pay to have it graded and it comes back in the same grade...or even lower if you are unlucky.

:frustrated:

It happens all the time. I've had two fairly big books go down in grade for no reason other than CGC graded them differently that day.

:cry:

It really does take money, time, trial and error and patience.

R.

...and even then you can have other defects that keep a book from grading higher...so you press the book, pay to have it graded and it comes back in the same grade...or even lower if you are unlucky.

It happens all the time. I've had two fairly big books go down in grade for no reason other than CGC graded them differently that day.

R.

Oh, cut it out Roy! Just be honest with the people! (tsk)

O.K., if no one will admit it, I will:

If you catch a pressing fairy, keep her in a crystal jar with a pure silver lid, poke seven holes (no bigger than a needles tip) that form a Superman logo on the lid, and once a night, just before bed, lick the bottom of the jar with your tounge, .... if done correctly, the pressing fairy will grant that 1/2 the books you pick up the next day will be good candidates for pressing.

Feels so good to get that out in the open! (thumbs u

R.

If you catch a pressing fairy, keep her in a crystal jar with a pure silver lid, poke seven holes (no bigger than a needles tip) that form a Superman logo on the lid, and once a night, just before bed, lick the bottom of the jar with your tounge, .... if done correctly, the pressing fairy will grant that 1/2 the books you pick up the next day will be good candidates for pressing.

Tis that a clockwise lick, or anti-clockwise, or as it's more commonly known as 'MMM ...the muffin Mary method'.

Sorry kids, that might be lost on a few of you there, but with a bit of luck, you'll get it in a few years time.. MK :wishluck:

Stuff like this on an otherwise flawless book.....

NOVA3ULCBC.jpg

R.

Finally, someone talking sense here! :D

Andy

R.

Tis that a clockwise lick, or anti-clockwise, or as it's more commonly known as 'MMM ...the muffin Mary method'.

Sorry kids, that might be lost on a few of you there, but with a bit of luck, you'll get it in a few years time.. MK :wishluck:

I guess it`s the dirty little secret nobody wanted to talk about ;):)

I read his pressing crud

My position is simple. I don't ever want to look like a liar or dishonest if I ever screw up (which, of course will happen), so instead of the way SOME people want me to disclose, I choose a blanket dislosure and let the collector decide.

No one here can tell me that the first person who makes an honest mistake about a book being "not pressed", won't get raked over the coals here and then on other boards. They will then be vindicated or not, but it will be after the fact. I don't want that to happen to me, it is not worth it. World wide kangaroo courts are not good for my business or reputation.

I'm a little thick-headed but, I get the picture now. I'll talk comics with you and buy my books elsewhere.

No hard feelings,

Mike

I read his pressing crud

I'm a little thick-headed but, I get the picture now. I'll talk comics with you and buy my books elsewhere.

No hard feelings,

Mike

Mike-

No hard feeling here either. :foryou:

BTW.........for me, it's much more fun to talk about comics than to sell them. (thumbs u

R.

How do you manage to get half? I'm still operating at 20% :baiting: