• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic-Link November Auctions-Post Your Winners

345 posts in this topic

I sat out this auction as well. I'm not quite as wowed by the Rocky Mountain books... while very nice, if you compare the copies to the lower grade copies that are often listed in the same auction, you notice that the colors, gloss and richness of the book is actually better on the lower grade books.

While many Rocky Mountains may sport a 9.4 or 9.6, they're really not as nice eye appeal wise as you might think.

Really? (shrug)

They look great from my computer.

When there are multiple copies listed, look at the Rocky Mountain and compare the color strike of the books between them. I think you'll find the Rocky Mountains are nice, but really not that deep and rich. Frankly, I'd rather have nice color strike and a spine tick or two.

interesting. Brian were you able to see any of em in person ?

No -- and of course that's the best way to tell. Don't get me wrong, the Rocky Mountains are very, very nice books. But I have noticed just a slight variance as I looked through the auctions with multiple copies.

As everyone knows, i've been putting a huge emphasis on color strike, page quality and gloss over structural integrity (but not like a 6.0 or anything) so I'm very sensitive to looking at books for these "intangible" factors.

I sat out this auction as well. I'm not quite as wowed by the Rocky Mountain books... while very nice, if you compare the copies to the lower grade copies that are often listed in the same auction, you notice that the colors, gloss and richness of the book is actually better on the lower grade books.

While many Rocky Mountains may sport a 9.4 or 9.6, they're really not as nice eye appeal wise as you might think.

Really? (shrug)

When there are multiple copies listed, look at the Rocky Mountain and compare the color strike of the books between them. I think you'll find the Rocky Mountains are nice, but really not that deep and rich. Frankly, I'd rather have nice color strike and a spine tick or two.

Just wondering how you can tell for sure, the difference between the various books in regards to gloss and colour strike?

I do see the visible difference in colour and so forth between the books, but was attributing it to possible scanner settings, but I can't tell how there would be a difference in cover gloss from a scan alone.

Have you seen any of the Rock Mountains in person? Just wondering, I haven't seen any of them in person so I wouldn't know, and probably would have bid if funds were plentiful... (shrug)

Really? (shrug)

Just wondering how you can tell for sure, the difference between the various books in regards to gloss and colour strike?

I do see the visible difference in colour and so forth between the books, but was attributing it to possible scanner settings, but I can't tell how there would be a difference in cover gloss from a scan alone.

Have you seen any of the Rock Mountains in person? Just wondering, I haven't seen any of them in person so I wouldn't know, and probably would have bid if funds were plentiful... (shrug)

I would be surprised if there are different scanner settings considering that all the books are in Comiclink's hands so I would assume that since all scans look identical in format, they actually do the scanning. You can tell on gloss... to me it's based on some of the reflectivity in the scan and the brightness of the colors. I generally can tell from a good scan, and I've yet to be wrong upon actually receiving a book in person.

Really? (shrug)

Yes I am almost 100% positive that C-Link scans all their auctions and details of the book because they have all the books in their procession.

Which is why you usually get them pretty soon after you pay off the debt from the books u won.

I would be surprised if there are different scanner settings considering that all the books are in Comiclink's hands so I would assume that since all scans look identical in format, they actually do the scanning. You can tell on gloss... to me it's based on some of the reflectivity in the scan and the brightness of the colors. I generally can tell from a good scan, and I've yet to be wrong upon actually receiving a book in person.

Question for you guys. Why did CGC not award a pedigree status on the label for the Rocky Mountain Collection? Wouldn't 5000 Silver age comics in high grade count as a pedigree collection?

I spoke with Doug from CLink at the National and he said they are still trying to lobby CGC to change it's current status. But it is an uphill battle.

:news:

After being at the Big Apple Con, reading Volume 1 &2 of Kirby/Lee Fantastic Four, and going through the latest November Comic-Link auctions I have realized that................

MY X-MEN CGC's in my registry NEEDS TO GO! :o

I have been holding on to the notion that I need to have the 94-143 run because of me liking them years ago, but after seeing the great stuff like FF, TOS, and really needing to man-up and complete my Spidy run that the X-men run just doesnt feel right for me to own anymore. Most of the covers I am not that imprressed with and I find at every convention I am more admireing the FF, ASM, CAP, TOS, and Batman books before I even think to look at X-men.

So I am going to sell all my CGC X-mens books to fund other ventures.

I was never a big fan of the X-men books or their story lines, just the #94-143 run, so they need to go.

The only issues I am going to keep are X-men 141/142 but I think I am just going to buy them in CGC 9.8.

The JB/Dave Cockrum run is so easy to come buy so I really need to start getting the other SA books before they dry up in HG

SOT out